It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Ebola Victim Duncan's Body?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I wonder who and what will be handling the body of Mr. Duncan now that he has passed. Also will he remain in America or be sent back to Africa?
I found a article but it's not 100% clear on details.

The first patient to be diagnosed with Ebola in the United States died from the disease Wednesday and now Dallas health officials are facing a situation they have not before experienced: how to handle a body that could remain highly contagious for several days.

Because Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with bodily fluids, the CDC recommends hospital staff should not attempt to clean the deceased or remove any medical lines or tubes. Instead, “the body should be wrapped in a plastic shroud” and immediately placed in two thick and zippered leakproof bags for transport to the morgue.

“Since they don't have a good handle on controlling the disease itself, they are worried about an epidemic,” Cavender told Yahoo News. “So that's one way to help keep it from going further. Because if we embalm, we are going to come in contact with all the body fluids and everything. With universal precautions we shouldn't, but accidents happen on occasion.”

Instead, the CDC says, the “remains should be cremated or buried promptly in a hermetically sealed casket.” The casket must secure “against the escape of microorganisms” and have valid documentation for being airtight.

“There's really not an airtight casket,” said Cavender, who has been in the funeral business for 28 years.

“The sealer caskets that they sell are not a guaranteed-type of sealing issue. It's not completely airtight because you have to have a way to open them up and so forth. It's not like it's vacuum-sealed,” he said.

Link

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I have airtight gun cases that truly are airtight. How difficult can it be to build one on a larger scale?

I think cremation is the best option, however.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Immediate cremation without embalming is the only safe option. The only reason to embalm anyone is to keep the body from smelling during the funeral and there isn't going to be one, not in the usual sense.

It's still possible to go to the Arctic where the permafrost is thawing and dig up bodies of people who died from the Spanish flu and revive the virus. Bad idea, but it's been done.

If this gets out of hand, cremation will be the only viable solution just because mass burials of something so contagious produce their own set of nightmares, and ditch diggers are not known for their working knowledge of biological hazards, and floods happen in cemeteries.

The good news? The DHS won't be able to use those bulk coffin liners for this particular issue.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Staroth

The norm I cremation for biological infections like ebola, this the best way to make sure that the virus doesn't survive outside the body.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If they bury him here in America couldn't someone go dig it up and contain the Ebola virus, like a terrorist or nut? That's pretty scary, should they take the burial route. Which was mentioned as a possibility in the article.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Cremation, ASAP, after any data collected that they need. And for the love of... clean the facilities afterwards!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Yea he will be incinerated faster than i can type this. It is a necessary precaution

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I'm sure the lawyers are licking their lips at this one. It won't be long before an Ebola victim will have the right to be a martyr, deserving of everyone's kisses, and should be paraded around the city to remind everyone of the suffering he/she had to endure. Mark my words, the next victim will probably have all kind of new "rights" we've never seen before...yea for unicorns and rainbows....

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
They should definitely be cremating the body.
If they don't, they are just asking for it to spread more, or even re-spread years from now.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
With the way my city has handled this whole debacle I really hope they do it right this time. But it wouldn't surprise me that they've probably already mishandled his body and not followed protocol.

Let's hope I'm wrong!!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: jrflipjr

I'm sure the lawyers are licking their lips at this one. It won't be long before an Ebola victim will have the right to be a martyr, deserving of everyone's kisses, and should be paraded around the city to remind everyone of the suffering he/she had to endure. Mark my words, the next victim will probably have all kind of new "rights" we've never seen before...yea for unicorns and rainbows....

Jesse Jackson was on the news doing what he does best. Fame off another mans problem!
link

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
They should definitely be cremating the body.
If they don't, they are just asking for it to spread more, or even re-spread years from now.

I agree!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
With the way my city has handled this whole debacle I really hope they do it right this time. But it wouldn't surprise me that they've probably already mishandled his body and not followed protocol.

Let's hope I'm wrong!!

I thought the same! Yet they are letting the same ones handle the body...Unreal!

top topics

join