It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Gives Mom Car Seat, Not Ticket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Sorry, no ebola or ISIS in here.

Many here know me as not being a fan of cops but for some reason I just believe the sincerity behind this act of kindness. Sometimes I see these acts as staged to appease the public but this is sincere IMO.

It's in his demeanor.

His karma rating just got a big bump today.

We need more...A lot more!

Peace

edit on 7-10-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
We have a state trooper in our area who did the same thing a few years ago.

I have been privileged to know a few really good officers in my lifetime, but as with any job of power, it can attract some bad eggs.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Did they seize the camera of the person doing the filming?
Because they are sensitive about that.

Oh... he was doing something legal? In that case, I guess it's OK to film.

edit on 7-10-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Did they seize the camera of the person doing the filming?
Because they are sensitive about that.

Oh... he was doing something legal? In that case, I guess it's OK to film.

No idea.

Just tired of Doom and Gloom today. Never checked.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

This is good to see but sadly we dont see it enough.

This one good cop doesnt make up for the thousands of bandits or brothers in arms or oath keepers(Oath breakers) whaterver you call this gang with badges.

A single drop of oil contaminates a whole gallon of water

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MGaddafi

This is good to see but sadly we dont see it enough.

This one good cop doesnt make up for the thousands of bandits or brothers in arms or oath keepers(Oath breakers) whaterver you call this gang with badges.

A single drop of oil contaminates a whole gallon of water

You have no idea how much I agree.

I'm happy for mom tho.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I appreciate You bringing a little Love/Light to a subject that is ever increasingly going deeper down the drain.. (a new thread just now about a NYPD cop pistol whipping some kid...)

Until the cops are more representative of the community 'they' serve and back off the PROACTIVE-Militaristic-Heavy YANG tactics that We're constantly being bombarded with, the wind will NOT be at 'their' backs...

'They' have a lot more work to do. Time to tuck the 'ego' and get back to "Protecting and Serving" and not violating every citizen (read: Boss) as having an agenda.

And that is coming from a retired cop...

1 down, 3,537 to go... but I'm reminded of the Tao.. "The journey of 1,000 miles begins w/a single step..."

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

I appreciate You bringing a little Love/Light to a subject that is ever increasingly going deeper down the drain.. (a new thread just now about a NYPD cop pistol whipping some kid...)

Until the cops are more representative of the community 'they' serve and back off the PROACTIVE-Militaristic-Heavy YANG tactics that We're constantly being bombarded with, the wind will NOT be at 'their' backs...

'They' have a lot more work to do. Time to tuck the 'ego' and get back to "Protecting and Serving" and not violating every citizen (read: Boss) as having an agenda.

And that is coming from a retired cop...

1 down, 3,537 to go... but I'm reminded of the Tao.. "The journey of 1,000 miles begins w/a single step..."

Tuck the ego and roids IMO.

Never a good combo.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If we drop our preconceived notions about groups of people (LEO) then someone doing something nice for someone else is not so strange or unusual.

Not everyone in a group acts the same or has the same programming, it's nice to see a story that reflects this.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
That's cool. I've known of a couple cops here were I live doing this too. I took all my kids' car seats to the mission as soon as they either upgraded, or in the case of my daughter; Grew out of it. We take shoes, clothes and everything else that the less fortunate need and donate it to the mission. My sons had 4 pairs of light-up shoes and I thought how cool it will be that a poor kid will get those. They were like brand new. I bet it made their day! Stuff like that makes me happy. We all have to do our part. I will not give to the salvation army, though. They're a business,- that somehow fooled people into thinking that they're a charity. Also, I just took a crap load of good toys, some very expensive, to the mission. I hope it brings lots of happiness to the kids who get them.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is a guy who understands that ticketing the woman doesn't solve the problem. This is just like putting someone in jail, where it doesn't solve anything, and perpetuates a broken system. He could have ticketed her but that would not have fixed the situation, but instead would have made it worse for the woman. I like to see humanity from cops, or anyone else really. There should be more people who treat others like human beings. And cops should be taught to use good judgement, not to go by the letter of the law.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

And more to Your point.. When I started My police career, I was assigned to dayshift which meant working Mon.-Thur. from 0700-1700 and shifts were chosen by 'seniority' Union shop, no way You could be a cop w/out the police union insurance and this was before what is now happening. The Sgt. told Me the first day "You don't need to write any tickets and when You do make contact, the other drivers will naturally slow down..." I never forgot that.

