It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time To Boycott Macy's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
First I have to clarify the fact that I am in no way a religous fanatic. I am a god fearing man, yet I push my personal views on no one, and do not persecute anyone on their own beliefs. Believe in and worship your god as you see fit, however don't try and "convert" others to your particular beliefs. That's just how I see it, and raise my children to believe the same way.
That being said, retailers, MACY's being one of them have banned the words "Merry Christmas" from the store. Are you kidding me? The Christmas season is one of anticipation, and great joy for what I must assume is the vast majority of Americans. How can this be justified. It's not like a priest is trying to baptise everyone who comes into the store while screaming "Praise Jesus!". The term Merry Christmas is just a term. Many don't even understand the religous significance of the words. It's just a holiday greeting that brings a smile to the faces of those that exchange the 2 words. Personally speaking, I WILL NOT spend 1 penney in a store that bans these 2 words. Reatailers are always crying about how they're not making enough money during the Christmas Season as they used to.
Really people what is the harm?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The point is that if Macy's wants to pull the use of Merry Christmas items in their store, its their own business. If people dont like it, oh well. As a private company don't they have the right to make the decision not to show something, irregardless of the reasoning, it is after all their store, right? Or are they required to bend to the will of everyone but thier board of directors?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Start writing your letters!!

MACYS.COM

Click on contact us..........

Let em know you won't be "consuming" from a scrooge.........

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

The point is that if Macy's wants to pull the use of Merry Christmas items in their store, its their own business. If people dont like it, oh well. As a private company don't they have the right to make the decision not to show something, irregardless of the reasoning, it is after all their store, right? Or are they required to bend to the will of everyone but thier board of directors?

While I can't say that you're argument is an irrelevant one, the point I was trying to make is this. Why do these corporate giants bend to the will of a very VERY small percentage of the public? If they were to weigh the difference between being boycotted by those who are offended by the term Merry Christmas, and those who use it every year - I would bet dollars to donuts that they would have the words Merry Christmas etched in the floors. The words Happy Hannukah, and Kwaanza can be found there - why not Merry Christmas?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
The words Happy Hannukah, and Kwaanza can be found there - why not Merry Christmas?

Do you really not know the answer to this?? Be careful of what you say or the pc police will come screeching around the corner with their threats of a law suit or other...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
bend to the will of a very VERY small percentage of the public?

Because if you add all the Jewish, Muslims, Pagans, and other non Christians...it is not a small minority...Personally I could care less whether it says "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas"....but I think all this silly PC crap is just that......

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I work across the street from Macy's (the big NYC store). The place is decked in x-mas lights. The windows are all x-mas displays. I find it odder that they do all this christmas decorating and yet there isn't a menorah in sight. Not saying Merry Christmas is ridiculous. they aren't taping every employee so they can't enforce this rule. As a jewish person, I am not offended by sales people wishing me a merry x-mas. I'm more offended by the decorations everywhere and not a jewish symbol in sight (and I'm not bothered by that at all).

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I guess its a matter of viewpoint, I don't see switching from "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays" as bending to one group's will over the other but rather including multiple groups. The term Holidays to me includes not only Christmas, Hannukah, and Kwaanza but any other celebrated time. I find it better that they include all versus one, because if the tables were turned and Macy's had used "Happy Yule, Merry meet and Merry Part" it would be just as big a fiasco. Of course as long as they tell me an accepable price or say "yes we can" when I ask a question about an exchange, I couldnt give a flying flip less what salutation they use.

top topics

join