It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine CH-46 makes final flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The Miramar Air Show is the last chance for people to see Marine CH-46 helicopters. The aircraft are being replaced by V-22 Osprey, and are about to be phased out of the inventory. The Osprey gives them more cargo, more range, and more speed getting to the area. The CH-46 has been serving since Vietnam.

SAN DIEGO - For some, the Miramar Air Show was a chance to look around and get inside a real military aircraft. But for others, a CH-46 helicopter means so much more.

Air show attendee Erin Millikin told 10News, "The smells of the fluid and how old even the fabric and it feels like home." It reminds Millikin of her dad, a Navy pilot who spent his career flying a CH-46.

The aircraft has been around since Vietnam, primarily used to transport Marines and drop off cargo. It is now being phased out and replaced with an Osprey, a faster helicopter/airplane.

www.10news.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wow a real work horse that it's time has passed.. RIP CH-46 you will be remembered by many...

Let's hope the V-22 lives up to expectations...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
We have the V-22's use our little muni every once in a while for fuel during certain training excercises and they are awesome to see but I have to admit I'm a bit sentimental on this phase out. Anyone in combat over the last few decades will tell you the sound of a 46 coming into a hot zone to get you is like angels singing. SF

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

No more frogs!?
Sad day,

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I did my final static-line jump out of a CH-46 and many free falls after that. I love that old bird!a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I'll never forget my times watching Vert-Reps flown in the 46's. Those chopper pilots were amazing, like a aerial ballet.

See ya around CH-46. You were stalwart, dependable and pretty much signified "The Marines are here."

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
From the last Seattle Seafair:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Man, my "time" is going by fast. I have been in many a #hook.

One warrant once told me "You don't so much fly this thing as give it suggestions where you'd like to end up". However, I noticed that he always managed to suggest them into the proper place faster than you'd have expected.

eta: Are only the Marine variants going away? Does the Army get to keep them?
edit on 8-10-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

You, among others here are the go to guys concerning ageing aircraft. So I'm wondering...

Would these CH-46's being retired make for good fire-fighting aircraft? I believe I've seen others doing that.

The Government gives Law Enforcement MRAPs and such, why can't they also give aircraft (and other equipment) out for fire fighting?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

I always liked watching small boat recovery with them. Now THAT was insane.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

They give helicopters away too, so some of the -46 fleet will almost certainly end up on the list in a year or two, after they get them all stored and decide how many to keep in ready storage.

And yes, they'd be good for fire fighting. The military uses them for it occasionally. They used to use them in Hawaii, and we'd always laugh, because the Blackhawk had a tiny little bucket slung under it compared to the -46.
edit on 10/8/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I flew on the CH-46e when I was in crew chief training in the Corps. Reliable old bird, loved the smell of the APU running LOL. To the poster who replied about he Army; the Army has CH-47s, not CH-46s. The CH-47 is larger and newer than the 46, and I doubt is in any danger of being phased out by the Army. You can distinguish between the two easily by looking at the gear the -46 has 3 in a tricycle gear configuration, the -47 has 4.

Long Live the Phrog!

new topics

top topics

join