It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A band you think more people should know of-my pick-Lord Huron

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Have you ever known about a band before they blow up? I recently found out about Lord Huron through a friend. Their album Lonesome Dreams is a very melodic, earthy and cohesive. Let me know of any bands you guys know of that fit this mold. Here is a link to some of their songs on the album.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
i wouldn't necessarily say a band.. but a genre(dubstep).. i don't listen to the genre much.. it got pretty old.. i mean it had potential, but a lot of famous artists(skrillex which i knew of of course before he got big) played it out...and a bunch of older good electro artists kind of gravitated towards it and didn't do very well with it.. there's still a few decent songs here and there in-between a bunch of trash.

electro is kind of underground as it is.. not a huge number of people listen to a lot of it. but for some reason dubstep blew up real quick and everyone knew about it, then it quickly got a bad name and the majority hated it.

it's my personal belief that it's kind of hard to throw in some dubstep in the middle of the rest of your mainstream music.

for me, most dubstep might sound pretty good the first time you listen to it, but quickly loses it's value over a short period of time. there are a couple that stand out though.

there's actually probably a lot of bands(not just electro or dubstep) i knew before they got big, i just don't really feel like digging through my memory.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I will offer Civil Twilight as a band more people should know. They are amazing.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
For me, it'd be Ayreon.

They're technically awesome, and the storylines of their albums (each one is a concept album within an overarching story) are just awesome.

That's just one of their several albums. Freaking fantastic music.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Jarring

Ya, I had heard of Skrillex when he was in From First to Last. I play musical instruments so my opinion of the whole techno movement is a bit biased. That being said, I attended a few raves in college and electro and house are what stuck with me. Skrillex had some crazy stuff out early on, but I haven't listened for awhile. Assuming the US fan base is similar to Europes, then techno should be around here for awhile. Especially in southern California, it is huge there. Any artists you are listening to now that might make it big?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Damn, both of those are nice songs. That lead singer has a nice voice, reminds me of Thom Yorke. My search for new songs begins...

edit on 8-10-2014 by kevinp2300 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2014 by kevinp2300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: kevinp2300

well, idk what you would call big... just because they are big electro artists doesn't mean everyone has heard of em you know.. for some reason skrillex just became synonymous with dubstep. electro isn't my favorite genre, although my favorite band is plaid(which have been around for awhile ever since they left black dog 1999 i think). i'm sure you've heard of them? they are working on a soundtrack for a new animation i can't wait for.

i also like digging for old stuff a lot...i find a lot of one hit wonders or one album bands did that i like that just never did well enough to keep it up.

to be honest i can't really think of any new artists that aren't already big or might make it big. i mean i guess i can list off a few new albums i've been listening to.. from 2013-2014.. hmm

I've been kinda out of the music scene/searching lately

Moon Bounce.. actually really like their EP
Their song "Shake" is really cool

The MØ album is out now, idk if you've heard...i'm pretty sure she already got big from the single off that album that was done with Diplo...it's a really good album though.

Royalston if you like some good dnb

Most of the other things I have from 2014 are already big, i'm sure you know about em.

2013 albums.. you might have heard.. will be skipping..

big black delta: great album
CHVRCHES: also good
Mat Zo: you've had to have heard this, great album
Sirius Mo's new album.. although i like Pearls and Embarrassments better
Jackson and His Computerband is good
Moderats album II...
Dirtyphonics new album
Gesaffelstein's ... i really like pursuit
Disclosure..
How to Destroy Angels.. trent reznor side project(way already big)
The M Machine is probably the best thing off Skrillex's label imo.

You might have listened to all this stuff, lol idk..
There's a lot of stuff i still need to pick up as well.. I just been out of my element..

Hmm.. for some reason I wanted to mention these to you..
I really liked Filthy Kick's album Dirty Little Secret and all of Kooqla's stuff(good Russian band) which you can download all for free. Not to mention they have videos for almost all their songs.
Speaking of Russians I listen to a lot of Receptor.. I like him a lot.. he's got a lot of good stuff.. some of his stuff i don't like so much.. but i love most of it. He did a remix contest and gave Teddy Killerz the win.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Excision and Zomboy do dubstep justice. It just seems that most dubstep is leaning towards ecstacy or "molly". I do like to listen to dubstep though, it can really make you feel the music even sober.

