It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aww poor college students boo hoo!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: frugal
You are so Wrong! My brother in law makes around $600,000 a year as a lawyer. He does co own his own firm.
He works his butt off and is a true rags (trailer house) to riches (nice home) story. He did not ever eat meat growing
up because his single mom could not afford it. Work hard, honestly, and smart. Then good things in life happen.
College is not an easy choice for the kids or their parents have some respect.

The indoctrination is strong in this one.
*waves hand*
These are not the students you are looking for.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys

A $100,000/year salary in 1980 is equivalent to $31,000/year today due to inflation. The dollar has lost over 2/3rds of its value in the last 30 years. So yes, people feel they deserve 100k a year after working through college and getting a degree. Why shouldn't they? Its not the people currently in college, or those that graduated in the last ten years who tanked the economy.

Baby boomers and other generations have turned the economy into a cesspool and belittling people who worked hard to better themselves is doing nothing by making the problem worse.

One day the baby boomers will release their death grip on the world and something productive can finally be done to fix the mess they caused and are still perpetuating.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Maybe he was unhappy with the job? Even if the lawyer field is over saturated, getting a degree shouldn't cost hundreds of thousands or even tens of thousands. It's completely idiotic to consider it fair or reasonable.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Go look at job requirements..
edit on 10America/Chicagop01pmTuesday5010 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
a reply to: sheepslayer247

I'm a business owner and I make a bunch of concessions already. You need to talk to the consumer that bought the cheap Wagon for their kids and not the radio flyer. That's what forced corporations to outsource. That's what killed the manufacturing base and started turning us into a service economy.

I believe there are many aspects to this issue and it's resolution will require all sides to make some changes.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: frugal
You are so Wrong! My brother in law makes around $600,000 a year as a lawyer. He does co own his own firm.
He works his butt off and is a true rags (trailer house) to riches (nice home) story. He did not ever eat meat growing
up because his single mom could not afford it. Work hard, honestly, and smart. Then good things in life happen.
College is not an easy choice for the kids or their parents have some respect.

Good for your brother in law! Wanna guess how many graduating lawyers make partner let alone make anywhere NEAR what your BIL makes? Sounds like your sister married up well! Lol

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I would prefer that the future engineers & healhcare workers attend post secondary education.

Scam or no...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71
a reply to: sheepslayer247

your both right but you also forgot some of the more important reason this happened.

federal and state taxes on businesses, high priced workers comp insurance, demands placed on businesses by unions for benefits without being willing to compromise. those are just a few of the biggest reasons. Then nafta, safta, cafta and all the other ta's, with GATT, Free Trade Alliance,Most Favored Nation, and the Global Economy that was and still is being pushed, it was only natural for some of the companies to bail or fold due to all of this.

one could say if you were to look at all of these it would seem that the U.S. economy was under and is still under attack and it is designed to bring the majority of U.S. citizens to or below the poverty level and place them in a third world living conditions.

or it could be that my tinfoil hat is to tight and i need to get one a size or two bigger.

edit on 7-10-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

Oh please! All the younger generation can do these days is to blame the baby boomers! Get over it! These same kids who are complaining about the costs of college are the ones who's parents and grandparents have been running the government, voting idiotic politicians into office, and running corporations. I get your point. But young people need to buck the system instead of caving and continuing to be a part of it.

And to kx12x thanks for proving my point. Aww he was unhappy at 23 years old having a full time managerial job with a good company, probably a nice discount on high quality food, healthcare benefits, probably $12-18/hr, stock options, educational reimbursement. Awww….yeah wanna know how many Americans are probably "unhappy" with their job???? LMAO! It's called WORK not fun for a reason.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys

originally posted by: netwarrior
I got news for you, pal. Its a scam and some of us fell for it because we had parents and teachers that drilled the mantra "you will be nothing without a degree" from day one of first grade.

Couple that with colleges using every underhanded trick in the book to squeeze more money out of you (like required texts that you never use, the neverending deluge of fees, required classes that are only offered once every other year..if you have a scheduling conflict with another class thats tough noogies) in the faint hope that you wont have to flip burgers or wade in human excrement (i've done *both*) for a pittance.

I would love to buy a house or a car and actually contribute to the economy but no, after my student loan payments and single/no kids income tax/medicare/medicaid liability half of my income disappears like dust in the wind.

Step down from your ivory tower and direct your scorn to where it belongs.

Oh please if you're intelligent enough to apply to law school and make it through a bachelors program you should be smart enough to figure out the so called scam as you put it! I'm hardly in an ivory tower. I saw the scam right in the middle of my edumacation and thankfully realized I better not take out more money than I can pay back. I didn't my degree until I was 27. And looking back I would have done things differently. How about promoting more technical jobs? This kid has no desire to have his class C and run big equipment or god forbid learn HVAC and start his own company. No he wants to go to law school as if we need more lawyers. And you missed the point , this KID already has a GOOD job most people would kill to have with a company that has very good upward mobility. But who wants to be a lowly manager at whole foods when you can be a lawyer with $100k in debt!

You saw the scam? Congrats! So did I!

Though, you have to understand: Because kids, who aren't even college material are encourage by not only their parents-many Baby Boomers and GenX who wasn't affected by the upcoming bubble or had the opportunity to live at home while paying back their debt.- but schools as well to go onto college. That's not even to mention the current conditioning going on, which will cause even more problems.

It's been the norm now(via the 80s or so) to be conditioned into it as an option for everyone. Older generations didn't have to deal with this. College was CHEAP, because there was less demand, less people went. Also, there were more jobs, which one might say the reasons for parents being paranoid to push children into going because of the downturn in available employment-insert cause here- which college can be attributed to as well-. Sounds like a vicious circle.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ah another 'this generation is better than 'x' generation' circle jerk.

