It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola distracts while enterovirus D68 spreads and gets scarier

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
With all the attention being paid to ebola, enterovirus D68 is quietly spreading throughout the country.

New Jersey boy went to bed fine, didn't wake up due to enterovirus D68

HAMILTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. — Eli — a sweet, active, blonde-haired preschooler — had gone to sleep feeling fine, perhaps dreaming of playing with his sisters or having a fun day at school.

He didn’t make it through the night.

This was a 4-yr old boy with no signs of being sick at all. According to the town's health officer

“He was asymptomatic and fine, and the next morning he had passed,” Plunkett told reporters. “So the onset was very rapid, very sudden. And that’s clearly the big difference (between enterovirus D68 and other enterovirus strains).”

No symptoms, no warning, no way to know for sure when/where he contracted it -- and cases of it are spreading across the country fast right now.

Just last week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or state public health laboratories had confirmed 277 cases of enterovirus D68. That figure has skyrocketed in recent days, to 538 confirmed cases in 43 states and the District of Columbia as of Friday.

Yes, enterovirus is very common. However, there are approx. 100 strains of it and D68 is one of the most dangerous. Could this be behind those mystery neurological cases that hit Colorado, Boston, and Michigan?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

I have two young boys and it has raised some concern. This virus has been around a while and i wonder how many children die from the flu each year. I'm not sure how many have died from this over the years...but it's horrible for those families who have lost a child to this illness or any other onr. Suprised that they are not pushing a vacine..

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

It's just a different strain of the flu. Which kills thousands of people every year. The media is just playing it up for ratings and page views.

It's also been around since 1968.

Neither new nor scary.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Funny, I had that story up in another window. Apparently they are monitoring another youth for the same thing:

Second Hamilton pre-schooler being monitored for enterovirus

Superintendent James Parla told parents attending a meeting on Sunday night that they are scrubbing down the entire school and making sure students throughly wash their hands according to CBS New York. But parents continue to be concerned about how the district was handling the threat and what they perceive as a lack of communication from the school.

Read More: 2nd Hamilton pre-schooler being monitored for Enterovirus | nj1015.com...

edit on 6-10-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I have been warning people.. this is the virus to watch. It went from cold, to paralyzing, to killing people quickly.

ANND it's spread way more easily. It is mutating and becoming dangerous.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I saw this in a few webpages talking about this:

What CNN and other media outlets are not reporting, however, is that this outbreak is occurring among vaccinated children.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

It's just a different strain of the flu. Which kills thousands of people every year. The media is just playing it up for ratings and page views.

Neither new nor scary.

IT IS NOT. IT IS NOT A DIFFERENT STRAIN OF THE FLU.

It is enterovirus, not influenza. It is more closely related to polio than the flu.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Tedgoat

Yeah, because it's not a flu! There is no vaccine.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Neither new nor scary.

This is definitely worse than "the flu". It's spreading much faster and is causing hospitals to be flooded in several states. And it's not even flu season yet.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

Although there is no known vaccine for the virus, and the scope which it will reach is also unknown, those that have become infected are following a common theme. They have all been vaccinated with the MMR vaccines, influenza vaccines, and polio vaccines. Of course, many children in the United States have been vaccinated, and most are required to be vaccinated in order to enter school. However, it is interesting to note that the illness is not occurring, yet, in children that have not been vaccinated.

Mysterious EV-D68

This is what I mean

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Neither new nor scary.

I beg to differ on the nothing new & scary, as well as "strain of the flu." The flu does not result in paralysis for one thing. Also, the flu presents symptoms at a rate of intensity that at least allow time for efforts to mitigate them. The little boy went to bed without obvious symptoms, and died in the night. That's a darn rapid onset-to-death scenario.

In my world, that is new, scary, and not like the flu.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

IT IS NOT. IT IS NOT A DIFFERENT STRAIN OF THE FLU. It is enterovirus, not influenza. It is more closely related to polio than the flu.

^^ This.... right there.^^ Correct and important.
The virus that causes Polio is an enterovirus. And this EV-D68 Enterovirus has been causing non-polio paralysis in cases in the Midwestern US.
People that did not live through the pre-Salk vaccine years don't realize how devastating polio could be. If they were dealing with it now, they would be saying that we shouldn't worry because 90-95% of polio cases are asymptomatic.... quite true.... and just fine if you are not one of the .1 to .5 % of the infected that ends up paralyzed.
Here is a photo of the closest neighbor that my family had when I was growing up... next door neighbor, but 'next door' was a 1/4 mile away.

He died in 1977, when I was 15 years old. He worked the sideshow circuit as a young man in order to support his family. He was one of the unlucky 0.1 - 0.5 % that was paralyzed by polio.

edit on b000000312014-10-06T10:17:19-05:0010America/ChicagoMon, 06 Oct 2014 10:17:19 -05001000000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The enterovirus D68 scares the stuff'n out of me. I'm MUCH more concerned about this then ebola getting loose in the USA. When flu season hits, this enterovirus D68 will run crazy through the sick and overcrowded schools. It's a mothers nightmare.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Tedgoat

I'm sorry, but I cannot take seriously the medical claims of a website whose Science & Tech sections has this as its highlighted articles:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The scare campain going wild again...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
Agreed.

My cousin up near KC said that at one point last month, at least half the kids in the schools, where she is, were out sick with it.

We have had notes sent home where I live stating we don't have it yet, but to expect it and to please not send your kids to school sick. Sure hope parents can follow that last part. I used to drive a school bus and was unnerved at how many parents did not want to stay home with sick kids. Even if their kid had been throwing up they sent them to school.

What scares me is not just this virus, but how long have we heard the professionals explaining how they worry about two bad bugs coming together and creating a superbug? D68+Ebola = nightmare scenario.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: mrsdudara

So a mysterious underreported disease related to polio causes death and paralysis.

Remind anyone of Gates' work in India?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Neither new nor scary.

No it's not just the flu. It's actually related to polio.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Isn't there a fair possibility that this virus has been brought into the United States? Please consider:

Enteroviruses, such as EV-D68, are related to the common cold virus and can spread from person to person through coughing and sneezing, by close contact with infected persons, or by touching a contaminated surface.

An epidemiological link across the clusters reported in several US States has not yet been established, and it cannot be ruled out that the virus is circulating independently in several locations.

Initial contacts with several EU/EEA countries have not indicated a growing number of acute respiratory infections or an increased number of hospital admissions.

hygimia69.blogspot.com...

So, the virus can be spread easily, it may have started in several different places at once, and Europe isn't seeing anything unusual.

Referring to borders between states, ABC News Chief Health and Medical Editor Dr. Richard Besser said a mouthful when he pointed out that “Viruses don't tend to respect borders.”

Then Besser said, and this is a winner for sure, that “This particular Enterovirus EV-D68 is very rare and they have no idea why it showed up this year.”

www.americanthinker.com...

And from a CDC fact sheet of August 1, coming interestingly enough, from "Emergency.cdc.gov":

CDC believes the unaccompanied children arriving from Central America pose little risk of spreading infectious diseases to the general public. While this is generally the case, certain people providing direct care to these vulnerable children should take proper precautions.

The majority of health issues being reported from DHS at the border stations are associated with the difficult journey or the crowded, unsanitary, and environmental conditions the children endured before they arrived. The illnesses associated with this population in these conditions include scabies, lice, rash illness, respiratory infections, and diarrhea.

emergency.cdc.gov...

While I don't see this as a conspiracy, is there a better explanation than unaccompanied minors crossing the border to explain what we now know?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join