It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North, South Korea navy boats exchange fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
North and South Korea exchanged fire today, after a North Korean patrol boat allegedly violated the maritime border and opened fire on a South Korean vessel. South Korea returned fire.

No damage has been reported.

I'm not sure if it's the best thing for the North to be doing, considering they had just made a breakthrough in terms of negotiations. But such actions are frequent on the maritime border of North and South Korea.

North and South Korean naval patrol boats have briefly exchanged fire near their disputed maritime border, according to the South's defence ministry, which said the North's vessel had violated the boundary.

The incident took place around 9:50am (00:50 GMT) on Tuesday near the South Korean border island of Yeonpyeong, when the North Korean patrol boat crossed into the South's water, a ministry spokesman told AFP news agency.

"Our side fired back when the North Korean patrol boat opened fire," he said. "There was no damage."

www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
They were probably just firing into the air. Warning shots.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Yeah, i'm fairly sure they were just warning shots...it happens often, so it is mostly unsurprising. I'm not sure why North Korea would do such a thing only after meeting the south though.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
a reply to: skunkape23

Yeah, i'm fairly sure they were just warning shots...it happens often, so it is mostly unsurprising. I'm not sure why North Korea would do such a thing only after meeting the south though.

Maybe to say, "Hey, we're ready to talk but don't perceive us as begging." Then again, maybe someone doesn't like the possibilities of those talks.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Maybe it was one of the Kim's trying to escape the continent?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Of course we only have one side of the story.

Perhaps SK wanted to send a message and started it all.

We will never know.

Perhaps the boat skippers were both idiots. Most likely option.

I trust SK incident reports as much as I do NK reports.

P

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Totally. I don't trust either side.

I just read another article stating that South Korea fired first...when in the above article, they claimed otherwise.

The defence ministry said the South's patrol boat had initially fired a warning shot after the North Korean vessel penetrated half a nautical mile inside the South's territorial waters.

Instead of retreating immediately, the North patrol boat opened fire, so "our side fired back," a ministry spokesman said, adding there was "no damage" sustained by the South Korean vessel.

Although the incident went beyond warning shots, the spokesman indicated that neither side had made a concerted effort to hit the other.[e/ex]

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I just wonder what the CIA had to do with it.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

maybe they were celebration shots....if you know what i mean

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

I'm not sure if it's the best thing for the North to be doing, considering they had just made a breakthrough in terms of negotiations. But such actions are frequent on the maritime border of North and South Korea.

l

Negotiations with the US on one side, isn't worth the paper it is written on ... so, if N.Korea was, or had any "empirical" delusions of any kind, apart from the idea of keeping it's national identity and kultural history. Then they SHOULD attack, actually they should have attacked decades ago.

So, "what's best for them" is something that should be voiced out with some care of sanity.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I recon this is a direct result of the dear leader being suspiciously absent.

the US are testing now to see just whats going on and how far they're willing to go under the leadership of a dear lady

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Sounds much more likely!!!

Maybe Kim is sick of all the stories about him being killed or overthrown coming from South of the border as if to say "get real...
I'm still making moves"!

new topics

top topics

join