It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do straight lines really exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Much of physics and our perception of reality necessitates the existence of straight lines - we assume they exist. But what I started to wonder is if straight lines are real or are they part of an illusion of reality? They always depict the Universe spinning in a kind of circular pattern and if that is true and in that paradigm of existence do truly straight lines really exist?
edit on 6-10-2014 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Space/time is curved so straight lines are also.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
Much of physica and our perception of reality necessitates the existence of straight lines - we assume they exist. But what I started to wonder is if straight lines are real or are they part of an illusion of reality? They always depict the Universe spinning in a kind of circular pattern and if that is true and in that paradigm of existence do truly straight lines really exist?

Straight lines are an abstract concept useful in mathematical reasoning. Whether or not they are "real" depends upon whether or not you are a Platonist.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

What is a straight curved line?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView

originally posted by: Hefficide

What is a straight curved line?

A geodesic is the shortest route between two points on a curved surface. Loosely speaking a straight line is a geodesic on an non-curved plane.
edit on 6-10-2014 by DJW001 because: Edit to correct typo.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Mathematical straigth lines Do exists but...

Physical not even lines do exist. Think about it a line is just an abstaction of an idea. Infinite points arranged in space. This only works if space is at an infinite small level the same... which according to modern physics it isnt.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
So if we were to theoretically make a truly straight line, it would look crooked as a politician?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I would have to say straight lines do exist, I see them all over the place here with the desk, walls, piles of boxes and other bits and pieces just sitting around. Maybe i am wrong as we live in some kind of weird bent space, but I cannot perceive it. Maybe it is a question of measurement and accuracy as you look to define the small warp of gravity on spacetime. With the Gravity probe B experiment it a very small effect to measure.
edit on 6-10-2014 by kwakakev because: added comma

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Interesting thought.

Straight lines might be an illusion.... it might be a curved line to something microscopic... because, nothing goes straight forever, all will curve in the space.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

A strait line is a concept that works when observed at the right scale. If you take a ruler and draw a straight line, it will look straight, but if you magnify it it is not straight at all.

I suggest you look at it from a far. Looks a lot more........straight.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

A straight line is strictly a mathematical concept, mathematics is an ideal system of geometry, the world we understand is chaotic, and not "perfect" however, mathematics is all we have in order to comprehend this vast cosmos in a simple, and clarified sense.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
As a moon hoax theorist , I believe a moving object tends to move along a straight line path indefinitely ,In the absence of net forces.

edit on 7-10-2014 by Misinformation because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misinformation
As a moon hoax theorist , I believe a moving object tends to move along a straight line path indefinitely ,In the absence of net forces.

Provided they are being pushed, of course. Otherwise, they stop.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The term "straight line" is redundant. All lines are straight.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
The term "straight line" is redundant. All lines are straight.

The word "line" has several meanings. "Straight line" narrows the interpretation down to a queue that does not bend, the set up for a joke (as opposed to "punch line"), a marking on a paper, canvas or other medium that does not curve....
edit on 7-10-2014 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

OR you could just say a mathematical line if you want to go down the semantics path.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The reason I bring up this subject is my fascination for deep space human travel - currently impossible. So I begin to wonder when we say such and such star is so many light years away and would require so many years traveling at the speed of light [currently impossible] to reach - What if there was another math, another geometry, that could see the universe differently, that could measure distance differently and show the straight line of sight to the stars is not the only one and is not even the most accurate? And the shortest distance then becomes other than a straight line which we all know is probably no more than symbolic anyway.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Straight lines exist on the same plane as everything else here exists,.... matter, ideas, emotions...... thoughts.

Through perception.

top topics

join