It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volkswagon New 300 MPG Not allowed in America "Too Efficient"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This being my first post please go easy. I searched ATS couldnt find anything about this but if there is an existing thread please mods feel free to delete or re locate.

So anywho. I learned this last night and was outraged. They wont allow this car to the Americas due to "high oil profits".

"No tour has been allowed for this car because the myth that 50 mpg is virtually impossible to obtain from even a stripped down econobox is too profitable to let go of, and when it comes to corporate oil profits, ignorance is bliss."

This is completely outrageous but then again what would it do to our status quo. Money is obviously power in this case and TPTB would never let this nifty car be open to public purchase. So we must continue our oil addiction and drive the roads with a combustible engine, a 100 year old technology.

thespiritscience.net...

Mod Edit-- The title of this thread is a bit misleading. According to the Following Article there are a number of good reasons why this particular car has been kept out of the American market.

Please review for further information.

Thread will remain as is, considering it's an interesting/cool thing anyway.
edit on 10/8/2014 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Added mod note.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MGaddafi

False.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

How ironic, I was just about to do that too.

Click here for Snopes page

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I wonder why some of the facts are different in this article? Namely Price. Also you have to remember, electricity comes from someplace. Its not exactly free. This vehicle looks like it would handle like a $130k kite.

I think I would rather have a tesla.

edit on 8-10-2014 by ArmyOfNobunaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Ahh I see. So they dont care if we buy THEIR green cars. But god forbid we buy someother companys green cars.

Thanks for the tidbit very informative.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
And don't even get me started on Kinder Eggs!

It's all a bunch of elitist hooey anyway.

Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

lol what about electric cars? they dont use any gas at all?!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

You know TPTB wouldnt let us use electric only cars. Well not widespread of course as some lucky few have electric cars.
We rely too much on oil, its almost this countrys life blood. Trade cheap clean energy for oil. OF COURSE NOT !!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MGaddafi

You know TPTB wouldnt let us use electric only cars. Well not widespread of course as some lucky few have electric cars.

Anyone is allowed to own all-electric cars. Almost every car company makes them -- Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Honda FitEV, SmartCar, Kia SoulEV, etc.

We rely too much on oil, its almost this countrys life blood. Trade cheap clean energy for oil. OF COURSE NOT !!

What percentage of electricity in the U.S. is clean? And how cheap do you mean?

Right now, 40% of the electricity in the U.S. comes from coal. Coal combustion is a relatively dirty method for generating electricity, not to mention that most coal comes from not-so-Eco-freindly surface mining.

Natural gas is starting to become a more popular method of electricity production in the U.S. (at 28%), but natural gas production also has its eco-problems -- namely hydro-fracking. Natural gas combustion to generate electricity may be greener, but fracking can contaminate the ground water.

Next (at 20% of the electricity generation in the U.S.) is nuclear power. Again, nuclear power is "green" at generation, but then there is that pesky issue of what to do with the nuclear waste.

edit on 10/8/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

Right now, 40% of the electricity in the U.S. comes from coal. Coal combustion is a relatively dirty method for generating electricity, not to mention that most coal comes from not-so-Eco-freindly surface mining.

Natural gas is starting to become a more popular method of electricity production in the U.S. (at 28%), but natural gas production also has its eco-problems -- namely hydro-fracking. Natural gas combustion to generate electricity may be greener, but fracking can contaminate the ground water.

Next (at 20% of the electricity generation in the U.S.) is nuclear power. Again, nuclear power is "green" at generation, but then there is that pesky issue of what to do with the nuclear waste.

Is there no hydro electric in the States? other than what comes off the Canadian grid?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

Is there no hydro electric in the States? other than what comes off the Canadian grid?