Now it seems every traffic stop the alleged offender is given a stub and asked if their car can be searched?? My local paper, the rag that it is, although better suited to wrap fish, if You have the stomach for it, the "Police Log" is loaded with numerous folks getting contacted and then low and behold "the k-9 alerted to the possible presence of a controlled substance"

This is why it takes 3 hrs. for a simple "noise complaint" instead of answering 'radio calls' actually servicing the people that actually WANT police contact these guys are out "beach combing" (police vernacular for those old guys in Flori-Duh that have nothing better to do than looking for gold but usually finding 'bottle caps'... ANSWER YOUR RADIO!!! "Somebody has to be 10-8"

I broke My back/neck and lost 3 friends and would like to think it was done for something??? I guess I feel like the WWII folks that built up this country only to watch it circle the drain... This too shall pass.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus
This is a guy who understands that ticketing the woman doesn't solve the problem. This is just like putting someone in jail, where it doesn't solve anything, and perpetuates a broken system. He could have ticketed her but that would not have fixed the situation, but instead would have made it worse for the woman. I like to see humanity from cops, or anyone else really. There should be more people who treat others like human beings. And cops should be taught to use good judgement, not to go by the letter of the law.

I think a lot of tickets might be better off not being written as so many are just tax grabs anyways. The only result? Anger.

Cops let each other off all the time but we pay what we can't afford.

Peace

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I posted this in the other thread, but I wanted to post it here since the other got pointed to yours.

With all of the horrible stories in the news about police lately, it is nice to hear about a good officer. It has gotten to the point with the bad issues that I am terrified of being pulled over, despite knowing that I am not doing anything to get pulled over for.

Yet, in the 22 years that I've been driving, I've only been pulled over a couple of times. One was 10 or so years ago for speeding and, while I was speeding and deserved the ticket, the cop actually apologized to me for having to write it and urged me to please just be careful in the future. The second time was this past 4th of July. I was driving my family back from a celebration at my parents place and I was pulled over for a headlight being out. The light had just been replaced the day before by my husband and I told the officer that. He explained that it was likely that a wire had come loose and explained to my husband, who was riding passenger, how to fix it so that the wires would stay put and then told us to have a nice night and watch out for any other cars on the road who might have done too much celebrating and sent us on our way.

On top of that, I have had another time, back when I was about 20, when I was pulled over on the side of the road with a flat tire. This was before I was married and the boy that I was dating at the time was out of town, it was about 1:30 or 2 in the morning and I didn't want to call and wake my dad up to come rescue me, especially since I was about 45 minutes away from their house and nearly back to my apartment in a different town, but I was in trouble and stuck because, while I do know how to change a flat, I had just found out that I don't have the physical strength to actually do so. An officer pulled up and stopped, I explained my dilemma and he took my tools, got down on the ground and fixed me up and got me on my way as good as new.

All of my encounters were positive, even the one when I actually was in the wrong, but it is hard to remember those good interactions sometimes after reading so many other stories of police abusing their power. It is really a nice reminder that there are some truly wonderful officers out there and they do deserve to be recognized for their helpful good actions.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
If that had been me or any other guy, he would've ignored the sob story and wrote me a ticket. Being a cute single mom has it's advantages I suppose.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Dont be fooled people this was a $50 attempt to buy some good press for a department that has an officer

On paid leave for sexual assault on his own family member

And it looks like it's working

Read more here
edit on am1020143110America/ChicagoWed, 08 Oct 2014 10:14:31 -0500_10u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

I'm going to agree with @Another_Nut here. Im curious as to how this even reached the press in the first place..?

If this officer was just trying to do a good deed why would he go about basically gloating?

There is so much bad press on cops right now, it does seem to me like he just wanted to make himself look good. I'm not saying what he did wasn't nice and I'm sure the woman he helped is very grateful, but IMO, he took this moment as a chance to try to turn the table and make people think that there are cops out there that want to help. In the end, he was doing it for himself not for the woman and her child.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

Someone called this in because the little girl was standing up while her mom was driving. So this wasn't a money issue, it was a discipline issue. Buying her a booster seat solved nothing.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I imagine a five year old could most definately unbuckle a seatbelt easily. We cannot say the mother wasn't disciplining her as she was driving. We can say, however, that if the child had been in a safety seat she wouldn't have been able to unbuckle herself. Therefore I don't think it has anything to do with discipline but infact has to do with not being able to afford a seat. But that's ridiculous because any mother knows that their child's safety comes before anything else. There are plenty of places and people willing to help out with complete strangers in order to provide safety or care for children. And that's what the officer did, regardless of WHY he did it.

Cops can't write tickets for no discipline in a household. So why was this taken to the press? And how would whoever called it in know that the child was standing up? Just doesn't add up to me and like I said if there was only good in what the cop was trying to do why did it get brought to the press other than to bring a good light on the cop or station in general.

edit on 9-10-2014 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2014 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Thank you for some good news today!
It's much needed!

top topics

join