It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Public Schools Introduce Islam" In Mississippi

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

It just means that there is no point adding to structure which is overloaded by being weak in the first place.

It just seems silly to me to learn islamic culture and history when they don't even know enough about their own. When I used mathematics as an example - I also meant core subjects that students are failing terribly in.

I'm not saying don't teach kids islamic or other religious history, when teaching them world history and that of their own country and that we should teach it to them correctly, in the best structure possible.

Maybe that's what they intend on doing - I don't know. I guess there's always a bare lot after a demolition takes place and maybe education systems about being altered as we type, to ensure kids are taught the fundamentals of learning, so that they can also learn and appreciate this contentious religious history that this thread is about.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

So how much time are they actually wasting on this? You saw the vid, there was an a4 page of doodling and iirc what looked like two sheets of Q and A.

This is too much for you? How long do you think that work took?

All of this outrage over a couple of hours learning about some foreign ways. Brrrrrr

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

No. I just think that holy hell, if they're going to learn something - learn it properly and we all know the education system is a disaster and can do with an overhaul, so can you imagine how effective this class might be in the right context?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Then the learning of other cultures ways and history etc, including Islam is fine then, but you want the education system as a whole improved and you recognise that this session was valid and worthwhile then, gotcha.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: desertguy

Thank you I dont quite know how to put the numbers in correctly to get the videos to play

watch?v=gYDTL4N8y4k

You copy the id after the equal sign so gYDTL4N8y4k in the case of the yt video. If there is an ampersand in the remaining id then you drop that and anything after it.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
ok the bit of video I watched didnt say much about the length of time spent on Islam Maybe I missed it.

but it is not an isolated incident. a few links. Maybe some of them are stretching the truth, maybe some totally fabricated and maybe some are true.

www.independentsentinel.com...

www.truthorfiction.com...

www.barenakedislam.com...

And i kinda think having CAIR write the lesson plan in the OP is like having the KKK write the Christian lesson plan.

And anybody that equates islamic extremists with Timothy McVeigh, I can only ask if he is your best example? because that was like 2 guys 20 years ago???

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

The session itself is pointless and worthless without proper context. If the system is overhauled and the content delivered properly, the session(s) would probably been vastly more effective.

Again, if a thing is broken there is little point in giving it a lick of paint. Pull the damn thing apart and put it back together well. Then paint it and add some damn tassels and a horn.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
They should teach students about Taoism, maybe learn them meditation.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Sounds to me that you now think that they should have covered the subject in more depth. Make up your mind will you. Looks like you have some extra time to think about it anyway!

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
In an already crowded curriculum, there has to be more emphasis on core subjects over such things as Islamic history.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

The point is the symbol of her religion was allowed

A head scarf is the symbol if Islam?

It's hypocrisy and we're calling it out like it is because people are tired of the double standards.

No its not, what you fail to understand is that freedom of religion in the states allows the free practice of Islam just as much as any other religion the only difference is Muslims have to pray 5 times a day where as christian what, need to go church on Sunday and congregate with the flock?

No where does it state In Christianity that one must wear a crucifix or display some Christian symbol or pray at certain times of the day where as in Islamic cultures (its a cultural thing) with the head scarfs and not an actually religious practice for Muslim females to wear head scarfs and an religious practice to pray 5 times a day.

So there can be some debate about face coverings and how that might conflict with western regulations when going into banks and what not but Islam also teaches follow the laws of the land they reside in.
So wearing a face covering at school in my opinion is no problem as it can be seen a religious custom more so a cultural one but that's debatable and shouldn't be compared wearing a hat as no where in any western culture does it dictate someone must wear a hat and have a rights to like arguably a Muslim female might in many areas of the public excluding security areas like banks and airports.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

How about other religions? Why is this one getting special attention? Better ask yourself that question.

Or better you ask yourself are my questions valid?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: 200Plus

You're the one twisting things. We're pointing out facts if you want to compare Christianity to Islam that's alright with me but we're talking about freedom of expression.

And where in any other religion does it state you must express yourself as explicitly as it does in certain Islamic sects?

No where in Christianity does it state one must wear something to abide by the cultural/religious laws.

It's a freedom of religion issue. One religion is allowed to be expressed but others aren't. This is the problem we're bringing up.

Its not a problem unless you show us somewhere in the bible stating a Christian must pray at a certain time of day or wear a certain piece of clothing.

So what the issue, freedom of religion or freedom of expression as none are, all religions are free to practice, and all are free to express their religion as their respective religions state and for certain female Muslims it might be a head scarf.

However, if one faith is allowed to be expressed but others aren't it's a problem.

Well then there's no problem as they are all allowed to be expressed as their respective religions dictate.

I'd have just as much of a problem if only Christians were allowed to express their faith. Or Jews or Buddhists. To me if one faith is allowed to be expressed, every other should be protected under that same freedom. My old district along with many others chooses to violate that right for everybody but Islam.

They are.

Were any Jewish boys told they couldn't wear a kippah?

Christianity has no compulsory clothing so wanting to express that in form of a crucifix or a t shirt of some sort is a personal preference and not an expression of religion in a way the said religion dictates a follower must express themselves.

