It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for help with TWIC card

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hey all,

I applied for a TWIC card and was turned down due to a five year old felony. I have an opportunity to join a union and I can't get in without the card.

It's an offshore job in New Jersey through a family member. It's basically a life changing opportunity but I just can't do it.

Does anyone have legal advice or experience with this?

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Contact your local prosecutors office, or go online to your state webpage and check into Expungement..

Once the charge is expunged, it can no longer be held against you..

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I'm going to have to do that. Thanks Semper.

I have a drunk in public and an assault one is over 7 years and the assault over 5 how likely is expungement?
edit on 10/5/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

If you did time for felony assault, its highly unlikely that you'll be able to get it expunged. But if you just served probation and paid all of your fines then you should be able to depending on what state you were convicted in.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75
Felony six months county jail. I got released from probation early everything is paid.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Then sorry but I doubt you'll be able to get it expunged. The whole TWIC thing is ridiculous. 20 years ago I worked as a cook on the the biggest oil rigs in the world and we didn't have to have TWIC cards. Half of my crew were convicted felons, but now that we're living in the post-911 era your record has to be squeaky clean.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

It's really lame especially considering the fact that there's 20 million felons.

Countries in Europe have laws against this type of discrimination if my options continue to run out like they are because I can't get a job at mcdonalds which would be pointless anyway I might have to consider trying to leave the country

I could have moved on with my life and start a family by now.
edit on 10/5/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The TWIC dept send you a letter saying what are the disqualifying offenses. The TWIC site says the following
Parts A and B provide a comprehensive list of disqualifying offenses and the waiver policies for each.

Part A – Permanent Disqualifying Offenses
Conviction for one of the following felonies is disqualifying regardless of when it occurred, and the applicant is not eligible for a waiver.
Espionage or conspiracy to commit espionage.
Sedition, or conspiracy to commit sedition.
Treason, or conspiracy to commit treason.
A federal crime of terrorism as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2332b(g), or comparable State law, or conspiracy to commit such crime.

Conviction for one of the following felonies is disqualifying regardless of when it occurred, and the applicant may apply for a waiver.
A crime involving a transportation security incident. A transportation security incident is a security incident resulting in a significant loss of life, environmental damage, transportation system disruption, or economic disruption in a particular area, as defined in 46 U.S.C. 70101. The term "economic disruption" does not include a work stoppage or other employee-related action not related to terrorism and resulting from an employer-employee dispute.
Improper transportation of a hazardous material under 49 U.S.C. 5124, or a State law that is comparable.
Unlawful possession, use, sale, distribution, manufacture, purchase, receipt, transfer, shipping, transporting, import, export, storage of, or dealing in an explosive or explosive device. An explosive or explosive device includes an explosive or explosive material as defined in 18 U.S.C. 232(5), 841(c) through 841(f), and 844(j); and a destructive device, as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4) and 26 U.S.C. 5845(f).
Murder.
Making any threat, or maliciously conveying false information knowing the same to be false, concerning the deliverance, placement, or detonation of an explosive or other lethal device in or against a place of public use, a state or government facility, a public transportations system, or an infrastructure facility.
Violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, 18 U.S.C. 1961, et seq., or a comparable State law, where one of the predicate acts found by a jury or admitted by the defendant, consists of one of the crimes listed in Column A.
Attempt to commit the crimes in Part A, items 1 - 4.
Conspiracy or attempt to commit the crimes in Part A, items 5 – 10.

Part B – Interim Disqualifying Offenses
Conviction for one of the following felonies is disqualifying if the applicant was convicted, pled guilty (including 'no contest'), or found not guilty by reason of insanity within 7 years of the date of the TWIC application; OR if the applicant was released from prison after conviction within 5 years of the date of the application. The applicant may apply for a waiver.
Unlawful possession, use, sale, manufacture, purchase, distribution, receipt, transfer, shipping, transporting, delivery, import, export of, or dealing in a firearm or other weapon. A firearm or other weapon includes, but is not limited to, firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) or 26 U.S.C. 5 845(a), or items contained on the U.S. Munitions Import List at 27 CFR 447.21.
Extortion.
Dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation, including identity fraud and money laundering where the money laundering is related to a crime described in Columns A or B. Welfare fraud and passing bad checks do not constitute dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation for purposes of this paragraph.
Bribery.
Smuggling.
Immigration violations.
Distribution of, possession with intent to distribute, or
importation of a controlled substance.
Arson.
Kidnapping or hostage taking.
Rape or aggravated sexual abuse.
Assault with intent to kill.
Robbery.
Fraudulent entry into a seaport as described in 18 U.S.C.
1036, or a comparable State law.
Violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt
Organizations Act, 18 U.S.C. 1961, et seq. , or a comparable State law, other than the violations listed in Part A, item 10
Conspiracy or attempt to commit felonies listed in Part B.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: chuckk

I read that but they disqualified my felony and it's not on the list.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I've seen an expungement for "Attempted Murder"

It has everything to do with length of time, current character and references..

Never hurts to try

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

I've seen an expungement for "Attempted Murder"

It has everything to do with length of time, current character and references..

Never hurts to try

I agree.

Might save up and consult with an attorney too.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

i actually thought you could get twic with a felony...depends on the type of felony though...there has to be a way around that

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Yeah I don't know was hoping someone with experience could chime in

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

That sadly is the price you pay for crime that they warn us about. It will follow you thru life and limit a lot of things in your future. Prisons and jails are filled with those that now wish they didn't commit the crimes and now want a break....it doesn't always work out like that at all.
When you got the convictions...what did you think would be your future? Sorry...but someone convicted of a crime. Intentional or not respectfully friend...this is what they tell us about following you around your whole life.
I do wish you well and good luck getting what you can get cleaned up.
Best
MS

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Something about your story stinks, It takes 3-6 weeks to get your twic approved but 2 weeks ago you claimed that you would be a supervisor of a great job but at the last minute lost it, then a few months back you had asked the fine members about working the fields and a couple of them offered to help but you never took their offer and here you are still looking for advise that you won't listen to anyway.

Just doesn't make any sense.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Stop trolling me.

The job fell through because the union got it now kind your business.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

If you want people to mind their business then you should not post things on a public forum.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone
My threads are about content within the threads.

Now stop trolling me. Your bitter.

new topics

top topics

join