It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RCMP Cpl. Ron Francis, who smoked marijuana on job, found dead

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: romilo
If you think for one single minute that there is some problem with suicide related to medical weed.. you might look into suicide rates of people on drug store meds.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Despite their actions, this is the RCMP's response to Cpl. Francis' death...

"Cpl. Francis was a very proud member of the RCMP for almost 22 years and will no doubt be missed," said Brown in a voice shaky with emotion.

"He helped shine a light on post-traumatic stress disorder affecting emergency first responders," he said. "Mental illness, as you well know, is something that carries a stigma and it is important as a society that we not only continue to talk about this very real issue, but we work together to find ways to address it.

"This is a terrible loss for the RCMP family and the community."

Brown said the issue of PTSD for first responders "is real."

"It's unfortunate that the incidents that became very public to his own doing, that's only a very, very small snippet of who he was and what he actually did.

"This wasn't a pot-smoking issue. This wasn't a red serge issue. This wasn't a uniform issue," said Brown.

"This was a cry for help and a need to raise the awareness as to what PTSD really is within the organizations we all work for."

Brown said he is confident the RCMP did everything it could do to reach out and respond to Francis and provide him with the support he needed.

"Unfortunately, the turn of events yesterday really brings this into focus with respect to how much an issue this really is."

www.cbc.ca...

The response from them initially to the whole thing says exactly the opposite of this statement. They shamed him, removed him from the force and ended up bringing charges against him. I suppose they hope no one remembers all that stuff.
edit on 7-10-2014 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

That's what their hoping but I paid attention the story when it first broke. They were douches to him in the beginning and the two cops he assaulted were being douches to him too about it.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ThisIsMyRifle
Yeah it was kind of a red herring. Do you believe he would have been treated as badly had he been a legal pill popper instead of using marijuana though? I don't think he would, as it is pretty normal to be on some kind of pills these days. They don't want to "tarnish their image", and bring to light the anti-marijuana war is a farce, so they can't have a member of their force openly using the stuff.

edit on Tue, 07 Oct 2014 22:27:23 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

He had a prescription to smoke medical marijuana.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria
I know that. But I am saying, they would not have made the same fuss if he was prescribed some psych pill, and popped that in uniform, like they did freaking out about him smoking in uniform is all.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Just double checking.
Yes this was only blown up because he chose cannabis over prescription pills. I don't blame him for not wanting to take prescription pills, some of the side effects are scary.

I was taking a medication for migraines and one of the side effects was headaches. It was a highly common side effect too.
I was also on this one medication & it started to make my body unresponsive & it messed with my short term memory. It was very scary. It got to the point where my fiance & I were walking home one day & I collapsed on the side of the road. I could no longer control my body. I had to be carried home. It was super scary & I stopped taking the pills after that.

edit on 10 8 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ugh migraines are the worst, used to get one or two a week as a kid, sucked really bad.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I have chronic headaches so it doesn't take much for me to get a migraine. If I have one for 2 days straight I have to go to the hospital because I haven't been able to keep any fluids in me & the pain is super bad at that point. It's no fun when your in a hospital with a migraine though.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
I have to agree that drinking on the job is a huge no no so the same would have to go for mary jane.

That's a perfectly reasonably sounding statement that many make...that only seems reasonable to people with little to no experience with weed...those with experience know that you literally can't compare its effects with alcohol at all, particularly in terms of impairment...

I heard that in California they have changed the enforcement of DUI's from 'if you're high and driving you get a DUI,' to 'you cannot get a DUI while high unless your driving is actually noticeably impaired.' This is because, it's just an undeniable fact that if you are experience with smoking, and used to it, you don't even really get 'impaired'...that's not really an accurate word...people new to smoking, probably in general would have a more difficult time doing certain things...but when you're used to it it just honestly doesn't really apply...and people who are experienced know this is true, and it probably sounds like nonsense to others.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I remember this story. I remember the big deal that was made about him returning his uniform as well. He seemed like a kind soul to me. Bless his heart. I hope his loved ones find peace in all of this. I read that the RCMP really had a serious go at him.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: groingrinder
Twenty one years on the force and he is only a Corporal? Something seems wrong there.

If its the same as military, getting to MCPL rank nearly tripples your responsibilities and you barely notice a salary raise...and that is when the postings start from one end of the country to another....I stopped at Corporal and was doing my job very well. I just didn't want to move 2500 miles away from home if it wasnt necessary. And doing all the extra work for peanuts...not worth it.

The promotion to Sgt however was more worth it, you just had to take the step through MCPL form x number of years

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria

While yes that can happen for some people, it doesn't mean it happens to everyone. Cannabis is different for everyone.

They already say that cannabis causes schizophrenia but a study came out that said people who get schizophrenia after smoking cannabis, had the schizophrenia gene in them. Therefore, how can you say with 100% certainty that cannabis triggered their schizophrenia gene. How do you test that, how do you have a control group for that? You basically can't.

Just like the gvt said it was deadly in the 60s just to have a reason to criminalize it - scared people away from it since they couln't control it.

I have consumed this stuff way more than I should have in my life and I have 0 problems on any levels that "they" said it would. And I know people that smoke MJ more than cigarettes and they have very successfull careers and a stable life.

On topic:
This guy sure did have problems and in no way am I judging him, its really sad that he passed and I truely feel for his loved ones...But his death had nothing to do with somking MJ. Since it is not told what he died from its hard to say but if he took his own life, its more than likely directly linked to his PTSD imo.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Flint2011

It's such a shame how badly they treated him and how badly they freaked out on him. It was too much for him

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teye22

originally posted by: Sabiduria

While yes that can happen for some people, it doesn't mean it happens to everyone. Cannabis is different for everyone.

They already say that cannabis causes schizophrenia but a study came out that said people who get schizophrenia after smoking cannabis, had the schizophrenia gene in them. Therefore, how can you say with 100% certainty that cannabis triggered their schizophrenia gene. How do you test that, how do you have a control group for that? You basically can't.

Just like the gvt said it was deadly in the 60s just to have a reason to criminalize it - scared people away from it since they couln't control it.

I have consumed this stuff way more than I should have in my life and I have 0 problems on any levels that "they" said it would. And I know people that smoke MJ more than cigarettes and they have very successfull careers and a stable life.

On topic:
This guy sure did have problems and in no way am I judging him, its really sad that he passed and I truely feel for his loved ones...But his death had nothing to do with somking MJ. Since it is not told what he died from its hard to say but if he took his own life, its more than likely directly linked to his PTSD imo.

It has been illegal for 100yrs, it wasn't just done in the 60's.

I too have seen people in my support group who has smoked it for decades and have 0 problems (well at least caused by cannabis)

On topic:
We can't say for sure if his death had nothing to do with smoking cannabis. I think it contributed to his death because he was under a great deal of extra stress from the whole cannabis fiasco and the criminal charges he was being faced with (non cannabis related but the cops were harassing him for smoking it). It pushed a guy already on the edge over the edge.

Until they officially release the cause of death, we can't say for sure.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Sad part is that the RCMP will cover it's arse as much as it can. I don't see transparency being there front line on this.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join