It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany considers sending soldiers to eastern Ukraine: source

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Germany considers sending soldiers to eastern Ukraine: source

BERLIN (Reuters) - Berlin is considering deploying soldiers to monitor the ceasefire negotiated by the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) between separatists and the army in eastern Ukraine, a German government source said on Saturday.
Related Stories

The source said on Saturday that the German armed forces were prepared to provide soldiers and equipment if political decisions were made to the effect that there should be an OSCE mission involving German troops.

The number of soldiers that would be sent is, however, not yet foreseeable and there is no clear operational concept as yet because that would depend on the security situation in Ukraine and conditions set by the OSCE, the source said.

The newspaper said the mission was the result of a Franco-German fact-finding mission of the border region in mid-September which found that the ceasefire could only be monitored if armed soldiers protected the monitoring staff.

An interesting development.

If the OSCE authorizes it and Ukraine accepts I am curious how russia is going to respond. Even though Russia claims they want a peaceful settlement and also claim they have no troops in Ukraine, the presence of foreign troops along the border could very well throw a wrench in the gears for Putin.

It would be difficult for Putin to continue making these claims if armed 3rd party troops were present.

Either or I support the French-German initiative - both, in sending troops should it be authorized as well as sending drones to help monitor areas for the OSCE.

The question is how would Russia and Pro Russian rebels respond. I would say if Russia / Pro Russian rebels are serious then they should welcome to developments by France and Germany.

The drone portion is already underway. Germany is also sending a relief supply convoy of over 100 vehicles to East Ukraine to assist with the winter coming.
edit on 5-10-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I think this is provocative and inflammatory considering the history of the area, and the already charged political enmities that currently exist in the country......
Shear buffoonery on the Germans part or deliberate provocation for an escalation.......just my take EX....

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Hot Damn. Like the south the GERMANS ARE RISING AGAIN!!!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
So Germany is considering sending drones to help out with OSCE peace mission as requested by OSCE ?

And for protection of the drone crew 50 extra soldiers (which will be away from the "peace line") are going to be send also.

Hardly any news with peace missions being done all over the world all the time.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The historical context of a German troop movement in Ukraine is not at all lost on me, and I very much doubt that anti-EU, Russian backed rebels would be any less likely to be aware of that element to the possible involvement of German troops, under a German rather than a UN flag, moving through what they consider to be their territory.

In fact, they might see it as deliberate provocation, which would be deeply unhelpful to the situation, as I am sure one can appreciate. Now, we may be conscious that Germany is not the sewer of Nazi scum that it was back in the days of dogfights and forced marches, death camps and extermination of entire towns all over Europe in the forties. But I have no doubt that the pro-Russian groups in the area will waste no time in ignoring the difference between the historical context and the current political context, in which any potential German troop movement will be undertaken.

Dicey, for all the wrong reasons, but dicey none the less.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Hmmm Germany squaring up to Russia over a third nation's unrest. 1914-2014. History truly looks cyclical.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

It certainly is. It seems as if it only takes a hundred years for a bad idea to start looking good again, even under vastly different circumstances!

Human individuals are clever. Human societies however, are moronic.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It doesn`t even take that long.

In The Netherlands we have a saying "A donkey doesn`t bump himself twice at the same rock," but actual most humans keep hitting themselves over and over again. They will fall over the same political lies every few years and thinking it will be different this time or even have forgotten most of it when there are new elections.
edit on 6-10-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Heh...when I was a toddler, my mother tells me that when ever I would bash my self against a door frame, or the skirting boards of our house, I would do it again, very deliberately, as if to make sure that I understood what had happened the first time, and remember not to do it again!

link   
The significance is that it was a "Franco-German" investigation. Putin has been emboldened by the American president's reticence to intervene militarily. Despite the assumption that the United States intervened militarily in North Africa and Syria, practically no American military assets have been deployed until recently. France has intervened militarily in North Africa. The Germans are reminding Putin that Ukraine is Europe's near abroad, and unlike the United States, Europe is prepared to use force if necessary.

link   

I remember very well the Indian peace keeping mission in Sri Lanka which ended up quite badly for India.

400 troops of France and Germany can hardly achieve much on the ground. These troops are coming with UAVs and light weapons. However it is very likely they will get caught in the cross-fire and then there will be pressure on these countries to join the war.

One thing is very clear to me is that any European direct participation in Ukraine civil war is a clear path to WWIII. This will become NATO vs Russia fight. And it will become nuclear in no time.

OSCE can watch and sanctions on Russia can increase but it will not change the path set in Ukraine.

The problem is European miscalculation which is strong-arm Putin. Putin is not listening.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
The significance is that it was a "Franco-German" investigation. Putin has been emboldened by the American president's reticence to intervene militarily. Despite the assumption that the United States intervened militarily in North Africa and Syria, practically no American military assets have been deployed until recently. France has intervened militarily in North Africa. The Germans are reminding Putin that Ukraine is Europe's near abroad, and unlike the United States, Europe is prepared to use force if necessary.

I doubt that Putin is "emboldened" due to anything Obama did or did not do.

The news item talks about OSCE which is not a military force.

Sure they can observe. I doubt it changes much on the ground.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: GargIndia

I doubt that Putin is "emboldened" due to anything Obama did or did not do.

Do you really think Putin would have made his play for Crimea if Obama had followed through with his "red line" talk about Syria?

The news item talks about OSCE which is not a military force.

Correct, but they are citizens of NATO countries. If they get killed, their countries can justify retaliating, and if NATO members and Russia engage, the rest of the alliance swings into action.

Sure they can observe. I doubt it changes much on the ground.

The point to the exercise is to change things in Putin's head.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
so my take is ,,the eu and obama caused a coup de tat,and now to safeguard the peace fire they recommend sending germany a eu member itself with an obvious biased to eu.

does this sound like a fair decision of democracy ?????
should this not be a force not from the eu?????????????

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

From the way I know german Poloticians the last word is yet to be spoken in this matter.

The majority of Germany is against involvement of our country, and as far as I'm concerned Germany is just fullfilling it's "obligations"(we all know Merkel is a pushover) as an ally.

Although Merkel does condemn Putin's actions, she has no intention to go to war against him. Not even in favor of the USA.
edit on 6/10/2014 by Pakd-on-mystery because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
so my take is ,,the eu and obama caused a coup de tat,and now to safeguard the peace fire they recommend sending germany a eu member itself with an obvious biased to eu.

does this sound like a fair decision of democracy ?????
should this not be a force not from the eu?????????????

Wrong on each point, including the spelling of the phrase coup d' état.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pakd-on-mystery

From the way I know german Poloticians the last word is yet to be spoken in this matter.

The majority of Germany is against involvement of our country, and as far as I'm concerned Germany is just fullfilling it's "obligations"(we all know Merkel is a pushover) as an ally.

Although Merkel does condemn Putin's actions, she has no intention to go to war against him. Not even in favor of the USA.

Again, the object is not to start a war, it is to remind Putin that a war is a genuine possibility.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I think America should be putting boots on the ground before any other nation as they precipitated the conflict in Ukraine. America used the EU to promote its sphere of influence (The old cold war) against Russia.

As an EU citizen I can state that I do not wan Ukraine in the EU thank you very much. The EU does not need more cheap labour and if the EU wants to reform it can start by chucking out the rest of the cheap labour it imported 10 years ago from eastern Europe.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Always being provocative even after they had send their own German minster officials to Kiev while during the protests its clear whom was behind the protests.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

The one whom started was America's gov. Everyone knows it.

-America wanted to attack Russia what better of doing through proxy means and blame game?
edit on 6-10-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join