It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jesus NEVER existed': Writer finds no mention of Christ in 126 historical texts and says he was a

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

I "like" that story too. If true, then he wasn't Jesus Christ. I think "Jesus Christ" is a composite character of real and mythical people.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkJS

Which calender system are you talking about, Julian or Gregorian?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
To put this in a modern perspective, the Mormons think Joseph Smith is a good guy and a prophet. Everyone else knows different and that he was a scam artists. Now place Mormonism in the first century and it became the main religion, they would wipeout all bad things about Joseph Smith. The fact that man is still doing the same thing 2000 years later, no wonder things become larger than they really are. Even more recent is L.Ron Hubbard, scientologist make him out to be a great guy. Well all know different about that one too.

The cycle repeats itself but with less access to information 2000 years ago you can see how things can get blown out of proportion and exaggerated just by word of mouth. It doesn't help matters that Jesus was written about decades after his supposed death in the gospels or by Josephus who was born years later.

My point is mankind has not got out of this religious mind set in a long time in the effort to explain life. We live in a fish bowl and don't know much beyond our own earth. I will leave you with a star trek episode and something about cargo cults.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
We all do or most of us get in on petitions for discovery to governments...

I think we need to start a ATS online petition to open up the vatican library to annalists and/or historians for a week.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Also, why are there no commandments about taking care of the Earth and not plundering all its resources? Why didn't Jesus mention anything about that?

Because Rome needed a religion that would allow materialism rather than spirituality to take hold. This corrupt system which is still in place today would have never been possible without Christianity.

Christianity, along with most other religions, is symbolic astrology force fed as truth to the masses, in order to to crush any notion of true spirituality.

Its been going on for 2000 years maybe longer, but Babylon is about to fall my friends.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. Revelation14

Revelation 11 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

edit on 7-10-2014 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: celticdog

No "we" know Jesus (just as the spelling sounds) came to save life just as it was written about Him in an overwhelmingly accurate type way

John 3 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him Ephesians1
edit on 7-10-2014 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
well your going to meet Him . Bet that will be Real.http://cdn4.everyjoe.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

your quote from Ehrman:

I show in the book why this simply can’t be true. In part, because we have very little evidence, if it exists at all, that there were any dying and rising gods in the pagan world.

Ehrman is absolutely DEAD WRONG on this. The Dying and Rising God is at the center of almost every pagan mythologic system on the planet and from the beginning of history. Elaborations on the theme of Life coming from Death just as Spring follows Winter is universal.

The theme is termed, by Joseph Campbell, as the mono-myth because it is so similar across time and geographic location. There is not space here to explain the idea fully; Campbell's summary (found on Amazon: The Hero with a Thousand Faces) will have to suffice:

A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered ans a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man.

Campbell offers some simple examples: "Prometheus ascended to the heavens, stole fire from the gods, and descended. Jason sailed through the Clashing Rocks into a sea of marvels circumvented the dragon that guarded the Golden Fleece and returned.

Other examples: Ancient Egypt's version has Isis giving birth to Horus after piecing Osiris back together. Osiris is a virtual duplicate of the Babylonian Tammuz (or Sumerian Dumuzi). Tammuz was worshiped with a mourning ceremony and is mentioned in the Bible, in Ezekiel. Adonis is the Greek version of Tammuz, Dionysus is yet another.

Now Ehrman could be referring to the technical discussion among Mythicists about whether the term "dead and rising god" is useful as a category because many of the so called 'risen gods' were not, according to their mythological stories, actually gods when they 'died'. But Osirus was, Adonis was. The debate over whether Jesus was raged for hundreds of years and caused perhaps millions of deaths, yet it doesn't change the central meaning of the myth.

This technical argument does not detract from the central theme of the mythology: after winter comes spring, from death comes life, everything dies yet life continues. Ehrman's remark, speaking from his knowledge of the technical argument over how to classify the dead and rising HERO myths (Campbell refers to the central characters in the myths as the 'Hero' not necessarily a god) serve only to confuse his audience. Whether you classify the Tammuz myth (or Adonis or Dionysus or Osiris or Baal Hadaad) as a "dead and risen god" myth or not does not change the myth or its meaning or its relevance in the development of religious thought in first century.

I also argue that Jesus could not have been invented as a dying and rising god because the earliest Christians didn’t think he was God.

It is a reasonably correct statement to say the the earliest Christians didn't think Jesus was God - because the earliest Christians weren't Christians either - they were a Jews and Jews have only one God. Period.

The idea that Jesus is God, or an aspect of God, or however you want to specify his divineness (wars were fought over what that concept entailed) was superimposed on the person-hood of Jesus long after his death. Christianity split with Judaism only when Paul wanted to convert Gentiles and the Elders in Jerusalem insisted that they would have to be circumcised and obey Jewish dietary law - Paul didn't think he could sell that idea, so he started his own religion.