Is it any wonder why no problems ever get solved?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

No. We just go to school for the wrong reasons. Go to school to become personally better. Pile on the debt if necessary, we can always pass a law to nullify it later or just print more money. People worry way to much about their credit scores. The greatest truth unremembered is that you cannot squeeze blood from a turnip.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
It doesn't hurt to have some empathy for your fellow humans. One thing I think we as a society should pay for is the education and betterment of our fellow man (or woman).

Sorry I have no empathy for some 23 year old who is gainfully employed with a decent company, in a decent job, probably with decent benefits. This kid could put in a few years of quality managerial experience with Whole Foods, which is a pretty fun place for a 23 year old to work……..awesome food, hot chicks, etc. Guess what? He could learn alot about what it takes to start your own organic farm, the logistics, and distribution knowledge of getting an organic brand or food item to market…..but know this kid only sees that being a lawyer is his only way to a middle class lifestyle. WHY??????? So he goes to law school racks up another $50-100K in debt to POSSIBLY strike it big in law? Meanwhile he's approaching his 30's still has to find a job in law…….still has loans. Meanwhile that same kid who started at Whole Foods at 23 years old is 30 years old and now works in the corporate office as a buyer, or is a store manager making close to 6 figures!!!!!! Or maybe that 23 year old has come up with his own organic salsa now being carried by Whole Foods…..

You know what the difference is between the middle class of the 50 years ago and today???? People actually WORKED for it back then. Now everybody thinks because you go to college you are ENTITLED to a middle class lifestyle. Not so. It's a privilege to be middle class in America…….not an entitlement because you get a degree like every other sheeple out there.

I get it….college is more expensive then it's EVER been. Welcome to the big grown up world…….because EVERYTHING is more expensive than it's ever been and if college kids can't learn how to adapt and find other ways to success just wait till they grow up and find out life doesn't get any easier. And with all the helicopter parents out there I feel most teens and tweens will have a very hard time dealing with the real world post college regardless of how much book learning and credentials they have.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

This is the progressive liberal plan. They pushed college as the only choice young people should make. Parents bought into it because it looks good on paper. So the young people bought into the lie and mount a ton of debt that can never be paid back. The progressive PTB took over all school loans knowing this debt is slavery inside the system.

This is what the progressive utopia looks like people. It is all a lie and it is time we see things for what they truly are. So many young people that are already screwed with debt and degrees they will never use. They will live with mom and dad never building a life outside the nest.

edit on 7-10-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

This is exactly what I mean. Yes the baby boomers messed up but it's no longer on them, it's on us. They allowed the corruption, oppression because being comfortable at home is better than standing up for rights.

But now, my generation sat back and fell into the same trap. And this time it's not the baby boomers. It's us. College has been beaten into our heads since day one but if we were so intelligent and informed as we think we are, we wouldn't fall for the traps.

Blaming one generation doesn't help when the generations following it are as gullible as the ones before.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash

No. We just go to school for the wrong reasons. Go to school to become personally better. Pile on the debt if necessary, we can always pass a law to nullify it later or just print more money. People worry way to much about their credit scores. The greatest truth unremembered is that you cannot squeeze blood from a turnip.

You're an idiot if you think you have to go to college nowadays to personally "better" yourself. I learned more on my OWN than I ever did in obtaining my bachelor's degree. Hell I probably learned more in one year on ATS about how the REAL world works than I ever did in a whole 4 years of history/economic/political classes.

Everyone wants to complain about how expensive things are compared to years past. WE HAVE THE INTERNET!!!! There is more knowledge available to a bigger mass of people than any other time in the history of the world. Our grandparents HAD TO GO TO COLLEGE because that's where all the knowledge and skills were. Knowledge and information is more accessible than it ever was. Yet young people can barely change their oil, crack an egg, or use a hammer!!!!!!!

If college kids don't like being taken advantage of maybe they should protest? Instead of tearing down goal posts at college football games maybe they should be razing the deans office!!!!!!!! Where are the protests? There are millions of college kids out of work with college debt yet I hear NOTHING on national news. It's not like they don't have the time.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The average college student (like the average citizen) only stands up for the things they're told are important issues. Anything else is nonexistent.

My generation is so screwed, we did this to ourselves. If we were so intelligent we wouldn't have fallen into the traps of the previous generations. But we're not. We believe the media, believe our teachers and think intelligence is measured in the amount of state-sanctioned facts a person can absorb and recite.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

You're a glarfunkle if you proflunkle. Yeah, I don't think so.

The interwebs don't have access to sophisticated equipment, so if you want to actually be aware of the most advanced topics in your interest and have access to the technologies and people using them, you're going to want to go to college. Plus all the lemmings of the world are transfixed by titles and papers, so having a degree actually does still sort of mean something.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
Ah another 'this generation is better than 'x' generation' circle jerk.

Is it any wonder why no problems ever get solved?

We could solve all sorts of problems if those damn baby boomers would just retire & die already.
edit on 7-10-2014 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

originally posted by: Nechash

You're a glarfunkle if you proflunkle. Yeah, I don't think so.

The interwebs don't have access to sophisticated equipment, so if you want to actually be aware of the most advanced topics in your interest and have access to the technologies and people using them, you're going to want to go to college. Plus all the lemmings of the world are transfixed by titles and papers, so having a degree actually does still sort of mean something.

See the thing is...You're wrong.
But the system obviously worked wonders for you.
Long live capitalism & worship of wealth!
edit on 7-10-2014 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I feel the same way for every boomer dying of cancer that showed no empathy towards the generations they screwed over.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join