It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You "Viable"? Are You Sure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Hello again ATS!

Given the atmosphere and current news stories of late, my mind did what my mind always tends to do. It began to wander into the land of “what if” - seeking to map out all potential scenarios so that I might be better prepared to deal with whatever may come, if anything at all.

Since the real world just happens to be currently only a few yards from this particular area of imagination land, I think it proper and just that we begin to table a discussion that could, very well, end up effecting the reality of any number of those who read these words ( and even people who aren't even aware of what ATS is ).

Let us pretend, for a moment, that the worst comes to pass. That this virus, or combination of viruses, or whatever it really is, ignites and becomes a raging pandemic within the western world. It is the Black Death version 2.0 and it is everywhere.

You, being a doomsday prepper type who stays up on all the latest, are quite ready. You have a BOB. You have a plan. You have a four wheel drive vehicle and a map that includes all of the hardly known back roads and fire trails. You have all it takes to make it to the nearest “safe zone” with you and yours intact. No sweat.

You do what you have always known to do and you make it. By God you make it! Awesome news for you! Right?

Right?

Only something is not right.

Maybe the armed guard at the gate is taking issue with some aspect of you or your group. Maybe you and yours have been placed into a holding area and are now being interrogated about simple and basic things – like what you do for a living, if you went to college, have you ever served in the military, do you have any experience in the medical field....

And at that moment you realize there is one question you did not ask during all your years of preparation.

Are You Viable? Are You Sure?

Returning from the world of imagination, it is now time to ask some very chilling and sobering questions and to have a discussion that will not make many here comfortable.

We must face the fact that any sort of safe zone or refuge will likely be limited in size and resources. They will potentially have to be very picky about who is allowed in and who isn't.

What sort of standards will such a place have to apply to remain operational and safe? Aside from a mandatory quarantine area I mean. What qualifiers will be used to determine who gets in and who does not.

Uncle Sam playing the role of the ultimate door man at the only club worth going to in town. A very scary thought!

”You are an electrician? That is a very necessary skill, but sadly we already have four electricians in our population. I am sorry but you and your family need to back up and proceed into the U-turn area. You might have better luck in Tulsa, if you can make it there. I heard they were having issues that their on site electricians could not repair...”

It could get even more personal and ugly. Are you the parent of a learning disabled or ill child or parent?

”We can certainly use you and your expertise here, but I am afraid that several members of your party do not meet our viability criteria and we simply cannot allow them in. You are welcome to stay, but they have to go.”

Through any or all of the above all of the power you feel today is moot because you are having these discussions with a group of people who are heavily armed and who made you check your guns at the gate ( if you had any to begin with ).

These are not negotiations you are engaged in. You are receiving mandates.

Do you have a criminal record?
Have you survived a previous disease?
Do you carry a genetic mutation that might cause your offspring to be born with congenital defects?
Are you on a political enemies list?
A no fly list?

All of these questions relevant.

So ATS. In your meanderings about what this all might mean, have you considered the notion of viability and how it might effect you and yours?

Please discuss and as always, thank you for reading.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'll play the viability game any day. For that would imply widespread system collapse.

Contrary to popular belief, death is freedom. Viability doesn't scare me.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
When it comes to people who know me they know I'm a valuable asset to have around in just about any situation.

When it boils down to this interview of perceived value I would probably fail in the eyes of most. That's just fine by me I don't get along well with those types of people.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Maybe my husband might. He's a microbiologist of over a decade in experience with knowledge of how to make vaccines, but because he has vaccinations most normal people don't get for his job and because he signs both his formal name and his short name, he's also on the watch list (I guess they consider doing that with the names an alias). He could be useful as a backup to any doctor.

Me? I have only teaching experience although I can crochet and can, but presumably so can everyone else.

However, I know my husband would never my son and I if they told him they'd take him and not the two of us.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
At what point to those who were deemed viable then deemed unviable? What happens then? It seems nonsensicle to get involved with a group that has a rash history of trashing the no longer viable ones that have served them. It is hard to deny the power of rebellion.

It even seems now that any non viable person coming into contact with groups organized in the manner you describe would not only be turned away but more than likely taken out of the equation all together for the thought of eventually overcoming these groups through rebellion.
edit on 7-10-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I can drive a forktruck.

I'm in

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm out. But that would not break my heart.

I'd prefer NOT to be in any population center at all.

My family and I would do quite fine. As a matter of fact, I'd turn down THEM!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

That was my impetus for writing this thread. I have absolutely no doubt that I would be stopped at the gate in spite of the fact that I have several documented skills that would probably open the door for me. Other aspects of my life would slam them right back shut.

Therefore if things do go down the path to where all that is on TV or radio is instructions and directions to the nearest "safe zone" - I'll be making other arrangements.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I can lick my eyebrows...check mate..