I encourage everyone to study Joseph Campbell's works, especially 4 books of "The Masks of God" and the "The Hero with a Thousand Faces". I guarantee you will learn something.

edit on 7/10/2014 by rnaa because: markup

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: undo

I "like" that story too. If true, then he wasn't Jesus Christ. I think "Jesus Christ" is a composite character of real and mythical people.

well actually, i think i have a video here you might find interesting. after you watch it, come back and read the rest of my comment. it'll make more sense.

if cleopatra was his mother, then she was the virgin mary. i researched that angle, and realized that cleopatra didn't commit suicide, rather, she faked her death. i have a thread here on ats about just that.

cleopatra didn't commit suicide
www.abovetopsecret.com...

why is this significant? well for several reasons, starting with him being heir to at least 2 of 3 of the thrones of world power - including egypt and israel, and possibly even rome, although octavian took first dibs since it couldn't be proven that jesus (esu / caesarian) was the son of julius caesar.

also, the concept of divine birth, always included the mother giving birth to a child of a god via some kind of artificial insemination (virgin birth or more specifically, virgin conception). this was the history of pharaohs, who were considered god men. the only debate worth mentioning on this subject is whether such god men were all simply "nephilim" (biblical human-angel hybrids) and if jesus himself, was not a hybrid, physically, but "spiritually, as his claim to fame was that he was the "son of adam". that in itself, is saying a mouthful as it appears to be better stated as a son of atum (long story) and atum was the god of creation.

the resultant debate is regarding the "son of" concept. how could he be the son of god and god at the same time? answer: in his case, it wasn't a reference to his flesh being divine but rather his "spirit", he was literally carting around, in a human body, the spirit of god (atum). this particular subject gets incredibly deep.

egads, the subject is so vast, it's no wonder people just opt out for the easiest answers.

edit on 8-10-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
This is really an interesting topic. I recommend reading a book called 'The Jesus Mysteries' by Tim Freke and Gandy. Really interesting and insightful

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Which calender system are you talking about, Julian or Gregorian?

Both. Both revolve around the birth of Jesus. One is more accurate - astronomically.

Astronomers use the Julian calendar for years before 1582, including this year 0, and the Gregorian calendar for years after 1582 as exemplified by Jacques Cassini (1740), Simon Newcomb (1898) and Fred Espenak (2007).
Wikipedia link

For reference, below are the two original suggestions I gave on page 15 of this thread:

originally posted by: MarkJS

--------------------------------------------------
Two points:
-The whole calendar system revolves One Person - Jesus. So every day that you live is in reference to Jesus' existence. You can't get more proof of a Jesus than that.

-Yet another point (as if the first is not enough) - Just ask Jesus if He existed/exists. Jesus, if He is God at all, will reply to let you know for certain. If you're troubled by the question and are genuinely seeking an answer, Jesus does not want you to doubt His existence or love for you.

That's it. Have fun.
--------------------------------------------------
So if you're -really- interested, just ask Jesus about His existence. It's ok, Jesus already knows how you feel about him. It's no secret. So then go ahead and ask.
edit on 8/10/2014 by MarkJS because: added my original post from pg. 15

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Writer finds no mention of Christ in 126 historical texts

That's because the devil worked the minds of those who wrote those historical texts, making sure they left out any reference to Jesus. I'm saying that because the church is said to have claimed the devil planted / created many myths very similar to the story of Jesus.

And then there's numerous books which speak of other Jesus like saviours, all of which pre-date Jesus.

For example "The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors" by Kersey Graves (free to read or download at Project Gutenberg) states:

For researches into oriental history reveal the remarkable fact that stories of incarnate Gods answering to and resembling the miraculous character of Jesus Christ have been prevalent in most if not all the principal religious heathen nations of antiquity; and the accounts and narrations of some of these deific incarnations bear such a striking resemblance to that of the Christian Savior--not only in their general features, but in some cases in the most minute details, from the legend of the immaculate conception to that of the crucifixion, and subsequent ascension into heaven--that one might almost be mistaken for the other.

text version: www.gutenberg.org...

clicking on the following epub version will initiate download of the book: www.gutenberg.org...

Or there's Mithra who from the article found HERE

The god is found as "Mitra" in the Indian Vedic religion, which is over 3,500 years old, by conservative estimates. Mithra has the following in common with the Jesus character:

° Mithra was born on December 25th of the virgin Anahita.
° The babe was wrapped in swaddling clothes, placed in a manger and attended by shepherds.
° He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.
° He had 12 companions or "disciples."
° He performed miracles.
° As the "great bull of the Sun," Mithra sacrificed himself for world peace.
° Mithra ascending to heaven in his solar cart, with sun symbolHe ascended to heaven.
° Mithra was viewed as the Good Shepherd, the "Way, the Truth and the Light," the Redeemer, the Savior, the Messiah.
° Mithra is omniscient, as he "hears all, sees all, knows all: none can deceive him."
° He was identified with both the Lion and the Lamb.
° His sacred day was Sunday, "the Lord's Day," hundreds of years before the appearance of Christ.
° His religion had a eucharist or "Lord's Supper."
° Mithra "sets his marks on the foreheads of his soldiers."
° Mithraism emphasized baptism

At the same site there's an ARTICLE in which it is asked and stated:

Did the American Founding Fathers study the case for Jesus Christ being a mythical figure? There is much evidence that Washington and Jefferson, among other famous and important figures of the day, were influenced by well-known French mythographers and "Jesus mythicists," such as Dupuis and Volney.

