It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Innocent until proven guilty... The great American myth...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is a scary trend we have here in America where we are quick to judge based on emotional responses rather then waiting for the facts to come out.

I think part of the problem here is a growing distrust in our judicial branch to do its job. With the corruption, DAs caseload and the fact that they are going for high %s for raises or to become a judge, the fact that most of us are starting to see through the drug war propaganda, the increase in police brutality all play rolls in this trend.

I've seen this happen with the Chris Dorner case, the Frein case, the War Machine case, Mike Brown, and the list goes on.

Now trust me I'm not supporting any of the actions of anyone but I'm also not supporting immediate emotional responses either. We need to take a critical thinking perspective culturally and step back and wait, ask questions and sport an open and honest legal process to insure the quality of way of life that we are quickly losing in the US.
edit on 10/5/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Guantanamo is a prime example of Guilty before proven Innocent...
But that's in Cuba so I guess it's not part of the American Nightmare!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I think the media needs to take some responsability here but until we put pressure on them through ratings, and fiancé then it's going to stay the status quo.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Yeah the media definitely fuel the fire when it comes to generalising certain people...
Look at a comparison between Trayvon Martin & Mike Brown...

Both were young men, maybe a little angry but young men worth helping, or at least understanding...
But the media spun both into demons who weren't citizens that died undeservingly...

# the media!
edit on 5-10-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

As some suspects how much evidence the court blocks. You would be amazed at what a court will block to say it is irrelevant to the case. Time and time again exculpatory evidence is pushed aside with some creative wording. I mean think..if you make an arrest you certaintly don't want to be told you were wrong...so they are in it to win it. Anything that can help you will be blocked to better improve their case.

Guilty until you get lucky by a jury is what it should say

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have encountered the judicial system here in Northern Mi. county twice. In both cases, one with myself, the judge denied the rights to statute of limitations to myself with regards to a permitted building. What I have observed, do not assume you have any rights within a court system, you do not. Up here it is so corrupt no one is brave enough to even complain, they will pursue you to your destruction. I left out the county for fear they will trace it to myself.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

- George Orwell, Animal Farm, 1945

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

You are always guilty unless you are a politician.

Then you are always innocent.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Gitmo was formed because of the lack of evidence against people the Bush administration labeled as terrorists. They had no faith in the courts that would have to provide a constitutional based trial. So they claimed national security and shipped them off to Cuba.

Now they can do this or even kill you without a trial or hearing.

We allowed them to do it to these people now they can do it to us.

However for the rich and poor there are two justice systems, justice is apparently dispensed based on income and social status.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I've seen this happen with the Chris Dorner case, the Frein case, the War Machine case, Mike Brown, and the list goes on.

A lot of it has to do with technology, information is spread much faster than it did in years past, there are also dozens of social media sites where information is spread at lighting speed. The Christy Mack pictures are a prime example.

Christy Mack posted images of the beating she allegedly sustained from War Machine to her social media accounts. I will be the first to admit that I have judged war machine guilty before being proven innocent. Seeing the face of a woman allegedly beaten by the hands of a professional fighter and his actions after the alleged assault caused me to draw the guilty conclusion. There is nothing she could have said or done that would make me think she earned or deserved to be beaten. If he didn't have anything to hide and didn't beat her up, why did he run? Innocent people usually don't run.

A suspects behavior before and after their alleged crimes can seal their fate in the "court of public opinion."

edit on 5-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I don't agree with hitting women. I think war machine is generally a pos.

But I have no idea the details of the case I just wanted to use an example.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I know all about it. My uncle is serving life in prison as we speak for something he didn't do, there was no evidence he did it, and there was plenty of evidence to show he couldn't have done it, yet the courts denied his ability to defend himself and bring his own witnesses and their testimonies.

He's awaiting the state supreme court's decision on whether or not the court erred... last year about this time he was close to coming home when they decided he should get an appeal. He should have been allowed to come home ASAP but the state AG put a stay and writ of supersedeas on it for weeks, then they decided on an excessive bail, which our family got together and came up with, and then the AG was astonished and actually told our lawyer "I didn't think you'd come up with that much money!", then they denied his release.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
I know all about it. My uncle is serving life in prison as we speak for something he didn't do, there was no evidence he did it, and there was plenty of evidence to show he couldn't have done it, yet the courts denied his ability to defend himself and bring his own witnesses and their testimonies.

He's awaiting the state supreme court's decision on whether or not the court erred... last year about this time he was close to coming home when they decided he should get an appeal. He should have been allowed to come home ASAP but the state AG put a stay and writ of supersedeas on it for weeks, then they decided on an excessive bail, which our family got together and came up with, and then the AG was astonished and actually told our lawyer "I didn't think you'd come up with that much money!", then they denied his release.

That's gross.

I know from personal experience our system is designed to keep people imprisoned, keep the DAs conviction percentages in the 90ss it looks good to the voting block and for when they become judges or private practice.

I've learned that they immediately drop charges and offer a decent plea bargain for most cases if you lawyer up. Otherwise they know they can't bake full advantage of you and bring the county money so they press as many charges as they can and scare people into plea bargains.

new topics

top topics

join