It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artsy Fartsy People and TWD fans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Hey everyone! So, I want to make my garage door look like this for the rest of the month of October:

But the logistics of how to actually make it work aren't coming to me. I am willing to NOT use my garage door for the whole month IF I can make it look awesome enough.

And, obviously I can't just spray paint my garage door (I rent). It all needs to be removable and won't cause any permanent damage.

So, clever people, how can I do this?

(And also, I'm on a budget, so I can't just go get some kind of huge thing printed up to hang over the door!)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

Does spray paint stick to saran wrap?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ArmyOfNobunaga

I think spray paint melts away plastic or something...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Wasn't that from 28 Days Later?
Either way, it's an awesome idea. What's your budget?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Crayola makes a washable paint. It may not hold up to rain very well.
www.crayola.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Use a water-based paint. Balsa wood and adhesive for the barred door.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You could spray paint a heavy linen sheet from a thrift store. Use thumbtacks or small brads that won't leave much of a mark to affix it.
As for the door handles and 2 x4 (or length of found pipe or rebar?) It might be trickier. A picture of the door would help, does it have a handle high enough up to place the "barricade" for any realistic effect?

Or just do the sheet thing and leave a "bloody" handprint and smear or two...

edit on 6-10-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

They make peelable paint now for car rim's and accessories. Try auto parts store.
Seriously, you spray it on and it peels off like a sticker. You use it so you can customize and then change back later.

Never tried it though, I would test it first.
edit on 10/6/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Oh! Water based paint, see I knew you guys could figure it out!

Beezer- I adore your latest avatar!

Owlbear- my max budget for this project is $20. There is no door handle that will cooperate, but I was thinking that I could make something that looks like door handles and paint them silver (maybe roll up tubes of cardboard or something? And then secure those to the door with some of those Command hook things.... ? And I have a piece of lightweight pallet wood, don't know if that would hold or not...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Great ideas on the spray painted tubes...I was going to mention Command strips, but they have always peeled the paint off of my walls.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
What does your garage door look like now? How much do you have to do to change it?

I would suggest sidewalk chalk or charcoal over water based paint. When it drys water based paint is difficult to get off.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

It's called plasti-dip. There are a lot of guys doing their entire cars with the stuff. I'm thinking about doing my wheels this winter to keep them nice.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I don't know how much money you want to spend, but a few years ago I saw an adv where you could buy a variety of images that you fastened (somehow) to your garage door that would knock the socks off of people. One was of a expensive sports car sitting within a terrific-looking garage. Another was of a fighter plane with its nose seemingly sticking out. There were several varieties all intended to shock and amuse (when maybe the real interior was so very typical and dreary.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Some good suggestions already.

I'd worry about a neighbor or someone passing by and thinking it's real.

Oh to go back to the days when Halloween was fun and not an excuse for overzealous busybodies to look important

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
What about a big 7mm clear plastic painters drop cloth stretched and held on with tacks/small nails? They're like $2 at just about any hardware store. The plasti-dip idea is pretty good too. I use that stuff on EVERYTHING you can get it as dip or in a spray can. I've never had any issues removing it either way.

edit on 10 6 2014 by MDpvc because: Some times I suck at spelling. ...sometimes

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Red food coloring + flour paste/corn starch = good smearable fake blood.

However, the coloring might stain, but should be removable with either hydrogen peroxide or a bleach solution. Test an area.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Fake blood. You need it. They have it at Wal-Mart. You need a couple bloody handprints. Maybe make it look like a zombie had it's brains shot out(spray). Better test a little spot and make sure it washes off easy. Awesome idea!!

TWD is the only show that me, me wife and kids watch together. We pop popcorn and all that. It's the only thing on TV that we can enjoy together. ....5 days..... woo hoo

new topics

top topics

join