It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As many as 6,000 people are thought to be held as slaves in the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Think slavery was a thing of days gone by well think again

Held for years by cruel masters in conditions compared to 'a concentration camp', one victim worked gruelling 16-hour days in abject terror.

The man, now 40 years old, was lured to a campsite with the promise of food, lodging and £80 pay for every day's work.

But his would-be saviour, 54-year-old Tommy Connors, soon proved himself a brutish slave-driver, who refused to give him a fair wage for his forced labour.

He even went as far as threatening his captives with murder should his captives flee.

Though the victim cannot be named for legal reasons, his case is not unique - there are an estimated 6,000 other slaves held in the UK today in equally dire conditions.

The man, one of 24 victims held on a filthy campsite in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire - one for 15 years - had his head shaved, was crammed into a tiny caravan and forbidden from even using the toilet.

They were told: 'Conditions were squalid and at times they were starving. [One slaver] said if he used the toilets in their caravan she would break his arms and legs.'

Sex slavery is the most frequent fate for slaves, but domestic servitude, factory work, agriculture and manual labour are also common.

A quarter of all slavery victims are children, many of whom are also preyed on sexually.

www.dailymail.co.uk... FINALLY-sees-captors-brought-justice.html

I actually know a old bloke who works 60 hours a week for £ 70 pounds plus a free room and the idiot is happy to do it even when we pointed out to him he would get more money doing nothing , he is still happy to work 6.5 days per week

edit on 6/10/2014 by douglas5 because: bad link

www.dailymail.co.uk... sorry folks bad link ???
edit on 6/10/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

This is just another of those things where people just stick their heads in the sand and pretend it will go away. Well... it wont go away.

Kallisti

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

It seems this is on the rise as it is common to hear about foreign people being exploited by ruthless gang masters in the farming / fishing industries here .

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Slavery nowadays is still alive and well, people just don't know about it. White slavery, mainly.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Emma3
Slavery nowadays is still alive and well, people just don't know about it. White slavery, mainly.

It is more common than we believe with people with mental health problems and sex slavery all around and nobody seems to notice or care very much

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I believe it goes on for a lot of reasons... and not just the reasons most people think. Just the fact that it is kept under wraps so well should be enough to realize that something is going on... maybe its just me.

Kallisti

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I'd say it's not so much that people who have mental health problems are seen as the ideal victims for slavery, rather many people have mental problems because they have been victims of slavery since a very young age.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

I believe it goes on for a lot of reasons... and not just the reasons most people think. Just the fact that it is kept under wraps so well should be enough to realize that something is going on... maybe its just me.

Kallisti

Years ago i worked at a Pakistani shop doing interior work for the owner , the woman who worked behind the till from 6 am to 9 pm was his cousin he told me

She had a weird spiral in her hand that i thought was something religious but i think it was a ring on a cooker burn now i think on it after watching a tv programme on the area he was from and how cheap you could buy children as slaves

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Emma3

This is not the first such story that has come to light lately of Gipsy families using people as slaves even taking them abroad to work

sad sad world

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Unfortunately the days of slavery are not over...

While in my local hospital emergency room I noticed this sign:

This is in California not the UK but it goes to show it's happening everywhere. Sad...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

With the wages they pay in the uk slavery seems to be legal in some occupations . job hunters are getting sent to major big firms to work for nothing more than their benefits and it is legal .

One woman took the government to court over it won only for them to stick their finger up at the ruling from the European court

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Slavery ...

Excuse me sir, but I call this bollox. Load of hogwash ... and unlikely to be true.

Although it is not uncommon, that young girls are being held against their will in sex slavery ... it "usually" starts with them willing, and the desire to escape growing as a mental state. Although real cases do exist, they are rare ... very rare, while at the same time, a lot of "Opra" victims, grow like mushrooms.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
We have even had an ad campaign to highlight it.

I hope this helps folk.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

Slavery ...

Excuse me sir, but I call this bollox. Load of hogwash ... and unlikely to be true.

Although it is not uncommon, that young girls are being held against their will in sex slavery ... it "usually" starts with them willing, and the desire to escape growing as a mental state. Although real cases do exist, they are rare ... very rare, while at the same time, a lot of "Opra" victims, grow like mushrooms.

They are tricked into leaving home by female and male gang masters who to some very poor and desperate people appear almost god like with flash cars and loads of bling and are able to run rings round people who are not wordly wise , just get on the plane and a new life awaits you in wonder land .

Wonder land for a female means beatings and lots of rape so the story goes no passport or liberty and unable to talk the local dialect for help , and usually the help they seek is part of the problem getting freebies while on the job or do you you believe that everyone in life is incorruptible .

If you are lucky you will work the land 15+ hrs a day 7 days a week for a pittance , share a 3 bedroom house with 40 other people and live on scraps for food , all for that better life they seek and to better themselves .

i can only assume when you call boxxxx on this that you live in a ideal world somewhere Trueman show sort of place and do not read the world news to see what a wicked and evil place it can be

keep wearing that rose tinted specs sir because the day you remove them you will see the true horror of what is in front of you and it is not a pretty site

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
WELL seems Britain is way down the line again

According to the study, the first-ever country-by-country survey of its kind, Israel has 7,700 to 8,500 slaves.

In absolute numbers, India led the list with up to 14.7 million slaves, followed by China and Pakistan. Mauritania, with 3.8 million inhabitants and over 150,000 slaves, had the highest prevalence of slavery.

www.timesofisrael.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
new info

13,000 working as slaves in UK
Government launches strategy to end slavery as number of victims found to be up to four times higher than thought

www.theguardian.com...

top topics

join