It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cobra meeting in UK, NHS hospitals put on alert.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
David Cameron chairs a meeting later today on how to mitigate the 'low risks' ebola poses to the UK. Doctors and hospitals urged to be alert to the risks. Travelers are still not being screened as they enter the UK.

www.independent.co.uk... tml" target="_blank" class="postlink">LINK

I've been watching this situation develop since January. I already knew what ebola was. Most people I talk to in the UK don't know, haven't heard of it or assume it will be taken care of by the higher powers. I sat by watching, continually wondering why this has reached the level it has.

Deception?
Stupidity?
Incompetence?

Ebola has been shown to be the stuff of nightmares. Mainly due to it's fatality rate. And the horrid death it causes. The world today has never had to deal with a truly catastrophic outbreak of deadly disease.

We have to power and resources and knowledge to deal with it.

Why aren't we dealing with it?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
None of us is a world leader and I'm sure literally all of us is thinking, "just stop all transport from there".

They don't care. Not about us, not about anything - or they would have closed the travel routes a month ago.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: number38

Travelers are still not being screened as they enter the UK.

Do you guys take off your shoes and stand tall before the X-ray machine? Do they "wand" your armpits and crotch?

Nope , no Ebola here… Next!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Exactly! With our current *look...something shiny* society we have. Until some reality tv star makes not wearing diamonds, and some other gew gah takes it's place in social media gone viral popularity, they won't close the door on lucrative ventures.

It's all about money, plain and simple. The UK is going to follow the corporate playbook, just as the U.S. has done.

Des

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Well guys I will let you all know if airport measures have been taken as flying in from Charles de Gaule international airport in France to Manchester at the end of the day.

Currently in the departure lounge after going through the normal security inspections (although this time I had my hands, shoes and belt swabbed for explosives which is new for me.)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Totally agree! A low risk is still too much risk in my opinion, and that we should...oh wait...I think I see something shiny...what was I saying? Couldn't have been important because I got my half price sofa, I can watch the news in comfort.
edit on 8-10-2014 by number38 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Exactly! With our current *look...something shiny* society we have. Until some reality tv star makes not wearing diamonds, and some other gew gah takes it's place in social media gone viral popularity, they won't close the door on lucrative ventures.

It's all about money, plain and simple. The UK is going to follow the corporate playbook, just as the U.S. has done.

Des

So what we need is a celebrity Ebola case. Someone to say "Hi, I'm Chet Sexyton, and you may not know it now, but I have Ebola. No guff. I'll probably be dead by the time you see this message."

That is when all the herbal remedies, blood thickeners and creams to hide your sores will start being marketed... and that's about when we'll all be ready to panic.

So far, we haven't all seen people die from it, and that's likely why it isn't urgent. Sure, I am aware of Ebola. Isn't that an "Over There" disease?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CrikeyMagnet

That's about it. That is when the home shopping network will be presenting the all new, personal hygiene kits. Complete with decorative surgical face masks with matching neoprene gloves, and personal perfume scented bleach sprays. Ninja Turtle motif kits for your kids to take to school.

When to be aware of ebola becomes cool, and profitable to some, then and only then, will people open their damn eyes. It will be too late then.

Des

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
750 troops being sent to help west african outbreak.

www.bbc.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Link

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
might be interesting to some members but i am a nurse who works in a acute hospital setting.

Last week i was told to go off on a 3 hour training course on ebola infection control because our unit as been designated as one of the area's were any individuals who become contaminated will be taken should there be a widespread epidemic.

The NHS is already buying up equipment for the possibility of a outbreak.

The "have you been to Africa recently?" question is also now one of our first for anyone who is spiking a bit of a temp.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Just arrived at the airport in Manchester... No specific measures here.

As promised in my post earlier.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: number38

As I've stated on other Threads (along with a few others I'm sure), Travel to these affected Country's should have been halted back in June! Except for Medical Staff!

But no.... there;'s money in them Country's there, people have cash invested!

