It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Games Dieing out or not.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I dont know if Im gust behind new pc games or watt, but it really looks if the pc game is starting to get extinct or die out.

For some time know I dont here of any new games really, always here of playstation games.

Watt are some of youre thoughts on this are pc games dieing out or are it gust my imagination.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It is very true that Console games seem to be ruling the world of gaming, but pc games are far from extinct. Many of the console games can be found on the pc platform as well. This should be obvious when you realize that consoles are just highly specialized computers. A lot of the cutting edge gaming is done on a pc and you can still find lots of new development for pc games. I would say that there's much more on the pc platform than the console platform.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by dbates]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Consoles nowadays are behind the curve in technology. My PC being 3 years old still out performs any console out there. Far from extinct...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I hav PS2 and a high end PC. The graphics and gameplay of FPS's on a console cant come close to my beast PC

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The government (or whoever) wont allow videogames to die. They rely on them to desensitize children to violence.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
I hav PS2 and a high end PC. The graphics and gameplay of FPS's on a console cant come close to my beast PC

I agree!! That will always be the case too because TV screens cant come close to the res that pc monitors display, that alone is a factor when comparing picture clarity.

I have & always will be a PC gamer first, consoles are cool but you can get so much more out of PC's.

Viva la PC!!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It really looks like they are going to become extinct.*sigh* I'll miss them.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voidmaster
It really looks like they are going to become extinct.*sigh* I'll miss them.

I think you'll be the only one to miss them...Extinct!??

Alrighty, then. I guess everyone should just give up with pc games right now...Forget the fact that pc's on average go up in processor speed like 4 times a year and games are being released daily with plans of future games?

Care to divulge what makes you think PC games are becoming extinct?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by vaswegpg
I dont know if Im gust behind new pc games or watt, but it really looks if the pc game is starting to get extinct or die out.

For some time know I dont here of any new games really, always here of playstation games.

Watt are some of youre thoughts on this are pc games dieing out or are it gust my imagination.

I do not know if they will be done away with. One thing I hate is the lack of FP shooters. Just my own thoughts on that, you see I hate playing online with hackers, that spoils all my game play fun. I would rather go one on one with AI. I also do not want to keep paying to play a game as some IP's are now charging you to play online. Sorry but 49 59 bucks is enough to pay let alone so much a month. Darn I could see my retirement fund go down big time and would not want that.

I enjoyed Far Cry that was a great Game. Call of Duty Expansion United Offense disappointed me. The Original was far better.

I was blown away by the original Medal of Honor Allied assault so I bought two or three of the expansion packs only to be disappointed in them.

I have yet to play Medal of Honor Pacific assault expect to get that one for Christmas from my brother in law or I will just go out and buy it.

Just bought GTA Vice City and the game play leaves much to be desired so I will pass on the latest GTA San Andreas or whatever they call it.

I have given some thought as to why we see fewer pc games these days and this is just my opinion, but I think it is because so many PC's have so many different configurations, that makes game development extremely hard. When you develop for a game console they are fixed and easier to develop that is why I think you see more of them. You cannot say the same for computers, each and everyone of them has so many different programs on them some using the same items and they always do not work as they should although the game developers try to make them compantible. At times I am sure that is why some games are announced only later to be cancelled simply because they will not work on all PC's.

OK now you got my

Cheers

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
PC are not dying out.

PC games are the poor mans entertainment. They cost much less than other systems games.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
PC games dying out? WTF?! Have u not heard of MMORPGs and how they've ruined the lifes of millions of persons because they are just TOO DAMN GREAT and ADDICTIVE?

I don't think we'll see those on a console soon, at least not until consoles come with a keyboard

Originally posted by Bubbles
PC games are the poor mans entertainment. They cost much less than other systems games.

Hummm... HELLO!

Dunno if the games cost less than consoles games, but I KNOW that PCs cost way much more than any console currently on the market. So, I gotta ask, how can it be the "poor mans entertainment" ?

[edit on 10-12-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Im sorry PC games dying out? Are you people retarded? There seems to be a lot of people respoding to this thread who don't know jack sh!t about video games to begin with. The PC Games market is far from death, as a matter of fact its stronger than ever. I have the XBOX, PS2, GAMECUBE, and a High end kick ass GAMING PC and let me tell you that besides only a handful of games, console games have been complete and utter sh!t this year.

Here's just a sampling of the Awesome PC GAMES released in 2004:
1) World of Warcraft
2) Everquest 2
3) Far Cry
4) DOOM 3
5) Half Life 2
6) Prince of Persia: A Warrior Within
7) The Sims 2
8) Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
9) Star Wars Galaxies Expansion: Jump to Lightspeed
10) Max Payne 2
11) Unreal Tournament 2004

And that's just off the top of my head. PC's are better, faster, and kick console's ass so many times over its not even funny. If it wasn't for GTA San Andreas, and Metal Gear Solid 3 my consoles wouldn't have gotten any use the past six months. Consoles are for kids. Real gamers play PC games.

