It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[TEFLON] What can it do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Can Teflon really kill you...So If I have been using metal spoons and spatulas to do my cooking in my Kern teflon coated pans am I going to get some wierd cancer???????? Has anyone else heard of Teflon as a health risk???? I thought it was so popular!!

Perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA, is being found in the drinking water around the United States and it could potentially cause health risks. PFOA is a chemical that is used in the manufacturing of Dupont's Teflon. Teflon is a type of plastic that is used to make fire resistant cables, the thin white tape used in plumbing, Gor-Tex and other waterproofing membranes, as well as non-stick coatings for pots and pans.

Source

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The chemicals we have in our drinking water is amazing. Teflon is the least of my concerns. The US government actually puts fluoride in the drinking water. And this is the same stuff that is atomic bombs. I also read somewhere that there has been trace amounts of Prozac found in UK drinking water also.

Better just stop drinking water altogether. Don't worry about the dehydration, it just builds character.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
We have fluoride in the water over here in the UK as well, its supposed to be good for teeth. Didn't know about the prozac though, that'd be pretty funny if it was confirmed.

As far as this whole fluoride for nukes thing goes I havent read any of the stuff on google regarding it, you'll have to forgive my ignorance there, but there is a highly reactive element called Fluorine, which if you Flourine in nuclear weapons into google will give you a whole bunch of documents, now I'm no expert on nukes so I cant vouch one way or the other on wether both are used in the process for creating fissile material, but perhaps some reports are mistakenly using the fluoride when they really mean fluorine?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
In Nazi Germany, there was a proposal to put Fluoride in the drinking water because of another effect it has on people.

It isn't just good for your teeth(I actualy believe the good for teeth thing is just a blatent lie to cover the true reason to put fluoride in the water).

The important property of fluoride is that it makes people dosile, easy to handle, easy to influence, weak minded.

Its a chemical mass control tool used to help make citizens in the sheep they are.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If the same company that owns the fluoride company is a covert interlocking directorate that also owns several newspaper chains, and also television stations, then you will hear nice reports about this rat poison.

The same idea applies to toxic soup x,y,z. You name it from aspartame to depleted uranium, the profits are huge. Meanwhile we have to continue in a certain ignorance, since there are so many bad things in the environment that the mind tends to refile things after a few efforts at avoidance fail. You go back to believing liars when they say "mercury is nutritious." The thing is that even the elites suffer from this stuff as well as their "expendible customers." No one can really avoid everything when it is simply another chemistry in a cancophany of reactions. Then you might get to the "synergy effect," which is a misnomer, since synergy is vital at least as our friend Buckminster Fuller views it. We are looking at the nancebo verses placebo.

Years ago I was told by a college roomate whose mother was an MD on the JAMA staff, that hard medical science has known for years that when you heat a teflon pan without food and liquids at the high setting, you get noxious fumes.

The direction towards death at the behest of industry is less than entirely optional on an increasing basis. Who needs that? Nobody does, IMHO. A strange facet of September 11, 2001 is that for a few days the sky returned to normal without airplanes. Nowadays it is hard to test for the absence of anything but you can almost guarantee that when it is possible, it will yield better health and living.

I quit using aspartame years ago, although it is so pervasive I can tell by how bad I feel when exposed to it. I do not use fluoride toothpaste although you can barely find any toothpaste that is absent this chemistry. A tube of Rembrant Natural costs seven dollars or so. Otherwise I look at the health food store. Hey can you be too diligent about your well being?

[edit on 9-12-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Stop worrying and go on living - you don't think that cooking in aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron or tin lined copper is any safer, especially when using metal utensils do you?? Scrape, scrape and in the metals go....

Not to rain on the doomdayers out there that want to believe our governments are killing us at every chance but the death rate is actually DECLINING - yup check the numbers, been going down steadily for years and is about 8.3/1000 people this year.

And yes - fluoride is statistically proven with lots of double blind studies to prevent tooth decay. Your bigger worry is all the silver and lead in your fillings from rotten teeth.... I suppose the iodine in my salt is a killer too, then again I'd rather not have a nasty goiter - go figure!!

Edit - Oops, t's actually 8.3/1000 - I had 8.9 originally which was 1995 number....

[edit on 9-12-2004 by UofCinLA]

Nox

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
UCLA is right (sorry, it'll save effort in the long run, instead of typing "UofCinLA").

The gov't doesn't go out of its way to kill you.
In terms of life expectancy, the US is doing quite well (for a heavily populated, semi-polluted, fast-paced environment)

www.cia.gov...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Forget teflon.

What about the dihydrogen monoxide? Non-negligible quantities of this substance have been discovered in most US rivers and lakes. It's almost certain that every American carries some in their bloodstream. For those who become addicted to this substance, withdrawl means certain death. And it has been rumoured that the Navy plans to use huge amounts of it in war situations, spending billions of taxpayers money on preparations.

STOP Dihydrogen Monoxide before it's too late!

[edit on 10-12-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal Velocity
. Didn't know about the prozac though, that'd be pretty funny if it was confirmed.

Nobody adds Prozacto the water but it gets into water supplies because of all the people talking it and much of it is in their urine. The anti-depression drug gets into the rivers and water system via treated sewage water.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman
Years ago I was told by a college roomate whose mother was an MD on the JAMA staff, that hard medical science has known for years that when you heat a teflon pan without food and liquids at the high setting, you get noxious fumes.
[edit on 9-12-2004 by SkipShipman]

You get noxious fumes from gasoline when you fuel your car up, and that hasn't really hurt many people.