"The fable of Christ and his twelve apostles...is a parody of the sun and the twelve signs of the Zodiac, copied from the ancient religions of the Eastern world.... Every thing told of Christ has reference to the sun. His reported resurrection is at sunrise, and that on the first day of the week; that is, on the day anciently dedicated to the sun, and from thence called Sunday..."
~Thomas Paine, The Complete Religious and Theological Works of Thomas Paine (382)

"...the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."
~Thomas Jefferson, The Adams-Jefferson Letters (594)

There are numerous article at TRUTH BE KNOWN which speak to the premise that Jesus Christ was but a mere myth

An interesting book > "The Pagan Christ" by Tom Harpur

edit on 8-10-2014 by eNaR because: inserted bullets

edit on 8-10-2014 by eNaR because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2014 by eNaR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: all2human

The ills and terror of the Bible overshadow whatever good message it may or may not portrays.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha
Also, why are there no commandments about taking care of the Earth and not plundering all its resources? Why didn't Jesus mention anything about that?

Because Rome needed a religion that would allow materialism rather than spirituality to take hold. This corrupt system which is still in place today would have never been possible without Christianity.

Christianity, along with most other religions, is symbolic astrology force fed as truth to the masses, in order to to crush any notion of true spirituality.

Its been going on for 2000 years maybe longer, but Babylon is about to fall my friends.

Plundering the earth and using it's resources wasn't the reason for Christ mission on earth, plus, we all have the choice to do anything we want, and if humans are irresponsible enough to plunder the earth's resources, would a message telling us not to do that help?

And you are blaming the earths current system of material worship on Christianity? Christ taught the complete opposite.
He also didn't approve of things like astrology or divination, or sorcery.

Sound's like you're getting it all wrong on purpose, backwards, and upside down. Don't feel bad, because the entire planet is doing the same thing, everything is backwards these days.

People are now "reinventing Christ" to be whatever the hell you think it should mean, or what you want it to mean.

Then they go in different places and talk about it to get approval and then they sleep better at night.

The Mormon originator did the same thing. He reinvented Christ for his own usage, and built the Mormon church from it. Same with JW's.

When in doubt, just make it up.. Other's will applaud you, agree with you, and defend you in believing everything you want, except the truth.
The truth will get you harassed, kicked, and bruised.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

And you are blaming the earths current system of material worship on Christianity?

Jesus didn't teach Christianity. There is no institution that is more material than the Catholic Church, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Both revolve around the birth of Jesus.

No they don't, unless you think that Jesus is the sun and that Jesus was born in December.

The Julian Calender is dedicated to Julius Caesar, who was deified after his death, and "Caesars Comet" was most likely the "Star of Bethlehem". Also, Caesar's effigy was placed on a cross.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed
I'm blaming all the worlds religions for the destruction of Earth and the ignorance of its people.

Please show me where Jesus mentioned to take care of the Earth? I can't find it for the life of me.

"When in doubt, just make it up.. Other's will applaud you, agree with you, and defend you in believing everything you want, except the truth.
The truth will get you harassed, kicked, and bruised. "

It works both ways. More so in my case because i'm the one bringing truth while you are the one providing absolutely no evidence while arguing a point that has no merit whatsoever.

You say that Jesus didn't approve of astrology, divination, and sorcery. This obviously designed to keep you away from the truth. The whole bible is astrology. Jesus himself is the Sun. Of course they don't want you looking into astrology, its the easiest way to prove Jesus nonexistence.

As for sorcery and divination... Words that describe true spirituality only given a negative connotation through Jesus' teachings. Sorcery and divination is learning how to use your consciousness properly and to the best of your ability. This is the spirituality being ripped from Christianity right in from of your face.

Christianity is materialism at its core.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Gosh, what a colossal waste of time these threads are.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Both revolve around the birth of Jesus.

No they don't, unless you think that Jesus is the sun and that Jesus was born in December.

The Julian Calender is dedicated to Julius Caesar, who was deified after his death, and "Caesars Comet" was most likely the "Star of Bethlehem". Also, Caesar's effigy was placed on a cross.

Not true, but believe what you want. That's fine.

So are you going to ask Jesus if He exists? Just ask Jesus something like:

Jesus, if you're real, show yourself to me so that I know.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join