It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis As Addictive As Heroin, Major New Study Finds

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Yeah I bet the alcohol companies.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Im sure its a company that is invested in something that Weed helps

But honestly statements like this are purely based on ignorance and fear...

Heroin will destroy a persons life in a very short time.... Weed will not ever...

Admittedly though I do get a laugh out of the people who claim weed destroyed "their friend's life"... Obviously they're lying, or didn't understand the entire picture of that friend's issues

edit on 7-10-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I'm 25, female, and recently started having the odd joint on a weekend. Honestly, I don't think pot is for me but that's mainly because of the tobacco however, it certainly helps me physically relax and sleep but as the point of this thread is about addiction my two cents is that pot is not "addictive" if you smoke it in adulthood. I could easily never smoke a joint again for the next 10 years but couldn't last 6 months without a beer on a weekend. Make of that what you will.

Pot should be legalised, simple as. The fact that it is illegal is a total and utter slap in the face to people. If a doctor can prescribe you addictive drugs they should be able to prescribe you pot!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Calalini

Alcohol is addictive as well and that stuff is legal. Plus, alcohol us the only "drug" that will kill someone who is going through withdrawals after quitting cold turkey without the care of a doctor.

Everything can be addictive, cigarettes, coffee, tea, people, places....

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Thing is I have know people on H and they hold down jobs and the like...they can afford their addiction but yes it is much worse than weed.
I think some people have something in them what makes them addicted very easy and some don't.
I knew a lad in college and he took speed once and went BS crazy and was sectioned.
Same with anything really I ran pubs and drank 20 pints a day was I addicted? nope when I left the pub game I didn't need a drink at all and didn't have one for 6 months.
Some have an addictive mindset some don't.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I've known quite a few people that have been on Heroin... unfortunately... sadly I've never seen anyone with the ability to kick the habit

Once its in your life, its always in your life... Even if you manage to get away from it, it will always be in the back of the former user's mind...

its because of how it makes you feel... its a euphoria that has no equal... and that want never goes away...

It makes me sick when I see crap like this posted around the internet...

its utter bull#e...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I had a drug class in college and I remember one of the amazing things I learned was smoked tobacco pushed the hardest and quickest to addiciton, and it was legal! Please note my book lists smoked tobacco at leading to addiction faster than smoking crack coc aine or injecting methamphetamine. I recall looking on the list for Marijuana and finding it just below Alcohol, above Caffeine.

Look here, this is similar to what I saw in my book back in about 2003 when I had that class:
www.drugwarfacts.org - Addictive Properties of Popular Drugs...

Here's an article which compared Alcohol and Marijuana:
www.livescience.com -
Marijuana vs. Alcohol: Which Is Really Worse for Your Health?...

The article doesn't definitely conclude one is better than the other, but it does make these observations:
* Binge-drinking can kill you. Overdosing on Marijuana isn't nearly as lethal.
* Both impact coordination and balance.
* Longterm alcohol use is well known and harmful. It's much less well understood what longterm Marijuana use will do to the body.
* Marijuana use might worsen or increase psychiatic or cognitive problems.
* Longterm users of Marijuana tend to smoke tobacco too, complicating studies.
* Marijuana affects growth of young person's brain.
* Most Marijuana users only smoke a couple times a week.
* Evidence shows smoking Marijuana doesn't lead to lung cancer. It's unclear why it doesn't have same affects as smoked tobacco.
* There's no known health benefit for Alcohol. Marijuana is used for pain.
edit on 7-10-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
In response to your query, the opiates are quite difficult to quit. One should expect frequent acute withdrawal symptoms, such as cramping, vomiting, chills, and the feeling like you have a bad case of the flu. There is more, but let's leave the psychological aspects aside, in this case.

Tobacco is said to be as hard, or harder to quit, than even heroin, but then, you don't vomit, and stuff, just because you're out of smokes.

Cannabis? Most users quit on a weekly basis, cold turkey in fact. One only needs what one needs, like vitamins.

There's stuff out there that is so chock full 'o nutritional goodness, that all you have to do is to look at it.

# 291
edit on 7-10-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Im sorry but the fact is... the ONLY thing that is comparable to the addictiveness of Heroin is Nicotine...

And Nicotine is still not even close...

And its Legal!!

LOLOL

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Posting after reading the headline. Addictive as heroin? Who made this study, the Heroin Institute Of New York (funded by the liquor and tobacco industries)? If good ole Mary Jane was as addictive as heroin....no, I can't even think up a good joke for this. It's just stupid, and pure 1930s-type propaganda. excuse me a moment (hahahahaha heeheeheehahahaha huh?). It just isn't so, so this thread might as well be headed off to the hoax bin.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shepard64
People who say Marijuana is not at all addictive are in denial, I knew this guy who claimed it was not and at the same time watching him on his hands and knees looking for little bits that fell on the floor covered in hair and dust saying he can't sleep without it lol I couldn't help but laugh at him.

