It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belkin Routers down with global Internet outage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yep.....Belkin really fluffed this one up!

www.product-reviews.net...

They say they have a temporary work around by using a static DNS. OK then!!!
It's a shame cause it's the cutest little router....I really liked it!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
For everyone who can't get on line IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!!!
that should make it better?

Hopefully some computer genius can explain this better here on ATS?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Less than a year old? Take it back, its not fit for purpose.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Not a computer genius, but what they appear to be suggesting is that when your modem makes contact with your ISP (internet service provider), it is automatically assigned an IP address. The problem could indeed cause mass outrage against the company because most of the users that will likely be affected by this will be the general public. The solution of setting a static IP is pretty much a dud one, because static IP's are normally used by businesses. Those businesses will already have a static ip saved in the modem, hence they are already unaffected.
So, basically the public is screwed until they fix it. Unless you make a deal with your isp to get a static ip, which in most cases is a much more expensive connection, and has to be available in the first place.

Also, if a fix is made, that's a firmware problem. It's a stretch to expect regular home users to be updating router firmware, hence I see many disgruntled customers turning off Belkin very quickly.

It's an odd problem, I wonder what's caused it... *cough nsa backdoor*
edit on 7-10-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
Not a computer genius, but what they appear to be suggesting is that when your modem makes contact with your ISP (internet service provider), it is automatically assigned an IP address. The problem could indeed cause mass outrage against the company because most of the users that will likely be affected about this is the general public. The solution of setting a static IP is pretty much a dud one, because static IP's are normally used by businesses. Those will already have a static ip saved in the modem, hence they are already unaffected.
So, basically the public is screwed until they fix it. Unless you make a deal with your isp to get a static ip, which in most cases is a much more expensive connection, and has to be available in the first place.

Also, if a fix is made, that's a firmware problem. It's a stretch to expect regular home users to be updating router firmware, hence I see many disgruntled customers turning off Belkin very quickly.

It's an odd problem, I wonder what's caused it...

I dont think its a users IP problem, its a dns problem. My understanding is thats the server that hands out the IP that belongs to the internet address that you type into your browser?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

It's an odd problem, I wonder what's caused it... *cough nsa backdoor*

Thats believable

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Some of the articles mentioned this has effected some Linksys routers as well....

Thanks for clearing up the business versus home users issue

Currently I'm back online by using the built in wireless from my providers modem....not ideal, but ok till I can get another router.

I'm betting their stock is currently tanking.

Call me crazy but this is a HUGE programing mistake? on Belkins part...kinda like Window's rolling out Vista. Total muck-up.

Here's Belkins temp fix for devices....maybe by looking at it the problem is more apparent? @ VoidHawk
statuspage-production.s3.amazonaws.com...
edit on 7-10-2014 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Lucky I said I was not a computer genius then, my business would be ruined! I read that as IP address, looking back I see it indeed said DNS. So, ignore most of what I said up there, home users will be fine so long as they know how to log into their modems and sort it. I can just imagine the writhing frustration of the help desk guys knowing they will have to talk with thousands of grandpa's and grannies through the steps.

I know when my folks have these kind of issues it's almost always easier to just get in the car and visit them, 3 hour round trip, still save time though.

"Open up your web browser"
"My wassit?"
*help desk face smash activated
edit on 7-10-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Some of us have figured out by now to unplug everything and replug it in, check for a hard connect via "that long-assed cord" BEFORE making the tech support person cry.

It's the least we can do before sucking their lives dry with ignorant questions.
Heheheheheh

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
@ VoidHawk

Yep, it seems unless the router is told specifically which server to use its nackered! Could be many reasons be it hardware or firmware, my guess would be hardware otherwise they could just release an update.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Found this on Reddit....

Quote "[–]spauldingsmails 10 points 3 hours ago*
Saw this on a Belkin forum, and it worked for me. After power cycling the modem and router do this:

So do this step by step.

1) Unplug the Belkin Router AND your cable modem.

2) Plug in your cable modem and wait for it to boot fully.

3) Plug in the Belkin router and wait for it to boot fully

(I am doing all of the above so you for sure get the info you need but if you know where I am going then no need to do the above steps)

4) Open the web page to the Belkin router management dashboard

5) Scroll down and look under "Router Details" and under "Internet Settings".

You should have gotten an IP address from your ISP If so, then write this stuff down:

WAN IP Address

WAN Subnet Mask

Wan Gateway

DNS Address (it should list 2 of them)

6) Now go up to WAN settings and click the ISP COnnection Type

7) On this screen change it to "static"

8) Fill in the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and gateway with the info you wrote down above.

