It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis As Addictive As Heroin, Major New Study Finds

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
Another doctor towing the marijuana is as bad as heroin line. Wonder how much he was paid for that report? I have personally known people that were heavy marijuana users for years and quit cold turkey for things like a job, or change in their lifestyle, or because their wife said it's me or pot.

I doubt very much that someone who used heroin for years could do that.
Also to note the only bad side effect that any of them went through was losing a little weight from eating less if you can call that a negative side effect.

'Studies' like this baffle me. I'm a 27 year old California coast native - that should speak for itself. I've quit cold turkey when it was necessary, and in all reality it wasn't much of a struggle other than simply breaking the physical habit. I would sit in 'the green room' while everyone else partook, and just hang back.

Much like cigarettes, for many people, Marijuana use is either a social 'in', or a physical reliance. For some both. I've had very close friends fight Heroin and Meth addictions - and seeing someone curled up on a bed for days at a time does not compare to what I went through - and to compare them seems moot. The two drugs are ingested for entirely different reasons. Literally; many Heroin addicts will use it to reduce nausea, or Meth addicts will use it to bring them down a little if they got a bit heavy on their other dose. I'm not a user of either, so I can't attest to the further 'benefits' sought in Marijuana in these cases, but even for the hard drug users - Marijuana is not an amplifier or a bonus - it's regularity in their completely devastated psyche.

I've still been unable to stop smoking cigarettes since 18 - and it's not for lack of trial. I've also taken some of the hardest drugs known to man, and not touched them again for years at a time - or even never again. As a response to this, for daily smokers, Marijuana is primarily addictive for the sake of its truly beneficial physical effects.

Once someone has passed the 'Oh it's what everyone's doing' phase, and moved onto the 'Yeah this is just what I do' era - the lack of it simply doesn't feel 'normal'. Anxiety and restlessness peak, ADHD returns, hypertension resumes - need I go on?

I will admit that in some cases, Marijuana can be ( heaven forbid I say this, but... ) a 'gateway drug' - but I would argue strongly that many of the cases where this applies, users would have likely pursued heavier drugs regardless of use of Marijuana.

Couple posts above yours; 'Marijuana doesn't kill people, people kill people.'

Blaming the substance for abuse is like blaming the gun for a murder.

Give a man a knife, or a gun - he's still got the option to kill someone. I'd rather he had the knife.

That's my two cents - I hope I haven't divulged too much; just trying to briefly share some experience...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

I wonder what 'they' are thinking now that they know people are pushing back and not believing all the lies?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Different people react to various substances in very different ways. I have been around the block a few times. Alcohol is the only substance I have personally found to have any addictive qualities, and withdrawal is not pleasant.
Opiates and stimulants have little to no effect on my system. I guess I should count myself lucky. I have seen people go straight down the tubes on that stuff.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shepard64
People who say Marijuana is not at all addictive are in denial, I knew this guy who claimed it was not and at the same time watching him on his hands and knees looking for little bits that fell on the floor covered in hair and dust saying he can't sleep without it lol I couldn't help but laugh at him.

Marijuana is not addictive at all. However, personalities are another thing.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Calalini

My God...

There are times when it is difficult to know how to approach a subject, due to its impenetrable nature. There are other times, this being one of them, when the only issue is just where one ought to begin.

First of all, the idea that Heroin is less addictive than Cannabis is laughable. You do not hear of people doing Heroin on the weekend, or every now and again at a rock festival, or in any way on a casual basis. The reason being, is that the vast majority of people who are on it at all, are on it because they are hooked to the point of being technically disabled, in terms of their ability to do much else other than crash, hit, crash, hit, crash....

But that is not at all the case with Cannabis.

There are stories, of gangs forcing people to take their first hit of various substances, including Heroin, in order to get them good and hooked, as a money making scheme. But you never hear of that happening with Cannabis. Why is that? Because it would not work, that is why!

There are two types of addict in the world near as I can tell. Well, perhaps more than that, but two which have specific relevance to this topic. The first sort, is the sort of person who has come across such a potently effective drug, that the brain, no matter its individual construction, is several hundred percent more likely to become chemically dependent on the drug in question, having had just one hit of it.

The second, is the sort of addict who is an addict because they are addictive about everything they do. They will eat to excess, and drink like a maniac, and drive over the speed limit, and have all the sex in the universe, four times a day if they can get it because they can never get enough, enough fun, enough calm, enough crazy, enough of ANY damned thing.

