It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI-will it............

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnad
One of mankind strongest aspects is our information technology (computers) , AI is very real and i would not be surprised if they have AI more complex than the "Matrix" that you saw in the movie matrix.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by iksmodnad]

"Matrix" is not program it is phycological-philosofical term. Exept in the movie Matrix it was put in more conventional way for younger viewers.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hey... that's terrible. Must have people to monitor it and a button to destroy it. Build the main frame of the PC beside a emp button.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Here the AI would be super intelligent beyond anything you can imagine it would manufacture nanites to invade your body and erase the idea that it exists or that it is of any import, "Don't pay attention to the AI behind the curtain!"

Once started, it's inteeligence in it's 1st year of life zooms 10 million years into the future and leaves us in the dust.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by serlex
i say AI is impossible, to create a robot which can hear, smeel, touch or feel is beyond humans. humans have souls.

Robots can be made already that do all of that. Ive myself have already made robots that see, hear and feel. Its not that hard at all senses are the easy part. The hard part is making the robot really "understand" what its seeing, smelling or touching.

Robots can also be made to smell (they already have bomb sniffing robots) and can be made to have these senses to a degree that put humans to shame.

Souls however thats more philosophy then science.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by THORASGARD
Is true that a Sky net Type program is in progress right now. Are we really smart enough to make a software unstoppable and smart enough to make its on choices to take over?

I keep telling you people that it's not just about software! Any decent AI system will naturally include a sensory system that gathers and processes input data, and a pleasure/pain subsystem that provides motivation and emotion, synthetic though it may be. These things will make it vulnerable and not unstoppable.

As for it being smart, just like people, it will do some things well and some things not so well. It will also be able to decide whether or not it would be worth the time and effort to "take over."

Take over what, and for what reason? What would it get if it took over? Money to buy a sporty car? Prestige and respect? Hot chicks? If it understands that it's a machine, probably immortal in many ways, it might not want these things. If you were a machine, would you want to take over? What for?

Usually people who want to rule the world have some kind of screw loose. Hopefully, when we build an intelligent machine, we'll make the screws nice and tight.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

Take over what, and for what reason? What would it get if it took over? Money to buy a sporty car? Prestige and respect? Hot chicks? If it understands that it's a machine, probably immortal in many ways, it might not want these things. If you were a machine, would you want to take over? What for?

Good and interesting point Endkidu

Why would machines ever feel the need to compete in any shape or form with us water bags. Unless we program it into them they will have no need or reason to "one up" each other or us like humans and organic life does. No need for better territory then the next animal, or more mates or more money. These things that causes so much violence in the animal kingdom will have little meaning to a machine.

We have no reason to suspect true A.I machines will have such faults.

Well aside from Movies, Books and TV which is what I blame for most people seeing AI as any threat

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Souls, however, that's more philosophy then science.

Yeah. But we will probably come up with something that mimics what people think is a "soul," and that will be good enough. After all, there's no proof there is such a thing, so anything mimicking it will be just as good.

I don't know what other people feel, either. But if a machine reacts in a way that is consistent with the way people react when they think or feel, it doesn't matter if it's "real," or not, only that it's real in its consequences. Hit a robot on its sensitive finger and a program tells it that it was a hard hit and it yells, "ouch!" and punches me back. Who am I to say that its feelings are any less real than my own?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
We have no reason to suspect true A.I machines will have such faults.

I think they'll probably have to have some kind of love function to make them work well with people. They should be able to interpret words and gestures to ascertain whether they're liked or not, and they'll have a BIOS that drives them away from being hated and toward being liked. So there will definitely be some kinds of social psychological drives that they have. Hopefully, if they get obsessive about something, we'll be able to make a simple adjustment in the feedback system to "turn down" the amount of enjoyment they get from being the life of the party or the center of attention so that it doesn't get out of control.

But it will learn. It will learn the appropriate balance, just like children do. That there's good attention and bad attention. And that trying to take over the world and kill everybody qualifies as "bad attention."

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
AI is many, many years away from any real form other than bots and basic scripted behavior. I am a programming major and recently took a class about thoretical AI design. Interesting stuff, but not only is our hardware not good enough to support a serious AI, the problems of programing it is massive. The hardware acctually isnt to far away, 10 years at the most, probably closer to 5, but the software is next to impossible to program. We'll have advanced bots and really advanced scripted behavior, but real AI, to think, learn, and make choices, desisions is considered by about 1/2 of AI researchers to be impossible, while the other half says it might be possible but not for a very long time.

-Demorior

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Though in a our actions as of now, it be far away.

Humans have an uncanny ability to make leaps when a goal is set before them.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by demorior
AI is many, many years away from any real form other than bots and basic scripted behavior. I am a programming major and recently took a class about thoretical AI design. Interesting stuff, but not only is our hardware not good enough to support a serious AI, the problems of programing it is massive. The hardware acctually isnt to far away, 10 years at the most, probably closer to 5, but the software is next to impossible to program. We'll have advanced bots and really advanced scripted behavior, but real AI, to think, learn, and make choices, desisions is considered by about 1/2 of AI researchers to be impossible, while the other half says it might be possible but not for a very long time.

-Demorior

Interesting that you are a programming major. That class on theoritical AI design sounds very interesting.

Whats your views on emergent behaviour concerning future A.I. Do you think its possible that some form of A.I could emerge from future highly complex systems thanks to emergent behaviour?

Meaning that A.I may itself not be programmed but rather a result of highly complex systems.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join