It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSI graphics card dock reinvents laptop gaming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

What does the MSI gaming dock consist of? Built into the dock is its own PSU, fan, along with a PCIe x16 slot, allowing you to insert high-end graphics cards into. When you slot the GS30 Shadow laptop into the dock you will be able to make full use of the power of the high-end graphics card you decide to place inside.

www.product-reviews.net...

It doesnt look all that pretty but it gets the job done. Im definitely going to get one of these

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

WTF...What's the point?

Nothing personal but, no thanks.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Get a pc.
That said, I've had several MSI bits of hardware and they all performed well, best was a mobo but that was a few years ago now. They were good with after care too.
edit on 7-10-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Interesting concept, but it only works with the GS30 laptop?

I'd have to see what the price is on both the machine and the dock, but it seems to me that it would be more feasible to find a good desktop chassis, build it to the proper specs needed for the games you play, and upgrade it as needed.

You would have many more options that way and are not bound to a small 13.3" display.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Then you can plug a gaming mouse, keyboard, headset, and bigger monitor into it and have a pretty mediocre desktop.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
lol, I always wondered when they'd invent something like that. I was thinking something... well... smaller. Like you could just set the video card on the desk next to the laptop with some sort of cable adapter to it, but it's a step in the right direction... I think.

But, yeah, as VoidHawk said, get a PC.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlackTiger
Then you can plug a gaming mouse, keyboard, headset, and bigger monitor into it and have a pretty mediocre desktop.

You can already do that with most regular laptops, just no PCIe dock. A laptop with a good graphics cards is way more than a much better custom tower PC. This certainly does not scream gaming portability to me.

Again, what's the point? For something that big, they could have at least added component speakers and a subwoofer. lol

edit on 7-10-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Interesting concept, but it only works with the GS30 laptop?

I'd have to see what the price is on both the machine and the dock, but it seems to me that it would be more feasible to find a good desktop chassis, build it to the proper specs needed for the games you play, and upgrade it as needed.

You would have many more options that way and are not bound to a small 13.3" display.

The CPU and GPU have to be performance matched. Then the GPU board requires a power transformer of suitable wattage. So you end up with a "luggable" dock.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Personally I want to carry my PC around with me. I might invent some device to enable me to use it on a train.. Some sort of trolley and battery pack. I'm gonna be rich!!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
At that point just give it up and go buy a desktop.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
To be honest i saw agp pci and pcie dock already nothing new and that thing is big and ugly !

just as exemple

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
img52.imageshack.us...

img818.imageshack.us...

img138.imageshack.us...

Copy cats. I had it down years ago.
Pcie 2.0 x16 lane using a pcie-c cable to express card.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
..still undecided
buy this contraption or give the money to some random crackhead?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

i can be your crackhead? for a minutes to get that $

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis
You can hook it up to your tv through hdmi.

Great idea and pc games are a lot easier to download. Pc graphics in general will always run better than a ps4 or xbox one providing you upgrade...

Great idea.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Its so big.............Kinda cool in a way though.
The best way to run a laptop at home is right in front of a large flat screen with the laptop lid 3/4 of the way down , which even lights the keyboard

Connect it with a HDMI cable and it even has sound.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
May as well get yourself a # hot gaming rig and then buy a cheap laptop.
Pointless gimmick if you ask me. Also who wants to play games a monitor smaller than 22" these days. Most laptop screen resolutions are just not good enough. 1920 x 1080 at least for me. I have 27" iiyama 1ms 200hz monitor I couldn't play a game on anything less. If your gonna buy extra monitor and that GFX dock you may as well get yourself a decent PC.

Waste of money IMO.
edit on 8/10/14 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
As others have said, it's a waste. Just get a desktop. Desktop's tend to also be cheaper than laptops and laptop gaming gear~

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
a reply to: eisegesis
You can hook it up to your tv through hdmi.

Great idea.

I can literally see the HDMI out port on the side of the laptop that is sitting on top of this thing. The dock is made only for their laptop. So having an HDMI port is irrelevant.

All this is good for is people who are loyal to the brand, people who already own the required laptop and don't want to purchase a separate tower PC for gaming, (still waiting on the price of this thing) and people who haven't purchased anything and are looking to find portability and gaming in one...err, two packages.

top topics

join