The noxious fumes from hot teflon are bad for small animals like birds (which is why I don't use those pans) but not harmful for humans unless you collected and huffed the stuff.

MBF

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Forget teflon.

What about the dihydrogen monoxide? Non-negligible quantities of this substance have been discovered in most US rivers and lakes. It's almost certain that every American carries some in their bloodstream. For those who become addicted to this substance, withdrawl means certain death. And it has been rumoured that the Navy plans to use huge amounts of it in war situations, spending billions of taxpayers money on preparations.

STOP Dihydrogen Monoxide before it's too late!

I can't shake the habit. For some reason, I think I have to have it every day.

I don't think that Teflon itself is reactive or toxic, but the carrier that the raw Teflon is in is very toxic. I know it does stink while it is being cured.

Cooking in aluminum pans has been linked to alzhiemers.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
And yes - fluoride is statistically proven with lots of double blind studies to prevent tooth decay.

Comment: Fluoride has absolutely no benefit, and you can do a Google on the issue before you cite industry sources for your "double blind study." Some studies yield a supposed "benefit," but that is solely with calcium fluoride. Of course the benefit is from the calcium but not the fluoride which the body is desparately trying to eliminate. Some chelation remedies help but overall in any study of chemistry, one knows that poisons in any amount are not in and of themselves ever beneficial. The reaction to small amounts is part of homeopathic medicine and its theory. Well the case for fluoride is not strengthened when you realize the warning on the label, whereas kids have died from ingesting the toothpaste. Sorry but your industry study is not science, it is industry funded nonsense. Just ask some Nobel laureates why they strongly advise against fluoridation. Ask some European countries who have come to their senses, and refuse to insult people's intelligence and their health with this rat poison.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
SkipShipman

A case can be made that everything we ingest is bad and kids have died from swallowing everything from paper to marbles and a tube of toothpaste can't be good for a whole host of reasons. A search on in the Medical Library at the NIH yields a number of fluoride studies - didn't jump on MedLine for a complete search though. I suppose they could all be industry supported but then again they may not be.

I'll stick to the data hard statistical evidence that the US population is doing quite well with reduced mortality rates despite both intentional and unintentional chemical exposure. It's actually quite nifty that the data is going in that direction with all of the nasty things that we deal with in our modern, daily existence. Something must be working....

I choose to just get on living and not take the doomsday approach that everyone is tying to kill or assimilate me. Can't remember what movie but the line goes:

"Some see the glass half empty, other see it half full. I pour it out on the ground and laugh....";-)

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
"I will not allow Communist Infiltrators, Communist Conspirators and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids"
-Gen. Jack Ripper, from "Dr. Strangelove"

In case you didn't know, the "Fluoride is an evil plot to kill us all" was started in the late 50's during the Red Scare, as people were led to belive that it was a Communist plot. It was what Gen. Ripper in Dr. Strangelove used to justify his preemptive strike against the russkies. This is all well documented on the internet.

Also, I seem to recall that fluridation was first promoted by a dentist in some small town in Arizona, or something like that, where the natural CaF content of the water was pretty high, and the kids in his office NEVER had tooth cavities. He was of the entrepreunerial and inventive type... I'm sure there were plenty of people decrying him as a hoax/idiot, like many of the theories you see on the boards here...

Teflon itself isn't particularily dangerous... I'd be more worried about dioxins and other such carcinogens which, along with having really bad effects for acute exposure, cause chromosomal damage during long-term exposure. Bad stuff. IIRC, the percursor to teflon, used in manufacturing the stuff (a fluoridiated polychloride, I belive) is very toxic.

But always keep in mind that ANYTHING will kill you in high enough doses. Even too much water... in fact, one of the wierdest ways to die is if you get distilled water injected into your blood stream., due to reverse osmosis, your red blood cells will explode.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Here, devote your time reading about the Fluoride Action Network.

www.fluoridealert.org...

www.fluoridealert.org...

There are some other sites out there like this, I'm surprised this site hasn't cobbled the links together for people to get a good look at. I usually find them by accident.

www.ewg.org...

www.ananuclear.org...

this one deals with chemical weapon stock piles, I found it when looking up VX hydrolysate waste in water, check out their chemical waste site map...
www.cwwg.org...

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
My college chemistry professor cited a case where a person working in a teflon factory died suddenly of what appeared to be heart failure.

While investigating the death, small 'chips' of the teflon were found in the cigarettes that he carried in his shirt pocket. It was somehow determined that the chips had gotten into his pocket and into the cigarettes while he was working and that when he lit a cigarette, the teflon was vaporized and inhaled, causing the same symptoms as heart failure, and causing his death.

He explained that while normal cooking does not reach a high enough temp to vaporize the teflon, a cigarette would act as a 'furnace' and reach a much higher temp, allowing for the teflon to become fumes that could be inhaled. He did not say what was the source of his information, but he insisted it was true.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Another nasty in some water supplies is xenoestrogen.

www.ourstolenfuture.org...
www.nomoron.com...='xenoestrogen'

As far as teflon goes, I use it sparingly. I found stuff sticks to it after the pan is washed a few times.
My faorite cooking utensils are stainless steel, followed by cast iron.

Nox

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
As far as teflon goes, I use it sparingly. I found stuff sticks to it after the pan is washed a few times.
My faorite cooking utensils are stainless steel, followed by cast iron.

Just use hot water to wash it. Don't use detergent.

new topics

top topics

join