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink">LINK< br />
Seems odd that they won't just step things up a bit and just screen at airports. If it gets to the UK and spreads the backlash against this decision will be huge. Seems like basic panic control, no screening equals no scaring. They won't do anything until it pops up here, as it did in the US.

People already starting to feel paranoid: www.independent.co.uk... la-9781366.html" target="_blank" class="postlink">LINK

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Here is a very simple measure.

Stop anyone with Passports from west africa coming into the UK, refuse entry to anyone who has had a stamp put on there passport from said country and any proof of flight transfer.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: number38
David Cameron chairs a meeting later today on how to mitigate the 'low risks' ebola poses to the UK. Doctors and hospitals urged to be alert to the risks. Travelers are still not being screened as they enter the UK.

www.independent.co.uk... tml" target="_blank" class="postlink">LINK

I've been watching this situation develop since January. I already knew what ebola was. Most people I talk to in the UK don't know, haven't heard of it or assume it will be taken care of by the higher powers. I sat by watching, continually wondering why this has reached the level it has.

Deception?
Stupidity?
Incompetence?

Ebola has been shown to be the stuff of nightmares. Mainly due to it's fatality rate. And the horrid death it causes. The world today has never had to deal with a truly catastrophic outbreak of deadly disease.

We have to power and resources and knowledge to deal with it.

Why aren't we dealing with it?

Because for some reason they want it to spread.

The sensible, most obvious and first action we would expect from authorities would be to stop everyone leaving there, keep the virus contained as much as is possible. If they can't stop people leaving there then we would expect our authorities to pull up our drawbridges and refuse entry.

Citizens seem to be the only ones concerned.

The UK we aren't even screening travelers for Ebola, it's as if our gov and authorities are on a different planet and oblivious to its existence. No precautions in place whatsoever. It's bizarre.

It's as if they want it to spread. What other reason could there be for the glaring lack of action.?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Some steps being taken in the U.S. now...

Newly Vigilant, U.S. Will Screen Fliers for Ebola

However, health experts said the measures were more likely to calm a worried public than to prevent many people with Ebola from entering the country.

Also screening just the people (with a non-contact thermometer) whose travel originated in Africa "in case they develop symptoms in flight." Wouldn't they need to screen people leaving the U.S. now too?

Dulles, JFK, Newark, Atlanta, and O'Hare airports.

"But none of this would have helped in the case of Thomas Duncan, who didn't become sick until days after he arrived."

The touchless thermometers being used at Dallas-area schools, and I'm assuming at the airports?

edit on 10/9/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: number38
750 troops being sent to help west african outbreak.

www.bbc.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Link

Have you seen the pictures of them training where they are wearing visors that are open at the bottom? i really would not be happy with that being my protection if I was being sent to Africa.

It's just a matter of time now for the first UK case. I still have some hope that it will be contained but realistically we will get at least a few cases.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Last night on the BBC regional news show for NW England, there was a small piece of news about a school in Stockport, Cheshire (Saint Simon's RC school) which has turned away a local boy from being allowed to attend, as he had recently returned from a trip to Liberia.

He isn't symptomatic, but I don't think he was actually tested. Based on new information coming to light about the possibility for virus transfer prior to becoming symptomatic, I would say the school got it spot-on. However, there are apparently protests about his exclusion from classes.

I suppose time will tell whether he, or any of his family, are carriers of the disease..

It was quite a shock to hear that this had happened, of all places, in my own home town of 180,000 residents.

Will have a look to see if there is any more info available.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Your post confirms that travellers who are infected may be arriving at airports, getting through the check-out lines and entering society, all the while carrying the deadly disease. In my other post I wasn't sure what measures were in place, but it seems that carriers might easily be coming in based on your info.

Slightly concerned now.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Here is a very simple measure.

Stop anyone with Passports from west africa coming into the UK, refuse entry to anyone who has had a stamp put on there passport from said country and any proof of flight transfer.

Sounds feasible. But what if they have, say, Liberian passports but say that they live in Europe?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join