9) Click the link "click here to enter your DNS Settings" and on this screen fill in the 2 DNS IP addresses you wrote down.

10) Click save.

The Belkin should reboot connect. Dashboard connection should turn green. Only temporary fix. Will only work as long as your ISP doesn't change your IP."( end quote)

The tech folks are having spasms with all the calls.

www.reddit.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

On reddit they folks are saying it's caused by the ping the router does back to belkin. ISP providers are having success with getting the router to ping their servers instead of belkin.com, if I understood the tech talk correctly?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Now I'm not an expert by any stretch, but every time I've seen suggestions over the years to improve net speeds there's always the 8.8.8.8 dns told as a great way to improve things. Now call me ignorant/cynical, but as far as I'm aware thats a dns run by Google.
Google is like living with a long haired girl, there are strands of it everywhere. Dinner, soup, couch, car, bathroom, shower plug, soap, no matter where you look - hair. Would be easier to guide the public away from certain sites if they all have Google as the website traffic cop... Hmmmmm

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
People are able to go online and complain, but not smart enough to Google the solutions. Radical.

The heading of that article confuses me. Was it a DNS failure that caused the outage, or was it because the routers couldn't translate the information? Don't see why a DNS failure is Belkin's fault, since those are handled by individual ISP's. Aside from having poor customer service (which is common), not sure why they should be held responsible for that at all.

My Belkin at home is working just fine, so whatever sorcery is afoot is not affecting me. Even if it did, there is a large list of publicly available DNS servers for people to use. Either that, or you could just fill in your hosts file if you only use a few sites.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys
I'm not an expert either, just remember some stuff from the days when gaming involved having to set up networks

8888 is google? I didn't know that!
Your hair analogy is spot on, In the house I can live with, but in car too!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Appears to a massive issue for endusers...

Moral of the story: avoid Belkin routers...

The reason for the massive outages is currently unknown. Initial speculation was that Belkin pushed a buggy firmware update overnight, but on a reddit thread about the problem, even users who claim to have disabled automatic updates have found their Internet connectivity disrupted.

Borked Belkin routers leave many unable to get online

The problem appears related to a default self-healing healing option that automatically downloads an update very early on Tuesday morning October 7, 2014. www.gottabemobile.com...

Having problems connecting your Belkin router to the Internet? Here's a fix
www.pcworld.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Not a computer genius, but what they appear to be suggesting is that when your modem makes contact with your ISP (internet service provider), it is automatically assigned an IP address. The problem could indeed cause mass outrage against the company because most of the users that will likely be affected about this is the general public. The solution of setting a static IP is pretty much a dud one, because static IP's are normally used by businesses. Those will already have a static ip saved in the modem, hence they are already unaffected.

I dont think its a users IP problem, its a dns problem. My understanding is thats the server that hands out the IP that belongs to the internet address that you type into your browser?

Know your internet protocols:

bootpc - boot protocol client used to get the machines IP address and set up DNS nameservers

dhcp - dynamic host configuration protocol
This is used to request and release a lease on a particular IP address. Application include dhclient, dnsmasq

dns - domain name server
This is used to find the address of third party system

For your router, your PC has a gateway IP address, 192.168.1.1
A similar IP address is used to access that router directly on order to edit the configuration settings

Then you have utility function "netstat". "netstat -r" lets you see the routing table of your PC or laptop
"netstat -tulpas" lets you see all the open server ports on your PC.

It's all part of TCP/IP

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Belkin is now saying they fixed whatever they broke.

Edited to add.....Asus routers are surprisingly fuggly.....and spendy. But I'm looking at them anyways......grin!
www.cnet.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Know your internet protocols:

bootpc - boot protocol client used to get the machines IP address and set up DNS nameservers

dhcp - dynamic host configuration protocol
This is used to request and release a lease on a particular IP address. Application include dhclient, dnsmasq

dns - domain name server
This is used to find the address of third party system

For your router, your PC has a gateway IP address, 192.168.1.1
A similar IP address is used to access that router directly on order to edit the configuration settings

Then you have utility function "netstat". "netstat -r" lets you see the routing table of your PC or laptop
"netstat -tulpas" lets you see all the open server ports on your PC.

It's all part of TCP/IP

So, are you saying my understanding of the problem is wrong? because the info provided by Belkin says to "Staticaly assign dns server addresses"?

Some of your post I already knew, some I didn't so thanks for the info

top topics

join