It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada delays fighter purchase

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Bleh. We could be cranking out our own licence built Rafale's by now. More than enough to do the job and built at home.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
It's a political move. The Conservatives want these jets, Canadians don't. They'll put this off until the election next year. It's not looking too good for the Conservatives to win the next election though and this could permanently be in the pan.

I hope we see what happened with the PQ last election, happens with PC this time around.

Oh I can dream.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Orwells Ghost

Considering the success they had selling the Rafael (almost none at all), it would have been beyond shocking to see that happen.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I hear ya. That's what blows me away, France is so desperate to sell those bad boys they are all but giving them away; full technology disclosure, local licence building options, training. It's the steal of the century for a modern, non-stealth multi-role fighter.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
considering the entire population of Canada is millions less than the state of California, I don't see a problem with this.

And 26% of it is around Toronto. We've got LOTS of open space.

you're right, you lucky bastard...and lots of clean water, with thousands of lakes to live around. out here in calif, I'm prohibited from washing off my driveway, I water my grass every 6 days (light-brown with a hint of green is the color)...what really pisses me off is the McMansions all have lush green lawns, and swimming pools, corporate and company landscapes are also green and lush. as usual, the wealthy gain, while the regular homeowner gets screwed.
edit on 8-10-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

And 26% of it is around Toronto. We've got LOTS of open space.

The twin- vs single-engine debate will never die. Like anything it is a series of design compromises. There are reasons to forgo a twin arrangement if a single engine of the same rating is available. It's extra weight generally, and cost, and maintenance. I think it was Bill Gunston who said (half tongue-in-cheek) that twin engines doubles your chance of engine failure. Engine related Class A mishaps by flight hour are typically lower in twin-engine aircraft, however. That's a big deal, especially if you're operating a small number of airframes to begin with.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
considering the entire population of Canada is millions less than the state of California, I don't see a problem with this.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have mentioned this fact to other people re: Canadian military, to keep in mind OUR tax base. There are more people in California than all of Canada.

This might be an example of our military budget - gariac sent me this link, robbing part from a museum plane for an in-service C-130 Herc.
www.bbc.com...

edit on 9-10-2014 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join