When something is expensive (can be) and illegal, you bet people would be picking little bits of it up off the floor.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

That may be true... and slightly amusing

But people will not rob banks, and people... and or commit serious crimes when they run out of weed...

The same can not be said about Heroin...

The biggest crime that ever happened on weed....

Who stole my oreo cookie!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Im sure its a company that is invested in something that Weed helps

But honestly statements like this are purely based on ignorance and fear...

Heroin will destroy a persons life in a very short time.... Weed will not ever...

Admittedly though I do get a laugh out of the people who claim weed destroyed "their friend's life"... Obviously they're lying, or didn't understand the entire picture of that friend's issues

weed ruined my life when i was younger it made me lazy and i could not get out of bed , i would not even go to any place crowded it turned a happy go lucky guy into a very quiet paranoid android but i liked it and then some and that was when i was 21 all the kids now are hash heads at 13 .

I never had any mental health issues always a hard worker and running a firm by the time i was 20 then the weed happened and drinking followed and jeebus did i dig that but when i look back on my life i wish i had never touched weed and when it was mixed with alcohol game over , stupid sleepy time .

It is as addictive as anything when you are down to your last bit be it alcohol or tobacco or what ever

The heroine one is a puzzle to me i have heard about people holding down good jobs who are on it and nobody would ever know as long as they have enough money to control it ,but why some idiot would ever want to stick a needle in themselves is beyond me .

Don't knock it till you try it some say and my answer to that one was is that it ? a beer and some mj did a lot more to me .

now i am older and wiser and wonder who is at the top o the food chain and where the money and power go

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I hate studies that are so over the top they create a bigger problem. There will be a bunch of kids who have tried weed and not been addicted tempted to try heroin thinking they can handle it the same way. It is most irresponsible. Way to go doc...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

Should never mix it with booze.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
My .02: weed is not addictive for most people, but for those few that do get hooked on it, it can be as harsh as a heroin addiction.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

weed ruined my life when i was younger it made me lazy and i could not get out of bed , i would not even go to any place crowded it turned a happy go lucky guy into a very quiet paranoid android but i liked it and then some and that was when i was 21 all the kids now are hash heads at 13 .

I never had any mental health issues always a hard worker and running a firm by the time i was 20 then the weed happened and drinking followed and jeebus did i dig that but when i look back on my life i wish i had never touched weed and when it was mixed with alcohol game over , stupid sleepy time .

So clearly just by what you just said... and the fact that you are still here... managing to create fully functioning sentences... it did not ruin your life...

It made you lazy... It made you paranoid...

it effects everyone differently... but clearly its not for you... You stopped using it...

IF you had have substituted Weed in your past with Heroin... You would not be where you are...

And no... its not as addictive as anything else when you're out....

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

, most anti-everything amongst us knows that stuff isn't addictive.

If even if is as addictive as alchohol and heroin which I doubt , so what? So are cigerettes , and pain medication , yet they are all legal besides heroin.

The biggest difference is that marijuana is much more safer than heroin and people are less likely to cause harm to others on MJ than on being drunk.

They are definitely pulling all the cards to scare the people. Sadly most people just swallow it.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Should never mix it with booze.

But you know yourself when it is getting passed round , i will just take a few drags

then you wake up in the cells wondering what happened

where did it go wrong

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
As a practicing addictions counselor and a person with a past *wink wink i have first hand experience on either side of this argument and i have to side with this research. I would rather work with a heroin addict all day than a pot head for 45 minutes. Like it or not the social acceptance of cannabis use and the pseudo science on its use has lead many people to develop problems stopping use because they don't see pot as a problem. Withdrawal symptoms such as sleeplessness, depression, irritability, loss of appetite all become noticeable within 2 days after a period of heavy use and then stopping but the biggest cause of relapse is social pressure and addictive thinking not the withdrawal symptoms.

The biggest reason heroin addiction is just as bad as cannabis addiction is because a heroin addict usually wants to stop using and a cannabis addict doesn't thus resulting in skewed numbers. Cannabis users don't like being told to stop use and returning to use is why this survey has the numbers it does. As an example i work with people on papers (probation, parole) under the agreements with the courts they cannot use any mind altering substances including alcohol yet a majority of those who violate do so because of cannabis use and/or blowing off treatment because they "don't have a problem" well in my opinion if they don't have a problem why chose pot over freedom? This lead me to believe they are either addicted or stupid.

As far as mental illness caused by use, its the old which came first the chicken or the egg argument, There is a direct correlation between substance use and mental illness however it is hard to tell which caused which.

As far as dropping out of school as identified by the study it does not say that smoking weed makes you drop out it just highlights the fact that those who drop out are more likely to have smoked pot and to be honest everyone i know who dropped out was smoking weed though there was other factors involved it still contributes to the numbers.

Go ahead and flame me if you must but i work first hand with addicts and i have see the results of this study everyday in my office and i agree but not for the reasons must would believe but because pot is not seen as a problem it has become a problem. Responsible use does not breed addiction, abuse does.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join