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
You, being a doomsday prepper type who stays up on all the latest, are quite ready. You have a BOB. You have a plan. You have a four wheel drive vehicle and a map that includes all of the hardly known back roads and fire trails. You have all it takes to make it to the nearest “safe zone” with you and yours intact. No sweat.

If your goal is reaching a government established "safe zone", then I question whether you're a real prepper or a modern TV caricaturized joke "prepper." Real preppers will head in the opposite direction of "safe zones", recognizing the only truly safe zone is the one they establish for their own and defend as if they were holding a piece of the one, true Cross itself. I'm viable in my own world, and so long as I stay in that world that will never change. Why would I ever want to enter a situation in which I placed my survival and my family's survival into the hands of an untrustworthy government?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I look forward to being your FEMA camp doctor.
I WILL show nepotism and special treatment for ATS regulars!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Safe zones will be full of undesirables, I'd rather remain with those who can think for themselves!

I think in any situation involving virus etc, the best think would be for everyone to go their own way. Small groups would be fine, but large penned in groups will all die if just one infected person gets in.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Ah viability...I remember this scenario back in high school when our teach gave us a fallout scenario and a list of people we had to choose of whether or not they went into the bunker and survived or not. We were given a list of characteristics ranging from age, ethnicity, profession, prior medical history, etc. It was a surprise exercise and not a very pleasant one, considering there were children involved. The amount of cold, logical deductive reasoning involved became quite clear. We quickly found ourselves abandoning morality and saving the youthful over the aging, as well as pairing women (of any age) with a few men in order to repopulate. Now that I think back, it wouldn't really matter much if there was something so awful only a handful of people survived it. We also kept certain individuals who had skill in farming and scientific fields to reap some semblance of crops or self sustaining technology.

When you look at it like that, it makes you wonder exactly how useful many people are to society. Do they really contribute anything other than organic matter and opinions to the world? I think of my neighbor with his overweight self, never mowing his lawn and peeking through the windows at me when I come home from work. What purpose would a consumer have in such a world? Do we completely abandon our morality when any semblance of structure other than pure survival is no longer valid? It also makes you question how we've gotten to where we are; survival of the fittest. That's how it's been for the last several thousand years, constantly combating illness, weather, wild beasts, and evil intention. In that logic I find an easy, albeit uncomfortable answer and if there is an evil power out there contorting daily life, I am sure that is the same logic they follow.

My mind drifts to my girlfriend... she has no specific profession, she has a learning disability, and doesn't have a good medical history. Could I go where she can't follow? My answer is no. More than likely, we'd find our own way, much like nature has done for all of existence. No sense in bending your knee to authority when there is no longer any authority to be recognized other than the barrel pointed at you. Whether that means fighting off zombies, or fighting off flies when they're trying to land on my plague ridden flesh, I'm taking my KA-BAR and headed that way. -->

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I am. My charming good looks and scintillating personality will make me a must-have in any kind of SHTF situation. Ladies, there is only one MM to go around to repopulate the Earth -- go easy!
edit on 7-10-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
For me and mine it's "Shelter in place" and enjoy the peace and quiet. I can't even remotely imagine seeking a "shelter" with a bunch of other people. We have everything we need in place to spend a few months as total hermits if the need arises. It is true that I would miss having fresh cream for my coffee and my husband would miss his fresh orange juice, but dem's da breaks, eh?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

At first I thought you were talking about a 'safe zone' of citizens bent on survival despite government running the country into the ground, but then I realized you meant the 'safe zone' was run by the government.

Well, as we can't do the same thing and expect different results, I think I would ride right past the official check-in gate and post a notice at the U-Turn place for all 'rejects' to come join up with all the others in the hills, because they've already demonstrated the fortitude and will to survive by making the arduous trek to the governmental promised-land... So, 'come one, come all' and gosh-darn, we'll FIND something for you to do, or teach you something new, and we shall have our own Utopia, with a true democratic process (one person-one vote) on matters of import, for the good of the group.

Because I believe everybody IS important. Everybody DOES have merit and value. Sometimes they just need for someone to help them know that, in order for it to fully manifest into observable traits and actions.

Also, I'm kind of artsy-fartsy, so... cave wall art, LoL? (Oh come on, what is civilization without ART, people!!!)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here
a reply to: Hefficide

Because I believe everybody IS important. Everybody DOES have merit and value. Sometimes they just need for someone to help them know that, in order for it to fully manifest into observable traits and actions.

Agree to disagree.

Actually, no, I hate everyone.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Yah, well then you would. After all, you wabbits love your secret rabbit holes, LOL.

As for moi, I am already set up in the way I want to be. No need to escape unless something blows and I simply have to leave. Lotsa luck to everyone out there.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Actually, no, I hate everyone.

This statement goes really well with your avatar! Gave me a chuckle...

top topics

join