[edit on 11-12-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well, they died out for me! Since I don't feel like pay for more ram or a better video card. Screw that. I'll only have to buy even more a year down the road.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
SW: Battlefront
Rome: TW
Civ4
EE2
HL2

Plenty of good PC games coming out or already here. I'd hardly say they're dying out.

EDIT: Whoops, someone beat me to it.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Shadowtrooper90]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
PC Gaming is not dying. Console Gaming is dying as consoles are just broken screwed up computers.(ie "Specialized"). Pretty soon PC's of unparralleled power and graphical potential will break the 500 $ barrier, but this cannot happen until Flat Screen technology comes down by quite alot. Right now for a 1,000 bucks I can make a computer that is approx. 15 times more powerfull then the Xbox at roughly 8 times the cost. The cost of computers is coming down, while consoles is pretty much staying the same when they first come out. Plus you cannot upgrade Consoles like you can PCs. That is the major handicap IMO.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Consoles and PCs are taking different portions of the market, and different genres.
e.g. The best racing games out there are arguably on console, and much more fun to play. Steering with a mouse or binary keys on a 17 - 19" screen just doesn't do it for me baby. And I don't care how pretty the trees are, it's all about realism of driving, not scenery. On a console you get a screen as big as you can afford, analog controls and even steering wheel and pedals if you want it. Consoles are also better for button-mashing fight games.

PCs are awesome for strategy and RPG games. They have better graphic processing ability and resolution for pretty battles and spell-effects/explosions, and the level of control, detail and information in the actual game is far superior. Try getting to info quickly on a seven-layer options scrren with a PS2 controller...
Admittedly, console have been trying to cross-over with keyboards and mouses, but the game support to take advantage of these just isn't there as far as I can see.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Wow, lots of misinformed people out there. PC totally rules over console. Console is only good for sports and platformers. I can't even play a FPS on console, it just doesn't come close to the control offered by mouse and keyboard. Though I dont play many racing games, you can buy pedals and a steering wheel and all that stuff for PC. Not to mention superior multiplayer, I was playing 64 person Tribes 2 when consoles were dreaming of 16 player Halo. Show me a game for any console that can even be compared to Rome TW. Don't get me wrong, I have a GC and love Zelda, Metroid, MGS, RE but PC is simply better.

Now if you think PC isn't getting new games, just look at PC Gamer's top ten list for 2005.

Act of War
Auto Assualt
Battlefield 2
Black & White 2
Brothers in Arms
Civilization 4
Elder Scrolls 4 (screenshots will make you drool)
F.E.A.R.
Freedom Force 2
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Plus many others

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I think eventually everything will be on a super computer. My boyfriend already is able to hook up his consoles on his computer screen. Everything is already starting to come out in the CD/CDROM/DVD style disk, it is only a matter of time before we can hook up controllers to our computers and play on the computer screen. Even better, they have already come out with projectors that can show the screen on a huge white sheet, or on a TV monitor.

It is all coming together.

---pineapple

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Hmmm, this is true. Seems that consoles are becoming more andmore PC-like, and PCs are becoming more and more console-like. TVs can surf the web and check your stock proces. PCs canhave better sound capabilities than stand-alone stereos. We're one step away from the artificially-intelligent, voice-activated, supra-all-in-one entertainment center that Bill Gates has wet dreams about. With Google planning to scan the contents of the great libraries of the world, soon you won't ever have to leave your computer for anything.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogueX
Wow, lots of misinformed people out there. PC totally rules over console. Console is only good for sports and platformers. I can't even play a FPS on console, it just doesn't come close to the control offered by mouse and keyboard. Though I dont play many racing games, you can buy pedals and a steering wheel and all that stuff for PC. Not to mention superior multiplayer, I was playing 64 person Tribes 2 when consoles were dreaming of 16 player Halo. Show me a game for any console that can even be compared to Rome TW. Don't get me wrong, I have a GC and love Zelda, Metroid, MGS, RE but PC is simply better.

Now if you think PC isn't getting new games, just look at PC Gamer's top ten list for 2005.

Act of War
Auto Assualt
Battlefield 2
Black & White 2
Brothers in Arms
Civilization 4
Elder Scrolls 4 (screenshots will make you drool)
F.E.A.R.
Freedom Force 2
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Plus many others

Several things.
1. Exactly when is Civ4 coming out?
2. Shouldn't EE2 be on that list?
3. I think SW: Jedi Outcast works well on my GCN.
4. I think PC and consoles are good. Each have their own unique capabilities, so neither will die out.
5. We're not so different, you and I. Rome: TW, GCN, FPS...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join