It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

saw another steampunk today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: davethebear

Love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!!

I was captivated for 5 minutes there, what an amazing song.

Thanks for posting, im off to find more

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

I love the steampunk look! You can tell that someone put a lot of thought and time in to their outfit, they often have moveable parts incorporated somehow and thats pretty rad.

Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy. Most SP don't dress to the degree they do at conventions or parties.

I would rather be surrounded by steampunks than someone wearing super revealing clothing or someone that has their pants around their knees, underwear sticking out and having to walk all weird so their pants don't fall down.
edit on 6-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: autocorrect I hate you

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I feel the same way but to a larger extent. I don't put too much thought into my appearance. My view is that you're either beautiful/attractive or you aren't and no amount of tattoos, body modifications/piercings, flashy outfits/hairstyles will change that.

I chuckle at the people who have obviously spent a lot of time/money on their desired 'look' and that's about it. They're usually cool enough people and I'm never outright critical of them. Just get a nice laugh inside my head.
edit on 6-10-2014 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Go ahead and laugh, SP may not be for you but I love everything about it.

I'm with you. I'm fascinated by it. I don't dress up or anything, but if I had it, I'd probably wear it. Some of that stuff is amazing IMO.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I can understanding dressing up like this for conventions and whatnot, but I do not understand wearing costumes everyday, like out in public. I suppose that I could not fault a person if they just really liked the stuff, and were ONLY wearing it for that reason, but I have a feeling that some of these people just want to draw attention to themselves and have people looking at them. I think when it is done for reasons of that nature then it is vanity. But of course most people are vain in some manner, and perhaps I shouldn't criticize this alone, but it just seems like they are making it obvious, and in a way that is not socially acceptable. Most people accept vanity in the form of makeup, fashion, etc., but I just don't know where the line should be drawn. As a society we have a lot of culturally acceptable practices that could be considered faults if viewed from a moral or ethical point of view.

And to a certain extent many people wear "costumes" on regular, non-halloween, days. But again, it is culturally acceptable. So there are many things to be considered. But I agree with you that if you want to laugh, then laugh. People who dress outrageously should be prepared for as much, and should be emotionally secure enough to not be bothered by it. If they are not, then they should not "put themselves out there" like that, which is essentially what they are doing. This is what anyone is doing when they go against the social grain. But I also think that there is a difference in unique clothing and what that guy is wearing in the picture. Most clothing is stylized, yet functional. Having metal and all that junk on your clothes is in now way functional, unless one is hoping to protect themselves against being attacked by wolves or something like that. Seeing as how he has what appears to be a weapon, this must be the explanation.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Yuuma

Great video.
I see you got every detail exactly correct with the hair and jacket

He must be a favourite singer of yours

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I know a few peeps in steampunk and see some influence in the Ghibli movies.

I myself am more into chanbara/jedaigeki...i plan on portraying an OC of mine, a shrine maiden possessed by a dark fox spirit at a con next year. Thouh, i do have combined some elements of steampunk and space opera into my background.

I just don't have the community around me to be supportive.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I have had people show me that song before. While the ascetics are clearly SP, the style of music it's self doesn't say SP to me. Most of the music they are calling SP really doesn't feel SP'ish to me at all. The sound just doesn't fit the genre to me.
Just my humble opinion.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!!

I was captivated for 5 minutes there, what an amazing song.

Thanks for posting, im off to find more

So glad you enjoyed the Steam Powered Giraffe....Just in case you are interested I recently bought their albums called Album number One and The Two Cent Show, they are both beautifully written and some great harmonies and vocals....enjoy...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm

I have had people show me that song before. While the ascetics are clearly SP, the style of music it's self doesn't say SP to me. Most of the music they are calling SP really doesn't feel SP'ish to me at all. The sound just doesn't fit the genre to me.
Just my humble opinion.

If you get the albums and listen to the lyrics you will understand what it is they are trying to say...the band members are basically steam punk kind of robots in a Victorian era......if nothing else they are great song writers, singers with sensational harmonic skills........

<< 1   >>

join