It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kurds: Air strikes push Islamic State back from Kobani

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Haaretz Source!!!

The town of Kobani discovers some respite in the midst of fresh Airstrikes!!!

This news comes after the town was set to be overran by "Islamic" State fighters just yesterday!!!

REUTERS - U.S.-led air strikes on Wednesday pushed Islamic State fighters back to the edges of the Syrian Kurdish border town of Kobani, which they had appeared set to seize after a three-week assault, Kurdish officials in the town said.

Islamic State hoisted its black flag on the eastern edge of the town on Monday but, since then, air strikes by a U.S.-led coalition that includes Gulf states opposed to Islamic State have redoubled.

It's welcome news for the Kurds who were pushed back over the past couple of weeks, some fleeing into neighbouring Turkey!

"They are now outside the entrances of the city of Kobani. The shelling and bombardment was very effective and as a result of it, IS have been pushed from many positions," Idris Nassan, deputy foreign minister of Kobani district, told Reuters by phone.

"This is their biggest retreat since their entry into the city and we can consider this as the beginning of the countdown of their retreat from the area.

There is frustration at Turkey's inaction in the town!!!

"There's growing angst about Turkey dragging its feet to act to prevent a massacre less than a mile from is border," an unnamed senior administration official was quoted as saying by the New York Times.

Personally I think that Turkey bringing in nearly 200,000 refugees is a hell of an action...

So overall, good news for the Kurds, who were struggling apparently to deal with the recent surge by IS!!!

It doesn't suggest whose Airstrikes brought forward this development!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Personally I think that Turkey bringing in nearly 200,000 refugees is a hell of an action...
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs It was more like those 200,000 fled to Turkey rather then Turkey bringing them in .It seems that they needed a safer place to run to and Turkey was it .

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Maybe my friend...
They still stood down and allowed them in though, I think that's a Testement to their approach in this War!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
But with one of the biggest militarizes over there and being a NATO member you would think if ISIS is such a threat they would want to get them there instead of taking a stand on their border .The whole ISIS thing is a bit confusing from many perspectives and most do not make sense imo . a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Turkey has a lot to answer for when this is over with, If Turkey closed the borders with Syria none of this would even happen, its Turkey thats behind the ISIS AND FSA.

Along with the Gulf states that have being funding them for there terror. Why would even Biden make the slip of the tongue if they werent?
edit on 8-10-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

No doubt, but they did say they're willing to put boots on the ground if the West go after Assad...
They're a bit hesitant I think to combat IS alone without back up troops...

Also as a NATO member if IS go past the boarder the whole of NATO has to get involved.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Turkey has had problems with the Kurds. This simply allows them to put some water on that fire. PR and stuff like that.

What the Kurds need are recoilless rifles and mortars, anti armor weapons and light artillery.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

Biden is a bit of a jerk off though & I wouldn't trust his word that much!

I'm not sure where you get the info about Turkey causing these problems, I'd appreciate a link pal!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
While Turkey has taken in nearly 200,000 refugees, such action would be expected of any state in the same situation.

Turkey should be lauded for helping 200,000 Kurds. But they should be condemned for sitting on a nearby hill while watching half of Kobani fall to IS. They should be condemned for trying to extort political favours from the Kurds and the West, in return for military intervention. They should be condemned for allegedly halting the transport of aid and Kurdish fighters across the border to defend the city of Kobani.

edit on 8-10-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
There was talk awhile back that Turkey was thinking about a false flag to go into Syria after Assad .Why do they want Assad gone ? And if they do then why would they want to kill ISIS that wants to get rid of Syria ? There is much more here then what meets the eyes but if you put your imagination to work the official stories make no sense and what you are left with is that Turkey and the other ME forces are using and helping ISIS . But why ? a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I suspect its more to do with a pipeline that cuts Russia out for some reason. I keep reading about odd bits of why Assad isn't wanted but the guy had kept the warring factions apart and living peacefully before all this started.

When you look at the men the West has sought fit to remove and then look later at the state of their countrys' these men carried out a roll that kept their country's functioning and reasonably safe. the West's legacy is far worse and its time to realise that the |West has a completely different and today far removed psychology to many ME country's and the gap or chasm is too far apart for many to accept on both sides.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs It was more like those 200,000 fled to Turkey rather then Turkey bringing them in .It seems that they needed a safer place to run to and Turkey was it .

Turkey could have closed the border, so I think at least a little pat on the damn back is in order - don't you?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Not sure . I mean if they would have closed the border ,don't you think that would have put them in a vary bad light ? It's kind of if Russia had not stepped into the situation about chemical weapons that Syria had at the time ,the US might have started bombing despite the chemical attacks being carried out by the rebels at the time .I didn't see any of the western leaders giving Putin a slap on the back for stoping the west from making a Big bo-bo . a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

edit on 8-10-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

It was more like those 200,000 fled to Turkey rather then Turkey bringing them in .It seems that they needed a safer place to run to and Turkey was it .

And that says something, when Turkey represents a safer place for Kurds!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I honestly think that people would be happy to see their governments being active about the situation rather than having catered meetings about it at the marriott.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I'm not sure where you get the info about Turkey causing these problems, I'd appreciate a link pal!

The fact that has being arming FSA for the three and half years and has not closed the borders that says a lot, i will post a thread on it later on i have my sources.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

So you advocate a 'NATO' member going into Syria?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
They probably could have pressured the countries contributing to the Syrian/Libyan/Iraq and next Iran regime changes .Instead of looking at it like we have this big war hammer and trying to fix or make things better by using the military option weather covert or overt .Dont forget that deep within all of this is the CIA .Where is their wisdom ? I am sure someone will come forward in time but by then we may be left with ISIS running the show over there .Maybe that is the plan ...dont know a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

NATO members are also still sovereign nations and should be expected to behave as they please, without concern for NATO.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
NATO members are also still sovereign nations and should be expected to behave as they please, without concern for NATO.

You're going to honestly sit there and think that when and IF Turkey violates Syrian territory that it wont be seen as 'NATO' aggression and a further attempt to overthrow Assad?

Airstrikes were undertaken to help combat ISIS but that was seen simply as an attack on Assad as well.

So which is it?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join