It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The World Is Warming Faster Than We Thought"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This article is from the same place as the one in the OP link, New Scientist magazine. Be good to put in the OP where the article is from. I found it really interesting apparently the rate of warming has slowed and no one really knows why, there are a number of theories.

Is it time to stop worrying about global warming?

They have been emboldened by scientists' acknowledgment that temperatures on the planet's surface have risen less sharply than expected in recent years.

www.newscientist.com...

The full article I read was a lot longer and more detailed.

No more pause: Warming will be non-stop from now on

Enjoy the pause in global warming while it lasts, because it's probably the last one we will get this century. Once temperatures start rising again, it looks like they will keep going up without a break for the rest of the century, unless we cut our greenhouse gas emissions.

The slowdown in global warming since 1997 seems to be driven by unusually powerful winds over the Pacific Ocean, which are burying heat in the water. But even if that happens again, or a volcanic eruption spews cooling particles into the air, we are unlikely to see a similar hiatus, according to two independent studies.

www.newscientist.com...

I've been following this issue for a long time and I think it is more complicated and no one really knows what is going to happen. Clearly our reliance on fossil fuels won't change anytime soon and maybe the use of geoengineering will end up being our only realistic response to the greenhouse issue?

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-10-2014 by JimTSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

If global warming is so out of control, then why does it feel like winter started 2 months early in my area? I wish the globe was warming, but it isnt. The climate is destabilizing, but it is not the result of carbon emitions, nor does it result in unanimous warming.

You want to know whats happening? Wars/rumors of wars, famine, pestilence, earthquakes....the world is on a countdown sequence to the end.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Compared to climate models....yeah the ones they lied about and fabricated and got caught doing it? I'll believe that when my sht turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Every bit of climate data taken before weather satellites were put into orbit (1979...and I'd say even to hold off longer until they were "perfected" with better and more sensitive computers and data-collection capabilities) should be disregarded as wholly insufficient in both collection method and accuracy. There was no consistency with any of it, and to use it in any sort of scientific way is selling science short.

My point is that accurate climate data is so infantile right now that using it in any sort of "scientific" way to make a determination as to a causal effect of climate change is asinine.

Anyone who buys into the AGW horse pucky has one of the lowest threshholds for what accuracy and data is in the scientific community, and doesn't deserve to bring up the word science, let alone pretend to understand it.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I agree, the issue isn't necessarily warming or cooling, but weather change geographicaly caused by changes in the landscape. Deforestation I believe is the largest reason. Secondly is the effects of pavement and urban thermal radiation. These cause the weather to change in its patterns, but weather or not its cooling or warming is anyone's guess. I could see regions doing both, one area getting warmer and another cooler. But what the end result will be I don't think anyone can predict. Saying the entire world is doing one specific thing is wrong I think though. I believe we will continue to see changes as that's what the earth does. Weather is always different. Some years its blizzards and others its mild. Its just what the earth does. My greatest concern though is that this global warming debate will cause some or many to believe all is well on our planet. This is not the case. We do have serious issues with many regions but this is not weather related, but caused by non management of precious resources, like the Amazon or the temperate forests of the NW portion of N America. The effects of losing forests is visible and real. The forests create rain in many areas which is why I believe we are seeing so much drought currently. I hope when people come to the conclusion that global warming isn't as we have been told, they don't think its ok to continue to destroy the natural areas. I think this is the real and important issue we should be focusing on as a whole.
edit on 6-10-2014 by panaque because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think a lot of people confuse "the science is settled", which was never said and "the debate is over", which has been said and is true aside from a handful out of thousands most of whom are paid by think tanks funded by the fossil fuel industry.

The debate (whether humans are influencing the climate by burning fossil fuels and adding greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere) is over, we are.

The science (how the added warming is going to affect the climate) is not settled and is an active field of science, this latest information presented in the OP as an example. There's rough ideas on how things will play out, and some concrete ideas, like ocean level rise etc... that there's high confidence will happen but how exactly it will play out is not so certain.

