It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola is Airborne - Facts In 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Well although this particular study shows that Ebola is in fact airborne, it was only transmitted via animals in a lab.

The study was done under controlled situations, so the results imo are eye opening, but I'll let ATS members be the judge and jury.

Scientific Reports 2, Article number: 811 doi:10.1038/srep00811
Received 25 April 2012 Accepted 28 September 2012 Published 15 November 2012

Transmission of Ebola virus from pigs to non-human primates

Ebola viruses (EBOV) cause often fatal hemorrhagic fever in several species of simian primates including human. While fruit bats are considered natural reservoir, involvement of other species in EBOV transmission is unclear. In 2009, Reston-EBOV was the first EBOV detected in swine with indicated transmission to humans. In-contact transmission of Zaire-EBOV (ZEBOV) between pigs was demonstrated experimentally. Here we show ZEBOV transmission from pigs to cynomolgus macaques without direct contact. Interestingly, transmission between macaques in similar housing conditions was never observed. Piglets inoculated oro-nasally with ZEBOV were transferred to the room housing macaques in an open inaccessible cage system. All macaques became infected. Infectious virus was detected in oro-nasal swabs of piglets, and in blood, swabs, and tissues of macaques. This is the first report of experimental interspecies virus transmission, with the macaques also used as a human surrogate. Our finding may influence prevention and control measures during EBOV outbreaks.

Lastly in the article.

The present study provides evidence that infected pigs can efficiently transmit ZEBOV to NHPs in conditions resembling farm setting. Our findings support the hypothesis that airborne transmission may contribute to ZEBOV spread, specifically from pigs to primates, and may need to be considered in assessing transmission from animals to humans in general. The present experimental findings would explain REBOV seropositivity of pig farmers in Philippines2, 3 that were not involved in slaughtering or had no known contact with contaminated pig tissues. The results of this study also raise a possibility that wild or domestic pigs may be a natural (non-reservoir) host for EBOV participating in the EBOV transmission to other species in sub-Saharan Africa.

edit on 5-10-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Ebola in humans is far more active in our liver and digestive tract, making our excrement (and blood) the most virus-heavy fluids. In Pigs, it affects the lungs in a bigger way, making their phlegm and saliva more virus-laden. This enhances their ability to basically cough or sneeze the virus at one another, relative to humans.

That said, the same method of transfer is possible for humans. Just with relatively longer odds.

So, in the sense that virus-laden fluids can be mechanically flung through the air by the body, it is airborne.

But in the sense of the thing floating around on its own in the air, such as the flu virus can do, it's not that type of airborne because of its lack of a protective shell, or capsid that allows it to go around for a while without being in a cell.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBlackTiger

Thank you for explaining this, since I am newly educating myself on this particular virus, as I'm sure many other ATS member are it is empowering to know the facts and myths associated with it.

Any way you can link these facts up for us?

Thanks again,

RT

edit on 5-10-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Ebola can be transferred by bats today but what if it's fleas, ticks and mosquitoes tomorrow? To me that's way scarier than being airborne.

It could put a whole new spin on "sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite."

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Indeed it's possible in humans and can't or shouldn't be ruled out.
The longer it's not being contained and passing from host to host, the more risk of each mutation eventually becoming airborne

In fact the UN Chief spoke about it this week:
The Ebola 'Nightmare Scenario' Is Closer To Becoming Reality
www.businessinsider.com...

The UN's Ebola chief Anthony Branbury has warned that the Ebola virus could mutate and go airborne, which would make the epidemic much harder to control.

“The longer it moves around in human hosts in the virulent melting pot that is West Africa, the more chances increase that it could mutate,” Branbury told the Telegraph.

“It is a nightmare scenario [that it could become airborne] and unlikely, but it can’t be ruled out.” The comments were made before the first patient was found to have Ebola on US soil. The Ebola virus is spread through body fluids, which is why isolating patients is the most effective way to contain it. The fear that Ebola could change its method of transmission and spread through the air has been raised by infectious disease experts before. However, researchers are careful to note that while physically possible, such a mutation is highly unlikely. Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 6-10-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
As a side note. The Canadian health Agency had it down as being airborne , but removed it from their website, I had posted this in an earlier thread. Not sure why it was in there in the first place , but it was and I quoted from it.

Additionally there was one patient who got it and was not near any patients with it, I don't remember who this was now, but a case that was in the news. There was speculation it might have been airborne and that's how he got it,
edit on 6-10-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Flagged by Elliot in March, Posted April 2, 2014: Ebola Airborne? Spreads From Pigs to Monkeys Without Contact

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Not got time to research this at the moment so i have not checked the links sources and such.
But will put it up in case others have time.
US ARMY Says EBOLA = FLU in Airborne Stability, Needs Winter Weather To Go Airborne

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Ebola is not airborne?

From the babbling of the CDC speaker, now I am worried. They can't even speak without hesitation in there delivery.

A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has tested positive for Ebola

www.cnn.com...

Where is my double face palm pic?

edit on 12-10-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

join