It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Rate Drops to 5.9%

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If you are over 40 yrs a woman and white you will not find a job. If you get hurt on the job workmans comp it a big joke. They will not help you. If you get sick with cancer ssi will not help you. If you get hurt on the job and then get cancer medicare will not help you. If you are hurt and sick without kids you don't get welfair, the only thing you get is food stamps and not enought to eat right when you are sick. There are no jobs for old and injured. There is no real goverment help for the old and injured. by old I mean the new old over 40. SSi is a lie , workmans comp is a lie, welfair is a lie, medicare is a lie. obama care is a lie.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yep. This is what is wrong with the US. Idiots like yourself make assumptions based on scanty evidence. Unless you are willing to hire me, I suggest you quit making assumptions based on nothing.

I've been rejected from hundreds of jobs and worked part time doing surf lessons and lifeguarding but nothing full time. Right now I haven't found any work for over a month.

I also lived off the grid on a sailboat for about 3 of those 5 years so I really had no bills I had to worry about.

Because of this employment gap, I can't find a job. It is extremely frustrating, especially for someone like me who actually is capable of using my brain.
edit on 6-10-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I need to be near the ocean. I am an aquatic kind of person. Moving to the middle of no where away from the ocean is not an option for my sanity(if its still there).

I also have a moral backbone and deeply care about the environment. I rather be homeless than working in the oil fields destroying the environment.

Also as someone pointed out, if one has no money then they can not simply relocate to where the jobs are it. No money means no capability of moving elsewhere.

This is something that many with a job(income), a car and a credit card they can swipe at will do not understand. When one has no money, no car, and no money/credit then there is not much they can do. It seems like for every $10 an hour job that opens up, there are 10 applicants.
edit on 6-10-2014 by jrod because: add

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I have a felony on my record and have lived in Florida recently, it seems crazy to me that you can't find a job in five years. I can find jobs they are all just crappy jobs.

You shouldn't call people idiots.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

I need to be near the ocean. I am an aquatic kind of person. Moving to the middle of no where away from the ocean is not an option for my sanity(if its still there).

I also have a moral backbone and deeply care about the environment. I rather be homeless than working in the oil fields destroying the environment.

Also as someone pointed out, if one has no money then they can not simply relocate to where the jobs are it. No money means no capability of moving elsewhere.

This is something that many with a job(income), a car and a credit card they can swipe at will do not understand. When one has no money, no car, and no money/credit then there is not much they can do. It seems like for every $10 an hour job that opens up, there are 10 applicants.

Nah your making excuses. I've moved with no money a few times in the past few years looking for better job prospects. You need money for a bus ticket, a good sleeping bag and working knowledge of shelters and food drives while actively looking for a job.

In fact in the past two years I've lived in Florida pennsylvania and California and I'm about to move again, with nothing. The only difference is this time I'm taking my work van and living out of it.

I wouldn't have replied to this post had you not called me an idiot.
edit on 10/6/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
I have a felony on my record and have lived in Florida recently, it seems crazy to me that you can't find a job in five years. I can find jobs they are all just crappy jobs.

This reply boils down to the heart of the matter. You have two people with a felony. One is trying to move forward and is willing to do what it takes (I saw your TWIC thread), and another has a huge employment gap. While I do not agree with a good portion of your economic stance, onequestion, I respect that you are trying to move your life and career in the right direction, you are certainly not an idiot.

As someone who hires people constantly (I have nearly 60 direct reports) I would have some serious issues hiring a candidate that had a half decade employment gap. And in the sake of full disclosure I am aware of two people that report to me that have felonies.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

That is likely because you knew someone who helped you get hired. I have no connections and horrible at social networking.

I also do not have a car or driver's license and this automatically disqualifies me from about 90% of the available jobs out there.

Ps.

I have a valid TWIC and no felonies. Just a DUI(which most now consider a felony)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

And you shouldn't make assumptions based on no evidence, it is an idiotic thing to do. When I wrote I haven't been employed for 5 years, I meant full-time. My last full time job was with the US Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician. I got a DUI in 2008, got busted down and gave up and got a General Discharge with Alcohol Rehab Failure slapped on my DD-214. Before the Navy I was employable, after the Navy not so much.

