It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Shellshock virus creates global frenzy

page: 1

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 11:49 PM
((Mods: Did a search and was surprised to get no results))

Shellshock is causing a global frenzy. The security bug is affecting software used by millions of web servers across the world.

It affects devices from PCs and web cameras, to tablets and smartphones, and if you use that software, hackers can take complete control of your device and your personal information.

It’s a bug on a viral war path, and any hacker with a malicious agenda could unleash havoc.

Memeburn Senior Reporter Stuart Thomas says, "Shellshock is a vulnerability that exists in pretty much every computer that's currently connected to internet, not just PCs, that includes iPhone, tablets, laptops any devices connected to the internet or connected to a server - even web cameras - they also connected to servers.

"Every single one of those servers has a vulnerability, a program running on it called bash, the vulnerability had existed for 20 years but founded in the past week."

I was surprised that there wasn't already a thread about this virus. It's been going on for a couple days now. I can't believe that this vulnerability has existed for 20yrs. I think it is time we take a good look at the systems we have in place & make sure they aren't vulnerable. Heartbleed was also done by someone taking advantage of a vulnerable system.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:01 AM
a reply to: Sabiduria

There is :

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:02 AM

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:37 AM
a reply to: BornAgainAlien
The search function must not be working. I tried 3 different searches & got no results. Even typing in shellshock virus turned up no results

edit on 10 6 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:42 AM

It's ok, you meant well.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:50 AM

Strange you couldn't find it, it does appear in my search results...?

With so many new threads being made it happens, no biggie.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:53 AM

oh yea ..aka the bash bug , aka bashdoor
You can test yourself if you're vulnerable by issuing the follow command on the command prompt / terminal

env x='() [ :;]; echo vulnerable' bash -c "echo this is a test"

if you're vulnerable it returns vulnerable else it returns 'this is a test'

For ubuntu/android? older than 13.10 do

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bash

to fix it....

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:13 AM
There is no frenzy. There a narrow margin of infection ie vulnerable cgi implementation.
There is more worry to be had by vulnerable usb devices.

top topics