It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US F-15 down in Lincolnshire UK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Story just breaking on Twitter and the BBC, they are reporting that a US F-15 has crashed in Lincolnshire

www.bbc.co.uk...

Sky are claiming that the pilot has managed to escape with minor injuries.

news.sky.com...
edit on 8-10-2014 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I said years ago that they were going to start falling out of the sky soon, due to their age. No idea if that played a role here, but two this close together is a bad sign.

It came down intact. You can clearly see one tail sticking up from the field where it hit.

The aircraft belongs to the 493rd Fighter Squadron out of RAF Lakenheath.

edit on 10/8/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

Theres a couple million in the dirt.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Weather has been diabolical in the UK today maybe this is one of the reasons. Either way sod how much is costs glad the pilot is ok

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Aye, this image has just poped up on twitter.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Been burst of rain and gusty, Not out of the ordinary for a winters day though? nothing a warplane shouldn't be able to handle?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I'm just happy that no one was hurt.

But I agree with Zaph...even though it was a great plane in it's day, it is getting long in the tooth. Retire the F-15 before the A-10 as far as I'm concerned. I could be wrong, but I think the A-10 is made to take those stresses of flight better than the F-15.

edit on 8-10-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: solidshot I suppose so, I know where I was today I was considering to travel to work in my dad's boat

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Unless they were flying low level, I seriously doubt weather played a role. I'm betting structural failure.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Seems to have landed on it's belly..Maybe the Pilot ejected at the last possible minute...if so, well done that Man.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Wow, she came down hard. He either target locked and flew into the ground (doubtful with it being a C model), ejecting at the last second, or lost power and rode it in trying to steer clear of anything. It looks like it was intact at impact though. Be interesting to see what happened.

With no reports of a radio call yet, it must have happened pretty fast.

Looking at that pic, there was a pretty significant vertical component at impact. The exhaust is pointed down, the the way the tails are canted outward show that it hit fairly flat and hard.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Sounds like it came apart in the Air..

"The wing is in a field about 400 yards from the school. [I'm] just glad nobody has been hurt.

EDIT..Unless the Rest of the plane is also 400 yards from the School..

edit on 8-10-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Yep, see my edit above. It had to have a vertical component to the impact. Sounds like the wing came off and he went into a flat spin, impacting flat.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
And with a pylon not very far infront of him as well i'd imagine he'd have to very quickly pick a 'good' spot as it wouldn't be very pretty with about 700kv arcing around

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

If the aircraft was in a flat spin as has been speculated. I seriously doubt he had a huge amount of choice in where it came down?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It's POSSIBLE that he may have tried to keep it under control, ala IAI F-15, and was able to keep it level until it came down. If he was able to keep it under control, minus wing, for any length of time that is an impressive bit of flying.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
As someone born and bred not 15 miles from that crash, I would like to condemn the disgraceful aggression of the United States. This is basically an act of war against the Yellow Belly nation!

Our fields, our rules!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Im not far from there ...

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: countingdown

I think there's a huge pumpkin field nearby. If it crashed into that we'd be looking at a real American tragedy as Autumn sets in.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Maverick Eject Eject. That has got to be one of the scariest feelings in the world, going into a flatspin. I would think the G's against your body, would make it hard to even eject. Glad the pilot is OK

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join