I have said over and over and I hope you understand that your idea of the freedom of religion and freedom of expression of said religion is quite wrong here concerning Islam.

200Plus tried explaining to you but you seem to think they are twisting things when they asked you this

Do Jews and Christians have to wear symbols according to their religion? No, but some sects of Islam require the women to cover their hair.

There is much debate amongst authorities whether a male Jew must wear a kippah at all times but that is the closest item I can think of now to compare to a hijab which would be a symbol a follower must wear.

I cant think of one a Christian must wear.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: 200Plus

You're the one twisting things. We're pointing out facts if you want to compare Christianity to Islam that's alright with me but we're talking about freedom of expression.

And where in any other religion does it state you must express yourself as explicitly as it does in certain Islamic sects?

No where in Christianity does it state one must wear something to abide by the cultural/religious laws.

It's a freedom of religion issue. One religion is allowed to be expressed but others aren't. This is the problem we're bringing up.

Its not a problem unless you show us somewhere in the bible stating a Christian must pray at a certain time of day or wear a certain piece of clothing.

So what the issue, freedom of religion or freedom of expression as none are, all religions are free to practice, and all are free to express their religion as their respective religions state and for certain female Muslims it might be a head scarf.

However, if one faith is allowed to be expressed but others aren't it's a problem.

Well then there's no problem as they are all allowed to be expressed as their respective religions dictate.

I'd have just as much of a problem if only Christians were allowed to express their faith. Or Jews or Buddhists. To me if one faith is allowed to be expressed, every other should be protected under that same freedom. My old district along with many others chooses to violate that right for everybody but Islam.

They are.

Were any Jewish boys told they couldn't wear a kippah?

Christianity has no compulsory clothing so wanting to express that in form of a crucifix or a t shirt of some sort is a personal preference and not an expression of religion in a way the said religion dictates a follower must express themselves.

I have said over and over and I hope you understand that your idea of the freedom of religion and freedom of expression of said religion is quite wrong here concerning Islam.

200Plus tried explaining to you but you seem to think they are twisting things when they asked you this

Do Jews and Christians have to wear symbols according to their religion? No, but some sects of Islam require the women to cover their hair.

There is much debate amongst authorities whether a male Jew must wear a kippah at all times but that is the closest item I can think of now to compare to a hijab which would be a symbol a follower must wear.

I cant think of one a Christian must wear.

I don't know if this is required, but I've noticed recently a lot of Christian women are now wearing nothing but skirts and dresses, and aren't 'allowed' to cut their hair. It could be this has been going on forever and I've just been oblivious until recently. But there's the Duggar family. And I've seen it off of tv as well, a friend of mine refuses to wear jeans or sweatpants. When asked why she says that 'God' does 'want her to wear pants.' I worked at a Christian daycare for awhile, and every woman wore skirts or dresses as well, and had ridiculously long hair. When asked about it, "it's against our religion to live any other way." The Duggars are baptists, and my friend as well as the women I worked with went to a pentacostal church. Which is also a branch of Christianity.

I mean, it could just be a choice that the women have made. But if they choose to wear something because they believe that is what God wants, how is that any different than a Muslim woman who covers her hair because that's what her God wants?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

But if they choose to wear something because they believe that is what God wants, how is that any different than a Muslim woman who covers her hair because that's what her God wants?

Is there anything to back their beliefs to wear skirts like a Muslim has, religious texts stating such?

Its a part of Islamic religious canon to many Muslims on how to dress, the freedom of religion act protects any discrimination to practice how they have always have, Christians didn't always wear skirts and I doubt such a suggestion or practice could be found anywhere in any Christian religious canon.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Islam/Christianity...same bullshxt different name.

edit on 15uam10America/Chicago2014Wednesday20141014 by duaneology because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: duaneology
Islam/Christianity...same bullshxt different name.

The only thing I would change about this is instead of saying Christianity as a whole, I'd say 'modern Christianity,' because it's more bull# hatred and killing in the name of 'God' than what Christianity is really about.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

But if they choose to wear something because they believe that is what God wants, how is that any different than a Muslim woman who covers her hair because that's what her God wants?

Is there anything to back their beliefs to wear skirts like a Muslim has, religious texts stating such?

Its a part of Islamic religious canon to many Muslims on how to dress, the freedom of religion act protects any discrimination to practice how they have always have, Christians didn't always wear skirts and I doubt such a suggestion or practice could be found anywhere in any Christian religious canon.

“The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.” This verse -- Deuteronomy 22:5

AND I decided to go the extra mile and find where it says that women shouldn't cut their hair. And you'll never believe what I found. Some text saying that a womans head should be covered!

1 Corinthians 11:6 NIV
"If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head."

Mind you it's the old testament, BUT -- People follow a lot from the Old Testament still. You cannot pick and choose what part of religion you want to follow. If you plan to be hateful towards people you are following the Old Testament as the New Testament is about love and any 'real' Christian would agree with that. So if you plan to be hateful you better plan to cover your head, wear skirts, not eat shellfish, and the like.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join