Science is not saying and never has said temperatures will be uniform as this takes place, never said melting will be uniform or that weather will be uniform... drought, flooding, warm, cold will continue to oscillate for some time to come just those somewhat predictable oscillations are becoming harder to predict. The ocean temperatures and chemical make-up are changing, wind patterns are changing. This is why many scientists use the terms climate change, climate disruption and climate chaos.

The tropics have expanded by a few degrees latitude. The jet stream is weakening, allowing the still sub-zero temperatures of the Arctic to spill down parts of North America (this is why some regions are below normal temperatures), sea ice is increasing because the ice is falling off the land, the wind around the Antarctic has changed which is freezing meltwater sitting on top of sea water. And this is just a tiny portion of the chaos beginning to take place all over the planet.

The planet will ultimately be fine, global warming isn't necessarily bad for Earth, just for the animals currently living on it.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
NASA Study Finds Earth's Ocean Abyss Has Not Warmed

The cold waters of Earth's deep ocean have not warmed measurably since 2005, according to a new NASA study, leaving unsolved the mystery of why global warming appears to have slowed in recent years.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
This just popped up on one of my daily news sources. I hope this is incorrect, however, I fear that it could very well be accurate.

It's worse than we thought. Scientists may have hugely underestimated the extent of global warming because temperature readings from southern hemisphere seas were inaccurate.

Comparisons of direct measurements with satellite data and climate models suggest that the oceans of the southern hemisphere have been sucking up more than twice as much of the heat trapped by our excess greenhouse gases than previously calculated. This means we may have underestimated the extent to which our world has been warming.

Paul Durack from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California in the US and colleagues have compared direct and inferred sea temperature measurements with the results of climate models. While these three types of measurements together suggest that our estimates of northern hemisphere ocean warming are about right, a different story emerged for down south.

The team estimate that the extent of warming in the southern hemisphere oceans since 1970 could be more than twice what has been inferred from the limited direct measurements we have for this region. This means that together, all the world's oceans are absorbing between 24 and 58 per cent more energy than has previously been estimated by direct in-situ measurements.

Link

Consider this - if you do not believe in global warming, or perhaps do not agree as to what may be causing it - if this find of miscalculation is correct, and we have confirmed sources that the planet is warming (regardless of what is causing it) and in fact 24%-58% more than what we initially thought, this could be have horrible implications.

Here allow me to rephrase this so that it's more accurate....

"Quick, people are starting to see through our B.S., let's say that it's 3-10 times worse than what we thought and demand we take immediate action before more people wise up..."

Jaden

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

WRONG... when IPCC admits in several different instances the following: 1) we deleted the raw data and only have the contrived data post application of our formulas that make it seem much worse than the raw data suggests, 2) we were incorrect in our measurements two years ago, but you should believe us that NOW we have it right and it's much worse than we previously thought even though NONE of our predictions as to what was going to happen have come to fruition 3) We got caught sending emails to each other discussing the obfuscation of the real data to support our theories...

When you can look at these things and then in the same breath say that dissenting scientists are liars because they are funded by the Koch bros, without ANYTHING besides that to support that they aren't incorrectly analyzing data, then you have become a shill for the AGW left and have no credibility for rational analysis of the reality of AGW.

Or Climate change since they seem to not be able to make up their mind whether global warming is actually occurring or not.

Jaden

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

You got your info from the denial blogosphere (Watts probably)... the raw data is with NOAA and nothing's been contrived.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

edit on 6-10-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

originally posted by: pikestaff
So that's why in Chicago to-day the cold sets a new record? and its snowing? (although this report is in the news blog 'Rantburg'

but that's because of global warming, everybody knows that in order to get colder it's got to get warmer first. and that is subject to what hemisphere your in, or that's what they would have you to believe.

please since 1970 they have miscalculated the sea temp in the southern hemisphere. never mind the countless expeditions from God knows how many countries and institutions that have gone down to study every thing imaginable down there. and everybody has been measuring the temperature wrong all this time.

hey i got this bridge....