My experience on threads like this is someone like yourself will claim to have been in my shoes and all I have do is apply for jobs and go walk door to door to find work. Even in the real world I get the same BS. Everyone likes to talk about how easy it is, and likes to pretend they understand my struggles but they do not. I've been burned so many times in the work world that it hurts has forced me to build a wall that is tough to break down. I used to be one of the nicest people in the world, now I trust no one.

If it were that easy I would have a job!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

a reply to: jrod

First of all, let me apologize in advance here if I'm thinking of another poster, but...Haven't you done an EPIC amount of bitching about the lack of work available to those with felonies yourself due to your own record? And not being able to get ahead in life as you expected all around? If I'm remembering this correctly and that was indeed you, pot? Meet kettle.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yup, I can find jobs but the problem they are worthless dead end jobs. Someone saying they can't find a job seems rediculous to someone like me who can find plenty of work just not work that pays a living wage.

Now if we're talking meaningful employment or employment that actuallys pays the rent. The THATS an entirely different story.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Yup, I can find jobs but the problem they are worthless dead end jobs. Someone saying they can't find a job seems rediculous to someone like me who can find plenty of work just not work that pays a living wage.

Where did you live in Florida? You are aware that it's not a consistent market for jobs throughout the state, right? It doesn't matter what you think is ridiculous or not for number of opportunities. The "job layout" of the state needs to be taken into consideration first. Were you Orlando? Tampa? Miami? Jacksonville? That's about the only places you're going to find much down there. If someone's stuck in a county like Citrus, Flagler, there's little to no prospects for anyone. Remember to keep that in mind. Location is everything, especially if you want a shot at work in Florida.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I was in Palm beach and trust me I know the market I spent six months scrapping by down there and left.

I was homeless when I arrived worked my ass off to find some crappy work found a cheap place to sleep and made it work for six months. Saw the market and had 100's of people show up for crappy 8$ an hour jobs and decided to leave,

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I was in Palm beach and trust me I know the market I spent six months scrapping by down there and left.

I'm a FL native, trust me, I get how hard it was over there for you. It's like that & less financially pleasant elsewhere in the rest of the state. I lived in the Tampa Bay metro area, which was considered to be doing well by comparison. Not if you ask the every day folks trying to beat each other out to get hired for minimum wage bagging groceries or flipping burgers, though. You lived in a high COL area, if memory serves. That's not uncommon in the "better" spots, to have to deal with asinine rents and meager wages.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Saw the market and had 100's of people show up for crappy 8$ an hour jobs and decided to leave,

This right here is why we left. It wasn't getting any cheaper to live there, and the jobs weren't paying well enough to offset the expenses for rent & utilities. You saw what a LOT of people down there are faced with now. Now couple that with places only hiring part time at minimum wage, and also couple that with that many more people clamoring for other part time jobs at the same time to try to make something that resembled their former income. It really isn't that easy. One stroke of job luck for 6 months in PB isn't speaking for the rest of Floridians.
edit on 10/6/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamfox1
A lower number due to less workers. Lower due to less jobs and everyone knows by now the Unemployment rate is BS because it also means bad news.

I guess they take us for idiots.

The unemployment rate is 5.9%

And Gee with 100 million Ameircans who aren't working.

A Record 100 Million Americans Not Working

Here we have yet another instance of the people being told 2+2=5.

Fuzzy government accounting.
edit on 6-10-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Fuzzy government accounting.

Well, technically it is accurate but what you really want is the U6 rate which calculates labor participation. The U3 report, which these figures are from, is worthless.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

They must be using the new Common Core math to come up with these numbers.

It's like they just want the rest of us to keep believing that is rain we feel on our backs. Let's not forget we are about a month away from the elections too.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: neo96

They must be using the new Common Core math to come up with these numbers.

It's like they just want the rest of us to keep believing that is rain we feel on our backs. Let's not forget we are about a month away from the elections too.

It's no different than the inflation numbers which come from CPI. They claim low inflation but we all know the truth... food has gone up 22% just this year.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
It's no different than the inflation numbers which come from CPI. They claim low inflation but we all know the truth... food has gone up 22% just this year.

That is due to the weak dollar inflating the cost of fuel which in itself is the hidden tax we all pay. A stronger dollar would drive the cost of petroleum products down and help mitigate the rising costs of shipping goods. This will not happen until we stop quantitative easing and begin to raise marginal rates.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

damn...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join