It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RCMP Cpl. Ron Francis, who smoked marijuana on job, found dead

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

A New Brunswick Mountie who made national headlines for smoking medical marijuana while in uniform last year has been found dead. Francis's lawyer T.J. Burke said Francis died around 4 o'clock Monday afternoon. There is no word on the cause of death.

Francis was a 21-year RCMP veteran who was serving with the force's J Division in F. He was prescribed medical marijuana last November, and said at the time it helped him calm down and reduced his symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD

RCMP Cpl. Ron Francis, who smoked marijuana on job, found dead

Pretty sure that this cop committed suicide because of this whole ordeal. When you are someone with PTSD & you get publicly shamed & humiliated, you are going to crack under the pressure. The RCMP threw a sh*t fit because he was smoking a joint to help with his PTSD while in the special red Mountie uniform.

I remember when I first heard about this last November and it was such a shame that the police were being such tools to him when he clearly was mentally unstable. An incident happened later, where he ended up in a confrontation with two fellow RCMP members and Francis was charged with assaulting the two cops. He was scheduled to be in court in September but that was delayed (reason unknown)

If cannabis was legal in Canada than this wouldn't have happened. Cpl. Ron Francis would probably still be alive and dealing with his PTSD. He wouldn't have been pushed over the edge by the RCMP.

Too many first responders suffer with PTSD and it's growing problem that is being ignored. We need to take care of our first responders and make sure they are mentally stable because we deepened on them in an emergency/accident. People shouldn't have to suffer because we don't want to address the problem.

((By the way, for those who do not believe in PTSD & depression, please don't comment. You are ignorant to mental health & we don't need you to tell us that we are being selfish or that it is hokum))

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

Maybe if he's suffering from PTSD, he should not hold a job at the RCMP?
I don't think protocol has degraded to the point of the US but still, they need proper judgement under pressure and have lives in their hands.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

one question - do you think that Cpl francis was fit for duty ?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Marijuana only helps YOU help yourself. Its not a miricle drug that cures anthing. Therapy basically of the finest kind.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria
If cannabis was legal in Canada than this wouldn't have happened.

That is a false assumption. For him it WAS legal. He had many problems. His mental state being foremost. Well, if he wasn't mentally fit why is he a cop? Maybe the job led to his PSTD. My old man was RCMP after the Navy and it isn't a pleasant job. They just can't leave work at work like most of us. Obviously Cpl Francis couldn't deal with it.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I found out that when you are in sh1tty shape for long period of time and then smoke ganja, it can boost your realization of the situation so much deeper that it can even launch psychosis, panic attack, depression and shock like state. So if he committed suicide i guess it could be possible he could not handle the reality of the situation, what ever he was in, maybe he saw no way out of that shock of realizing and choice the extreme way out.

Still pointing out the topic that he was medicating him self with ganja and now hes death, gives kinda of propaganda taste against ganja, maybe next they start pushing out ganja increases suicide rates or something...
edit on 7-10-2014 by romilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Sorry to hear this poor man may have taken his life but I have to agree that his job would not help is PTSD one bit.

And I am all for legalization, but I could never be for smoking on the job.
I have to agree that drinking on the job is a huge no no so the same would have to go for mary jane.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Sorry to hear this poor man may have taken his life but I have to agree that his job would not help is PTSD one bit.

And I am all for legalization, but I could never be for smoking on the job.
I have to agree that drinking on the job is a huge no no so the same would have to go for mary jane.

I disagree. This is a med prescribed for a medical condition. Shouldn't be a problem. That said I wouldn't allow him so drive or carry a firearm. Ride a desk. Sorry but that happens every day with people and medical conditions.

As to the uniform, it called Red Serge.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MGaddafi

In cases where it's prescribed for mental issues generally the patient should use it and enter states of self-reflection and analysis. The patient then gets the chances to take stock of their reactions and everything else. Hopefully leading to positive changes.

As for reducing pain, increasing appetite, getting rid of depression. It's amazing.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

He got PTSD from being at work and he worked a desk job as administrative support. It's not like he was out on patrol
edit on 10 7 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Yes I think he was fit for administrative support.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MGaddafi

Cannabis has amazing medicinal properties both mentally & physically. You can deny it all you want but at the support groups I go to, I see the power of cannabis and how much it helps people who are sick.

I'm not saying that because you use cannabis that you no longer need therapy, that's just silly. Therapy is very important but cannabis can still help you while you are in therapy.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: romilo

While yes that can happen for some people, it doesn't mean it happens to everyone. Cannabis is different for everyone.

They already say that cannabis causes schizophrenia but a study came out that said people who get schizophrenia after smoking cannabis, had the schizophrenia gene in them. Therefore, how can you say with 100% certainty that cannabis triggered their schizophrenia gene. How do you test that, how do you have a control group for that? You basically can't.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

He got PTSD from being a cop so he was put on a desk assignment. He was administrative support, not on patrol.

The difference between drinking on the job and smoking cannabis on the job is that the more you perform a task while under the influence of cannabis, your brain learns how to function like that. It gets to the point that you can perform a task the exact same way you would while not high and there is essentially no difference in your performance. That's the beauty of the human brain with cannabis. You also can not OD from smoking too much cannabis because their is a chemical that gets released in your brain that keeps you from over dosing.

As long as the person can function the exact same or better while high than they can while not high, all the power to working while being high.

((This is again something I know first hand because of the support group I go to and the 4 different people who smoke cannabis medicinally. They can be at work, have smoked cannabis and be able to perform their tasks flawlessly. Most of them don't really get high anymore, either from years of smoking it medicinally. It just works medicinally for them at that point))

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Ya I guess I was a little hastily with my comment there. Guess I have to have a foot in mouth moment here

I guess I am still torn tho, if he was riding the desk it does change things I do admit, I was thinking he was out on patrol when he this event happened.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I don't think you carry a gun when you are administrative support. As for driving, it would probably just be to and from work.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Twenty one years on the force and he is only a Corporal? Something seems wrong there.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

it also can give people energy when they are normally too fatigued to do anything but lay on the couch. It can also help people sleep properly. It really is a great all around effective drug. There is even a few cases of people taking cannabis oil and being cured from their cancers.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Um. Isn't this a thread about a dead cop? Not weed?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Yes it is. People had questions/comments to do with him using cannabis so I responded to them back.

I hope that this will bring more awareness to first responders with PTSD and how important it is that they need help. It is insane how many have PTSD and how many are either a substance abuser of some sort or kill themselves.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join