It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody watching baseball now? Why not?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Baseball. I used to like it then at some point it seemed to change. The games take way too long. Remember the "human rain delay" Mike Hargrove? He'd step out of the batter's box a dozen times and fool with that rubber thumb ring. It seems like they all do that now, to a degree.

DH? Bah. Don't like it.

Payrolls are out of control. Players are crybabies. I can't put my finger on any one thing, but somewhere around the early 80s I just lost interest in MLB. Same with open wheel racing. I never was much of a stock car guy, but at one point I liked and followed Indy car. Now, I have no interest in any racing. Sometimes I read up on who won a race or check to see who's got the points lead, but I couldn't tell you the last time I actually watched one. Drivers used to be interesting. Now they're all corporate wonks and all drive cookie cutter machines. I'd rather watch a kid play Mario Kart.

High school basketball used to be king here. Now with class basketball, it's been diluted enough I don't really follow that either.

College hoops have been ruined for me with the one and done guys. One of the worst things the NBA has done is not permit teams to draft guys right out of high school. I don't even know how they can do that legally, but there it is.

If the NFL keeps fooling with the rules, I don't know how much longer I'll follow that, either.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I could never understand how Americans get excited about watching a sport that is based on the English game called "Rounders"

Rounders is a game played by girls here in The U.K.

Anyone can run around and kick a soccer ball lol, but it takes a special person to hit a 99 mph fastball.

You mean like a cricket batsman ?

I think the real difference is in BB they have the change up, slider, curveball, fastball, pitchout, etc. Only cricket has a googly. That's manly dude. Bwahahahahaha.....

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I could never understand how Americans get excited about watching a sport that is based on the English game called "Rounders"

Anyone can run around and kick a soccer ball lol, but it takes a special person to hit a 99 mph fastball.

I think the real difference is in BB they have the change up, slider, curveball, fastball, pitchout, etc. Only cricket has a googly. That's manly dude. Bwahahahahaha.....

Cricket bowling actions

Swing

Seam

Cut

Off Spin

Leg Spin

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Cricket bowling actions

Swing

Seam

Cut

Off Spin

Leg Spin

Sounds like figure skating to me.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Hitting a round ball with a round bat while not knowing what kind of pitch is being thrown is the hardest thing to do in any sport. I've played most of the popular sports and that is by far the most difficult.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

That's a damn good point. A BB bat is cylindrical and has to make damn near perfect contact at that speed. The cricket bat is wider and flat. Much easier to hit a ball with:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo
The Royals are on TBS but I don't know if your father in law can get it without cable. Just buy a 12 pack and invite him over for the game.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

So is your team the the one the Niners beat Sunday or the one they are going to beat Monday night?

The Chiefs are my homer team in the NFL, but I'm really a K-State Wildcat at heart. Totally bleed purple.

I think we had a shot to win that game, but made too many mistakes. Andy Reid could learn a thing or two about coaching a disciplined team from Coach Snyder.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I'm unable to watch the MLB playoffs due to my work schedule. I think it's the best spectator sport, and don't watch much of any other sports. Also, I seldom watch college sports which is about the same to me as watching little league.
edit on 8-10-2014 by GreenElf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
a reply to: alldaylong

Hitting a round ball with a round bat while not knowing what kind of pitch is being thrown is the hardest thing to do in any sport. I've played most of the popular sports and that is by far the most difficult.

it is, indeed, the hardest thing to do in any sport. Even as a fan, you can catch run a route, have Manning throw you a pass, and catch it. You can take a shot from the three point line and make it, you can take a shot on goal and make it (although the staying upright on skates part is difficult), but odds are you can't come close to hitting a pitch from even the worst minor league pitcher.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

I'd agree with most of what you say, but I think I could hit off the worst minor league pitcher.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join