You can be a Cannabis user, and be neither of these. The same cannot be said of Heroin.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
You posted an article and MANY replies now stating that you have physical withdrawls from cannabis as described in the linked article. Don't get offended if you don't like my reply. If you feel like I'm being aggressive to you personally, that is on you. I'm simply arguing an opposing view to the study that YOU posted. It's your thread partner.

Believe it or not, I have a pretty firm grasp on the condition of the world I live in. I hate to point it out to you again, but if weed was truly as addictive as this study(I think we all recognize your guilt by association) claims the world would be in MUCH WORSE condition. Considering the high percentage of Earthlings who admit they are users, if the physical symptoms are as stated here, we would be in trouble. People to sick to work everywhere, vomit in the streets, homeless everywhere! It would be chaos! Jim said it right earlie people don't go to the extremes of robbing, killing etc. to get some herb, it just doesn't happen & as they say, the proof is in the puddin'. No one chooses buying cannabis over feeding your children, a true physical addiction has pushed people to that and much much worse.

You started the thread to find other's opinions on the article. So far it seems the general consensus is a resounding "BS"! Don't take it personally my friend, roll one up & relax..

edit on 7-10-2014 by wastedown because: grammar & to add a bit

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

People who say Marijuana is not at all addictive are in denial, I knew this guy who claimed it was not and at the same time watching him on his hands and knees looking for little bits that fell on the floor covered in hair and dust saying he can't sleep without it lol I couldn't help but laugh at him.

Lol, that is truly some next level bull#, did you just make this up? Nobody and I mean nobody is going to crawl around in the hopes of finding enough shake to get medicated.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown
You posted an article and MANY replies now stating that you have physical withdrawls from cannabis as described in the linked article. Don't get offended if you don't like my reply. If you feel like I'm being aggressive to you personally, that is on you. I'm simply arguing an opposing view to the study that YOU posted. It's your thread partner.

Believe it or not, I have a pretty firm grasp on the condition of the world I live in. I hate to point it out to you again, but if weed was truly as addictive as this study(I think we all recognize your guilt by association) claims the world would be in MUCH WORSE condition. Considering the high percentage of Earthlings who admit they are users, if the physical symptoms are as stated here, we would be in trouble. People to sick to work everywhere, vomit in the streets, homeless everywhere! It would be chaos! Jim said it right earlie people don't go to the extremes of robbing, killing etc. to get some herb, it just doesn't happen & as they say, the proof is in the puddin'.

You started the thread to find other's opinions on the article. So far it seems the general consensus is a resounding "BS"! Don't take it personally my friend, role one up & relax

Not much to add other than that I can guarantee you that the number of users that admit they user Marijuana is drastically lower than the number of people that actually do. Just in addition to your statement.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Lol, that is truly some next level bull#, did you just make this up? Nobody and I mean nobody is going to crawl around in the hopes of finding enough shake to get medicated.

Nobody... Nobody, is going to crawl around and look for scrap leaves in their carpet... The most I've ever seen anyone do is look under the furniture for runaway nugs...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Hasn't Jesus been "used" enough..? I get it. You had an uncomfortable time adjusting to not using cannabis and thought You'd warn Us, I get it. "Thanks" for sharing. As You can probably decipher from some of the replies You've received that "our mileage varied" ..

I also gleaned the fact that You are PRO-legalization but w/a 'proviso' but because the ballots don't provide enough room for "reasons/rationalizations"

Generally speaking (typing) I've found that "some" ATS™ members take offense if lied to; preached to or folks don't readily agree w/their opinion. Like someOne they will NEVER know, will NEVER meet has a bearing on what happens in their so called La Vida Loca...

I'd much rather ingest fentanyl™, oxycodone™ and the lil blue/green ones because I can't crap right....

Don't take it personal. I still Love You. I just don't agree with You, but still Love You...

namaste

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It's irresponsible to put out information like this. We don't want our kids getting mixed up over what is more harmful, pot or smack. Some may have tried pot and realised its not harmful or addictive, so why not give heroin a try. Clear distinctions need to be made between different drugs.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

It's adults that are actively confusing kids. The sooner we all stop pretending to be scared of drugs, the better for everyone.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite
I agree, it's the scare stories that are in danger of doing more harm than the drug they try to demonise. It's why there will never be legal MJ in the UK, because the daily mail is chief policy maker for the UK government. Imagine one newspaper having so much power over domestic policy in a country.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
It's irresponsible to put out information like this. We don't want our kids getting mixed up over what is more harmful, pot or smack. Some may have tried pot and realised its not harmful or addictive, so why not give heroin a try. Clear distinctions need to be made between different drugs.