OP, as for bands that should be known, (hed) P.E. has been around for over a decade, but their music is definitely something that people should hear. Being as a lot of their early music was devoted to opening their listeners eyes to what is going on in the world, (the stuff that wasn't about sex and drugs). Then they started to really focus on what is wrong with the world, the lead singer Jahred Gomez really started to reach out, especially with the release of the album "New World Orphans. Followed by the release of a more Reggae album by the lead singer called "Unite". and then the bands newest album "Evolution" All directed at the enlightenment of mankind towards the tyranny of the world leaders PTB.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Jomina

I enjoyed a few songs from that album...liquid eternity connect the dots and web of lies are my favorites so far. Is this the story of the album Through technological advancement, ‘Forever’, a race of aquatic beings living on Planet Y, has found the secret of longevity. They have advanced to the point that they have become completely dependent on machines and are losing their emotions", thats what I basically read. The lead singer/songwriter of Lord Huron kind of does something similar. He invented this western character named George Ranger Johnson and each song is a chapter/story of his travels in a fictional book called Lonesome Dreams, the title of their album.

electro isn't my favorite genre, although my favorite band is plaid(which have been around for awhile ever since they left black dog 1999 i think). i'm sure you've heard of them?

never heard of them but i found this song and its my type of stuff

Moon Bounce.. actually really like their EP
Their song "Shake" is really cool

Shake is a cool/catchy song. I just found a pretty chill song, worth a listen

Royalston if you like some good dnb

Just listened to the bearer and I liked it, gonna look for some more songs from them. I have heard of Mat Zo and How to Destroy Angels but I will check out the rest.

Do you ever listen to any japanese electro?
my friend turned me onto this guy awhile back, he is one of the better japanese dj's.

Also, this japanese composer made this track that is one of my favorites...

What other genres besides electro do you like? My scope spans all genres so I might be able to give u a few ideas.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Dubstep? This is not dubstep. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. I'd consider this College Rock, or Melodic Indie Rock. They are playing actual instruments and layering in some electronic.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Op, so glad you posted this! Beautiful music! I'd never heard them before!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The Mountain Goats. John Darnielle is one of the best lyricists of our time.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: WhimsyTheory

Welcome to ATS! O man I love the 70's style of music. Have you ever listened to Leon Russell or JJ Cale, I'll check those artists out you mentioned.

Op, so glad you posted this! Beautiful music! I'd never heard them before!

Thank you! You might want to give Fleet of Foxes a try if you like this type of music. Lumineers as well but you might have heard of them already.

The Mountain Goats. John Darnielle is one of the best lyricists of our time.

I like how the bass provides the melody in that song. Any other suggestions by them?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I really like this band a lot. Never heard of them. Thanks so much for introducing them here. I'm taking a long road trip in a week or so and this band will definitely be coming for the long ride.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Glad you enjoy them! I meant to post this earlier but the lead singer created a fictional character named George Ranger Johnson and each song is a chapter from a made up book about his travels. The music videos are really cool if you enjoy stuff like that.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Just found this album...they have a very nice sound and the lead singer sounds like John Lennon lol

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
All of the mountain goats is amazing.

Listen to the songs "heretic pride" "going to Georgia" "south wood plantation road" "in the hidden places"

Hell, just listen to all of their songs.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Also, just a heads up, it's fleet foxes, not fleet OF foxes, just to avoid any confusion.

I lived in Nebraska for several years where they had a really good indie scene.

Bright Eyes, Cursive, The Good Life, Neva Dinova, The Faint, just to name a few.

Also I'm a huge Kind of Like Spitting fan, even if a lot of their music is depressing whiny self loathing crap. Hahaha

edit on 8-10-2014 by denybedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ThisIsMyRifle

i listened to them awhile back.. whalestep is still kind of funny to listen to every now and then.

i mostly just listen to trip hop and maybe throw in some electro these days.

plaid is great.. that's off their latest album.. my favorite album and their best imo by far is double figure.

here is a sampling off that album.. lots of good songs..

and japanese..hmm.. not a lot comes to mind.. hm.. i mean.. cibo matto/miho hatori/yuka honda.. halicali.. Naoki Kenji..
this vid instantly came to mind. i love it.

a reply to: raedar

i wasn't posting dubstep as i don't listen to hardly any of it anymore..kevin didn't necessarily ask for dubstep in particular to begin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join