It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm tired of the hypocrisy - Another K9 killed after being left in a car by his partner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
If a K9 is clamped onto your leg and you kick it trying to get loose, you're charged with assault on an officer. The general population is told to view police K9's as official officers. If you punch one, kick one, kill one, or look at one cross-eyed it's the same consequences as doing it to a human officer.

So why are cops, the K9's partner and caretaker, allowed to leave them to die in vehicles without being charged with killing an officer?? There was a story last month about an incident, but that's not what set off this rant. No, what got me going was an incident that occurred on Sept. 28 in Ohio.

Montville police say its K9 officer, Beny, died from injuries consistent with heat stroke, while in the back of a police vehicle in the parking lot of the police department on Sept. 28.

According to Montville police, Sgt. Brett Harrison arrived at the station at 10:54 a.m. and began working on paperwork. At 3:13 p.m., Harrison returned to the cruiser and discovered the dog lying lifeless in the rear passenger compartment’s kennel.

4 hours in the police department parking lot and no one noticed this dog? That, however, isn't what got me riled up. This is:

Sgt. Harrison was found to have violated policy and procedures. He received a two-week unpaid suspension and a loss of 40 hours of vacation.
The prosecutor for the SPCA of Medina County is reviewing the case to determine whether criminal charges should be filed against the officer.

So he lost a total of 3 weeks of pay? Not to mention the SPCA is the one looking into pressing criminal charges, not, you know, internal affairs!

Sgt. Harrison cared deeply about Beny. He worked with him 40+ hours a week and Beny lived with Sgt. Harrison and his family when the two were off duty.

He worked and lived with this dog! It was his partner and his pet. Yet he left it in a car with the windows rolled up! Yes, accidents happen. But you know what? It's still homicide when a civilian accidentally kills someone else through negligence.

ETA to add Link
edit on 10/8/2014 by halfpint0701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
How hot could it possibly get on September 28th in Ohio? Heat stroke seems highly unlikely.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Air temp was 69 when he left the dog and 79 that day when the dog was found. Yes, Ohio is bipolar and not unusual in Sept. and even Oct. to have the heat on in the mornings and the a/c on in the afternoon. The sun is also crazy hot when it's out. Hoodies are not a fad or fashion statement here. They are legitimately needed in case a cloud moves across the sun.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I live nearby this town. The cars are mainly black, which attracts heat and stores it inside. I've gotten into my Jeep which is black in the middle of winter here and it was warm from sitting in the sun all day, even though it was cold outside.

The story here is that the Cop is beside himself, and he should be. What he did was pure negligence. Four hours in a car for a dog is eternity. No water or food, holding his bladder, etc.

He should be held accountable, kicked off the force and never allowed to be a LEO ever again.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It can get hot in September in Ohio.

This cop should be fired. And if he has kids, CPS may want to check in and make sure things are right.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

Sgt. Harrison cared deeply about Beny.

Yeah well, I think we can see how much he cared about Benny. People who love their pets, and consider them part of the family, don't usually leave them unattended in a vehicle for hours, no matter the temperature. I hope Benny reincarnates as a Pit Bull, and tracks this guy down.

top topics

join