Hydro power accounts for a small percentage of the U.S. power grid (about 6 or 7 %). The U.S. uses much more power than Canada does.

edit on 10/8/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

What I meant is you wont see every one driving electric cars the way you see every one driving gasoline based cars.
It will be a little while before electric "green" cars are as widespread as the gas guzzlers.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Google search "lithium mining". You'll find that the production of the battery for electric vehicles alone, produces more pollution than a gas or diesel vehicle. Then consider where the electricity comes from to recharge these cars? The state of Pennsylvania, where I am at, is predominately powered by coal plants, so It doesn't make sense to have an electric vehicle in this state

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here is a couple of interesting articles about a volkswagon based car

www.jimstonefreelance.com...

with 74 mpg, you can fill the fuel tank ONCE, and go on an 890 mile road trip and never need to stop for fuel. This is something that both the manufacturer and European car magazines have made note of as being one astonishing aspect of this car. And most importantly The performance stats I posted here are for the most fuel efficient variant of this car. The one with the best economy stats will go 117 mph.

You can buy one of these amazing cars in Mexico, but you cannot buy it in America, or even hear about ANYTHING LIKE IT in the American press,

Mexican available product called the Volkswagen Clasico. The Clasico weighs in at a ton and a half empty, the lowest model has power door locks and AC, Air bags, and other things such as completely fly by wire engine controls and great emissions, yet the completely crash test safe full sized Clasico, similar in size to a Cadillac XTS is not allowed into America because it gets 50 mpg, can cruise at 110 mph perfectly safely with a top speed much higher and sells for only $12,000 U.S.

In Mexico, Clasicos get driven fruitcake fast on the auto pista and are indistiguishable from late model BMW and Mercedes cars at high speed, they actually are excellent and handle extremely well. It makes the Toledo I talked about look comparatively lackluster, and it is just too good of a car for too cheap to be sold in America. These are, as far as I know, at least allowed up to the U.S. without the threat of them being crushed the way the Toledo will be if you bring one up but you cannot buy a Clasico in the U.S

www.jimstonefreelance.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: amtracer

Thanks I was going to mention that. The by-products of obtaining the ingredients for those batteries pollutes way more than is offset by driving a Prius.

Also they claim corn ethanol burns clean, which it does, but only because the contaminants have been burned off and leaked into the air and soil at the plant which produced it.

Not to mention the diesel fuel required to produce the corn consumes more Btus than the corn ethanol provides.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm offended there is a mod edit it the OP for a different view. That's what replies are for. By misusing the ability to mod edit you have made the point that mods opinion counts for more.

While I fully expect this to be deleted, I enjoyed reading about all the different cars that are more productive than my gas guzzler and the information about how electrical cars may not be a better investment. Ty

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I just noticed the edit.

I didn't mean to mislead. I read the article and thought it was interesting so thus named the thread after it. Sorry for any confusion. I apologize as it wasn't my intent.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MGaddafi
This being my first post please go easy. I searched ATS couldnt find anything about this but if there is an existing thread please mods feel free to delete or re locate.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

a search for 300 found it.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Ah good find. Mods please close.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Wow, in gods name... mods let this stay? You've got to be kidding. At least they put a disclaimer but it should be trashed on a number of reasons. Hoax bin for the blatant lies in the OP. And the fact its been posted a half-dozen times to the forum previously.

Example 1.

Example 2.

Example 3.

Example 4.

Really? The duplicate thread rule doesn't apply for some reason anymore...

Is Volkswagen XL1 banned in the US? (Snopes) NO. Categorically false.

Not only that, but it can't be banned in the US because it has been in the US. Albeit heavily modified to meet safety specs, as the stock model doesn't.

Volkswagen is taking three XLs on tour around the U.S. at the moment, and while they're extremely limited in where they can go on public roads for a variety of reasons, your Jalopnik staff talked VW into letting us all take the briefest of spins around Manhattan."It's gonna put the oil companies out of business!" he said. Well, not quite, but it can't hurt

Forgetting for a second that its only a two seater, is not fast at all, but has the insane price tag of ~$150,000USD, there is good reason for it not to be in the US. Because its crap.

For the same money you can buy a Tesla Roadster, which outperforms many Porsche, Ferrari. And if you need functionality, you can get a Model S, actually, nearly two Model S's for the same price. * Both of which are entirely electric.

Crap, crap, crap. Stop flooding the S&T forum with crap, that's been posted before so many times, and is just obviously wrong. Anyone who has seen a Tesla Roadster/Model S can deduce this doesn't make sense.

Tesla projected to sell 100,000 Units/Year by 2016
edit on 9-10-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

top topics

join