It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain Warns "Something Went Wrong" As Suspected Ebola Cases Rise In Madrid

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Looking at the all different bits of clothing that the workers have to wear (googles, hood, gloves, trousers, boots, all held together with duct tape), I'm not surprised people are getting infected. Fluids could get through the tape or gaps.

When I look at this picture:

source

Somehow I have a feeling that the airborne problem is a serious issue. Not to mention this kind of protections starts to make science fiction movies a joke.
edit on 7/10/2014 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

Depends on if they want us to panic or be fearful. If they thought they could make us fearful without panicking us they would tell us it had gone air borne. If they thought we would panic and they wouldn't be able to control us,then it didn't go air borne.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

At USAMRIID they would never handle Ebola without a separate air supply. Even when they went in to "nuke" the Reston monkey house,they all had air tanks on and pressurized suits. So that tells you the Army does believe its air borne and won't play with it. Even then they were fearful of handling all that dead monkey meat.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys

You are absolutely correct. They clearly need level 1 HAZMAT suits (SCBA and all) Without that level of protection, gowns and gloves are just going to continue to spread this virus. Where and how do they dispose of all of this used equipment too? Landfill? I hope they are at least intelligent enough to incinerate it all.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

When you are dealing with a beastie like Ebola, you don't play.

To the poster that questioned the double gloving, as long as the inner glove is powdered before donning the outer set friction should not be a problem.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Ebola requires BSL4. Very few hospitals in the world are so equipped. Full stop.

In addition? If it is true the nurse cared for both priests, is that this may be more a case of the experts not really knowing how and when this plague is transmitted. For all we know she took it home on something and gave it back to herself later.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Here is what the CDC and the WHO think is currently sufficient for EBOLA and PPE use:

WHO EBOLA PPE POSTER.

CDC EBOLA PPE POSTER.

Any claim a breathing apparatus is now required is acknowledgment the virus indeed is airborne.

Actually those are barely sufficient requirements for field use. In the lab Ebola is considered a biohazard level 4, the highest level. Airborne or not they take the highest precautions there are.

Negative pressure lab, positive pressure suits and "hot boxes" to deal with such infectious agents as Ebola.

That kind of containment is impossible in the field so they are forced to recommend the next best thing.

Viruses are among the smallest living things. Using a simple surgical mask is the least one can do. And probably not sufficient enough to prevent contamination in all situations.

Understand too, the smaller a bit of dust (or virus) is the easier it "wafts" into the air with the slightest breeze. This is an airborne condition in a room of hot virus infected people in a tent in African and even a bio safety lab level 4.

What they recommend and what is the most desirable are two different things…

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Tuesday Humor? Spain's Ebola Containment Protocols

This is how a spanish hospital is isolating an ebola-infected nurse:

I don't find this particularly funny, in fact I find it down right unbelievable and worrying.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
What about all the stupid reporters reporting the ebola cases, how come they have on NO equipment, but yet are allowed to go to and from countries to report on ebola? What's up with that one? Talk about spreading it around. IDIOTS. I guess the spread of ebola is like herpe's. A friend for life. What's my problem, is now your problem. who cares. This way of thinking must be stopped and contained. Stupid idiots.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

oh yeah, that will work out just fine. No worries here. HACK,HACK. I must be comin down with a cold, i better take the day off- go shopping for some cold meds, go home, fix dinner and go to bed. This is the mentality of the ignorant, IDIOT. It is people like this that don't care,deserve to get it, unfortunately others have to deal with this stupidity. With all this STUPIDITY, no wonder it's spreading.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
I think Ebola is mutating, and becoming even more infectious. I also think that some of the Ebola cases were deliberatley let into countries, like the man that flew to Dallas. If a Pharmaceutical company wanted to get the newest strain of Ebola, from a live patient without having to go to Africa, and see how it is mutating and spreading. I know it sounds crazy but something just doesnt feel right about the case in Dallas, and now Spain. Scary that the nurse was on her vacation while spreading the Ebola virus, this has the potential to become such a rapidly spreading virus.

How many times do I have to tell you - the pharmas do not have the ability to work with Ebola? None of them have a level 4 bio-containment lab in this country. All of the level 4 labs are either university labs or government labs (sort of amounts to the same thing). Any work pharma does is contracted through the government, through their facilities or uni facitlities which amounts to the same thing.

Go look up the list of level 4 labs in this country and you will see for yourself.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

That's to protect you if you get coughed or sneezed on while in close proximity or say the patient spits on you or pees on you or in some way shape or form squirts body fluids in your direction while you are in close proximity.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

At USAMRIID they would never handle Ebola without a separate air supply. Even when they went in to "nuke" the Reston monkey house,they all had air tanks on and pressurized suits. So that tells you the Army does believe its air borne and won't play with it. Even then they were fearful of handling all that dead monkey meat.

That's standard protocol for any level 4 biohazard organism.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
They may not have them (which I actually don't know if we can verify either way), but their good buddies in the government/military do.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Goodluck Ebola-chan!
brb praying at her shrine right now

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have just come back from Paris……..

Having travelled on the Metro / underground extensively makes me think that we are 'Lucky' so far……..

Ebola is transmitted via bodily fluids - aka blood, semen, saliva and SWEAT….!

On any underground…..how many 'contact points' are there….doors, grab handles, other surfaces, etc etc……….

How Warm is it in the subway……… I was becoming paranoid at the slightest cough….

IMO..it's just a matter of time folks….

PDUK

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That's to protect you if you get coughed or sneezed on while in close proximity or say the patient spits on you or pees on you or in some way shape or form squirts body fluids in your direction while you are in close proximity.

It is transmitted by SWEAT…………… no need for a pissing contest there..

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Holy smokes! I'm freaking. So not cool!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The RT article says a 44-year-old woman dubbed the "Spanish Ebola nurse" (sheesh) who helped to treat two patients with Ebola (a Spanish missionary and a priest who were in West Africa) contracted the disease. That's the kind of cases that involve who is at risk the most for direct contact, which is mentioned by both research in the Journal of Infectious Disease as well as by the CDC. It's not unusual, and there's no reason to suspect an airborne disease from this kind of evidence.

Don't gloss over this in the same article: "...staff at the hospital said waste from the rooms of both patients had been carried out in the same elevator used by all personnel. The hospital was also reportedly not evacuated when the second patient, García Viejo, was taken in to receive treatment."

And this: "Union workers also accused the government of providing hospital staff with inadequate protective clothing."

--DEFINITELY NOT sufficient evidence of a mutation or airborne strain of Ebola.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleDog UK

originally posted by: ketsuko

It is transmitted by SWEAT…………… no need for a pissing contest there..

Not quite. If a hospital staff person was not wearing a glove for some reason and brushed their bare hand against a patient with Ebola, the person does not now have 100% likelihood of getting the disease. You can still wash your hands! The question is a matter of everyday logistics in the hospital: Are they understaffed and have no time for something like washing hands?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join