It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viewing Guide: Watch Blood Moon During Total Lunar Eclipse on Wednesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The second in a rare set of four lunar eclipses will be visible across most of North America.
From National Geo

Much of North America will have front-row seats for this special sky show, which will particularly favor the western part of the continent. Sky-watchers there will be able to see the entire eclipse unfold high in the western skies; East Coast observers will see much of the first half of the eclipse. For early risers in the East, the full moon will be sinking below the western horizon around sunrise, just as the total eclipse is getting under way.

Eclipse watchers in Hawaii, Australia, and much of the Pacific region, including Japan, also will get a chance to see the entire eclipse unfold, though in their evening hours. In South America only the early stages of the eclipse—when Earth's shadow begins to cover the moon—will be visible, since the moon sets at dawn.

I get up very early and this morning about 4:30 am. I happened to notice a near full moon high in the western sky over my place in SW Colorado...

This time the orbital path of the Moon takes it through the northern half of Earth's umbral shadow. The total phase lasts 59 minutes primarily because the diameter of the umbral shadow is larger (1.49° verses 1.39°). The lunar path through Earth's shadows as well as a map illustrating worldwide visibility of the event are shown in Figure 3. The times of the major eclipse phases are listed below.
Penumbral Eclipse Begins: 08:15:33 UT
Partial Eclipse Begins: 09:14:48 UT
Total Eclipse Begins: 10:25:10 UT
Greatest Eclipse: 10:54:36 UT
Total Eclipse Ends: 11:24:00 UT
Partial Eclipse Ends: 12:34:21 UT
Penumbral Eclipse Ends: 13:33:43 UT

NASA

In my part of the world we have the remints of a tropical storm coming up at us from AZ. so there might be too much cloud cover to see it.
of course there will be a live feed to watch over the internet and I'm including the link below.

Live feed Event starts Wed Oct, 8 2014 3:00 AM MDT
edit on 7-10-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

The only good timetable I have is for Colorado... that's MST so you can fudge from there to your own time zones

According to timeanddate.com, in Denver, the Penumbral Eclipse will begin at 2:17 a.m., as Earth’s shadow begins to cover the face of the moon.

By 3:18 a.m., the moon will start to look red, due to the scattering of light.

A total eclipse will being at 4:27 a.m., peak around 4:55 a.m., and end at 5:22 a.m..

During this time the moon will have a reddish appearance, which is where it gets the name, Full Blood Moon.

The whole event will be over by 6:32 a.m..

As the moon sets in the west, the sun will be rising in the east, giving an extra special element to this rare event.

It’s the second in a tetrad of full blood moons that began in April. The third will be on April 4, 2015 and the fourth on September 27, 2015.

edit on 7-10-2014 by HardCorps because: Added time's zone for MST

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Wheres the doom?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
Wheres the doom?

Remember that guy who ran into the Whitehouse...
Omar Jose Gonzalez, carrying a folding knife. He said did it because he wanted to warn the president "the atmosphere was collapsing." and tonight's the night that's suppose to happen .... according to Omar Jose Gonzalez that is...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

originally posted by: Tucket
Wheres the doom?

Remember that guy who ran into the Whitehouse...
Omar Jose Gonzalez, carrying a folding knife. He said did it because he wanted to warn the president "the atmosphere was collapsing." and tonight's the night that's suppose to happen .... according to Omar Jose Gonzalez that is...

Thank you.
I was hoping someone could make the doom connection.
I will call it the 'Ebola Moon'.

An omen.... maybe?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The Ebola Moon, that is bad ass!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Now just how do you figure that's scary...

truly freighting would be to call it the
Super-Duper, All Time, Ultimate, Killer, "PMS" Moon !!!

now that my friend is really scary !

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

Now just how do you figure that's scary...

truly freighting would be to call it the
Super-Duper, All Time, Ultimate, Killer, "PMS" Moon !!!

now that my friend is really scary !

I had one of those.... and her 'moon' was damn near the death of me.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I just found a local news source that better narrows the time frame for the big show...
Keep in mind this came from a local source so the times listed are for Mountain Standard time... you can fudge those number to fit your own time zones.

According to timeanddate.com, in Denver, the Penumbral Eclipse will begin at 2:17 a.m., as Earth’s shadow begins to cover the face of the moon.

By 3:18 a.m., the moon will start to look red, due to the scattering of light.

A total eclipse will being at 4:27 a.m., peak around 4:55 a.m., and end at 5:22 a.m..

During this time the moon will have a reddish appearance, which is where it gets the name, Full Blood Moon.

The whole event will be over by 6:32 a.m..

As the moon sets in the west, the sun will be rising in the east, giving an extra special element to this rare event.

It’s the second in a tetrad of full blood moons that began in April. The third will be on April 4, 2015 and the fourth on September 27, 2015.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I feel like suing God and the Universe for originating my birth in such a crap sky viewing country, they've both really let me down man.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Totality will be ending for me right when the sun is hitting the horizon (the moon will still be about half a degree above the horizon). It would perfect to be able to get that shot of both visible above the horizon simultaneously, called a "selenelion." Unfortunately the weather is forecast to be cloudy, so I probably won't be able to see either the sun or the moon tomorrow morning
edit on 7-10-2014 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

There have been a lot of celestial treats for us this year! It's going to be a late night, lol.

Here's a handy link where you can enter your city and state and it will let you know what time the eclipse will be visible in your area.

Time and Date: October 8th Lunar Eclipse
edit on 7-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Isaiah 24:23
Then the moon shall be confounded,
and the sun ashamed,
when the Lord of hosts shall reign in mount Zion,
and in Jerusalem,
and before his ancients gloriously.
Isaiah 24:22-23 (in Context) Isaiah 24 .

Can the moon have awareness??
moon shall be confounded

con·found·ed, con·found·ing, con·founds. 1. To cause to become confused or perplexed.

curious.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Us folks in Arizona will be dealing with the disintegrating Hurricane Simon, so no eclipse watching for us. Too cloudy. Bummer.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadoefax
But I was able to watch it live on Slooh. Fantastic!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
It was clear enough here in Eastern Pennsylvania to see the eclipse, but it was below the horizon for me before I saw any redness.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shadoefax
Us folks in Arizona will be dealing with the disintegrating Hurricane Simon, so no eclipse watching for us. Too cloudy. Bummer.

I'm up here in SW Colorado so the storm/clouds got us too.

I was up at 4, hoping for a break in the cloud cover... no such luck.
So I let the wife and girls sleep in then we all saw the pictures on the morning news... Sighs

top topics

join