Frightening proposition in the long run...

Heroin use goes up 'because marijuana use goes up' 'because heroin isn't as bad as weed'.

Truly... Truly frightening.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Wow, this is garbage.

Nothing about this study is scientific or accurate. I'm pretty sure it draws on data conclusions made 20 years ago, which we know are false and misleading.

What a joke!

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite
They have to know that the jig is up. I know they noticed all the comment sections at every major website. lol
But I don't put anything past desperate people who are trying desperately to hold onto power...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Have these researchers ever seen the effects of the methadone program? All it does it replaces one addiction with another!

Ive seen people who have constantly pushed 'done into their veins and say how it's 'helping them kick their heroin habit'-yet every time they said that they did so with a slurred drawl and a drooping head.

However excessive pot smoking has detrimental effects as well; people have smoked themselves to insanity. But stoners won't die if they don't get a hit from a bong before nights end-the same cannot be said about heroin and alcohol because in the latter two the withdrawal symptoms can be fatal.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
WOW What Bull !

I'm a former street kid and I've seen first hand what heroin can do. I've seen it kill 2 dozen of my friends and leave another 100+ so addicted that they are going to be on Methadone for the rest of their lives. Whoever wrote that article is ignorant. I mean I've seen some whoppers on ATS but this one quite literally takes the cake.

I owe a lot to Marijuana. I broke my knee in a pretty horrific matter about 6 years ago and rather than take the painkillers the doctors gave me (Oxy's another great drug we can talk about some time) I decided to stick to pot and im glad I did. It made being bedridden tolerable, Had me eating despite the fact I was depressed and actually improved my general demeanor. Anyone who believes the BULL in the OP should probably just fire one up. That'll get you thinking clearly. lol

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I made a mistake by not making my position more clear in the OP, which I've corrected. Sadly, you can't just post an article or people assume you are promoting an agenda. I have my own reasons to doubt the majority of anti-marijuana propaganda. In truth, I only read this article this morning. I don't know anything about who is behind the study. I did foresee that this discussion would be largely one-sided, and I thought it would be an interesting social experiment...

I notice, time and again, that people will ever downplay that there could be any negative effects whatsoever from marijuana addiction. You see it in this very thread. My testimony doesn't mean much. I'm instantly relegated to a minority. A large portion of the marijuana advocacy movement just can't see beyond the romance of their addiction. Pot to the modern pro-advocate has become medication, a way of life. It can't possibly have any bad effects whatsoever, or it's surely lies, propaganda, agendas.. etc. Any evidence or study to the contrary is dismissed out of hand, *unless it is pro-marijuana*. Then they say, "See? It's wonderful".

I think the BS and propaganda comes from both sides personally.

So, yeah, I'm not into robot group mind think. I don't nod, just because every one else is nodding and it sounds wonderful and I don't want to be the oddball out.

So, yes, I wonder about how many people are really being honest about how addicted they are. Users make a lot of claims about easy it is to quit, but I see a lot of claims and I know from my own personal experience that it is not so easy. I see a lot of heads who are a lot more than just grumpy when they run out, but I'm not claiming they go insane and start vomiting like Linda Blair. And I've seen a lot of heads who downplay addiction, who are so obviously entrenched in pot that they can't get out of bed for more than a few minutes before medicating.

Pot has many positive attributes, and it has detrimental attributes as well. It's interesting and a little sad that we can't have truly honest debate about it, and like politics or religion, there is either only one totally one-sided opinion about it or the other. It's a very interesting social subject regardless.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Lol, no it is not. I smoked almost every day during highschool and a couple of year after that just because it was there. Now I havent smoked it in a almost a year and it was not like "Im gonna quit smoking damnit!" I am just not in a place where there is alot of cannabis and let me tell you this: I dont feel any different without it or with it, im just not high now haha.

My point is this. try using heroin every day for about 4-5 years and just see how good you feel after a day or two without it.
edit on 7-10-2014 by Nettlas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join