Amen brother, nothing to add to your post but a head nod.
Well stated.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBandit795
NASA Study Finds Earth's Ocean Abyss Has Not Warmed

The cold waters of Earth's deep ocean have not warmed measurably since 2005, according to a new NASA study, leaving unsolved the mystery of why global warming appears to have slowed in recent years.

But if you're quoting NASA, they also say that there is a 97% Scientific consensus on Man Made Global Warming, of which they believe in. Maybe the earth isn't warming, maybe it's not man made and maybe there isn't any consensus, but NASA says there is.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBandit795

Since 2005.

Meanwhile, a second paper published today in the same journal tries to shed light on warming in another poorly sampled part of the ocean: the deep. The vast majority of existing ocean temperature records are collected by buoys and cover the sea’s top 2000 meters. The average depth of the ocean, however, is 4300 meters, with some basins extending down to 6000 meters. Using sea-level and buoy data, a team led by William Llovel, an oceanographer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, attempted to estimate warming below 2000 meters. Their results suggest that the deep ocean has barely warmed since 2005—but includes big error bars that leave plenty of uncertainty.

That uncertainty illustrates why better measurements of the ocean are required, Johnson says. And help may be coming: This year, researchers began testing new drifting research buoys, dubbed Deep Argo, that are capable of descending to 6000 meters to take temperatures and other measurements.

Science Magazine

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

You got your info from the denial blogosphere (Watts probably)... the raw data is with NOAA and nothing's been contrived.

Then where's the raw data???? You're right, it was NOAA that said they no longer had the raw data. Of course it's contrived. They filtered it through formulas designed to change the results and won't give out the raw original data claiming they don't have it, how is that NOT contrived???

Jaden

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Raw Data. Now you can go back through all the papers and all the IPCC data and see that it is in fact the correct data. It was the University of East Anglia that deleted the raw data (the same data) from their data-bases, it has existed at NOAA all along. You've been made a fool of by whomever told you otherwise.
edit on 10/6/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Speaking as someone who covers the insurance and reinsurance industry, I can tell you one thing - they are convinced that it's happening and that the science is solid.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I live in Australia and there's plenty of evidence the climate is warming here. As well as simply observing that the winters are milder and shorter, while the summers are warmer and longer, I tend to pay attention to articles like the 2 below which examine the data in a scientific way. Both of these articles do not stand alone; there are plenty of other pieces reporting essentially the same news, and I for one find it extremely difficult to believe the 'PTB' could 'pull of such a scam'.

ecowatch.com...

Australian weather stations recording temperatures of 45°C or above in January 2013 Image: Squidman18559 via Wikimedia Commons

Scientists are fond of saying that it is difficult to pin the blame for any one climate event onto climate change. But they have just made an exception by reporting that many things that happened in Australia in 2013 bore the signature of man-made climate change.

In that one year, Australia recorded its hottest day ever, its hottest month in the history books, its hottest summer, its hottest spring, and its hottest year overall.

www.climatecentral.org...

Six of the 10 hottest summers in Australia have taken place since 2000, with just two occurring before 1990. That is about five times the expected rate without a warming climate, Trewin and Braganza wrote

edit on 6-10-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74
OOOOOhhh, you made a big link that you labeled raw data which gives NO evidence of being raw data at all, except you say it is...Hell, NOAA doesn't even claim it is.

How about instead of just pointing to the contrived data and saying that I am wrong, you actually show that any of the items listed in this article aren't true... Please don't just say they aren't actually provide some kinf of evidence that they aren't and try doing so while avoiding any ad hominem attacks on the source please, just show how what they say is wrong...

If you can do that, I seriously doubt it, then we can go from there.

www.naturalnews.com...#

Jaden
edit on 7-10-2014 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   

The scandal would have been if NOAA didn't change the data.
Live Science

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join