It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jesus NEVER existed': Writer finds no mention of Christ in 126 historical texts and says he was a

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
why are there no written words from jesus himself? he was supposedly an educated man. if he came to save mankind, why didn't HE write some things down??

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Religion is what the individual makes of it.

True, but the individual is prone to brainwashing and pressure from the leadership of the religion they are part of. They tend to follow the crowd. I personally can take Jesus as a complete separate identity from the Catholic Church. To me it is unfair when Jesus is attacked and defamed for problems caused by the Church. In my mind he never wanted any organized religion, the Roman Empire created the Church and all the evil that goes with it.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Nothings changed in the world today as regards to being erased from history when someones speaks against any empires or systems of power that control the people. From my perspective, it always seems like it's up to the people who was close to, or closely touched by what said persons was doing.

Having said that i might have abit of a bombshell for you all, i've been through a whirlwind of a time in this last 6 month i'll tell you, and don't get too mad with me with how this is gonna sound because this is the first time i've even mentioned this subject in the public domain so here goes lol, what would you say if i said i've personally seen 3 images a man sent to me, i won't say where from for some time yet but, from my own perspective there definitely was a man who suffered on the cross, i almost feel like i've got a very important message to get out to everyone but i'm not sure how to do this without coming across as completely crazy (lol) but it is a very serious subject. This happened over the course of a couple of month with lots of other things happening from there on so i'm going to keep this short just as a little teaser for you. I might get the whole story out soon i dunno, but heres goes this is just to clarify a few things i've read on here.

With what i've been shown i can say that yeoshua was certainly a real man who lived in the past! i'm not saying that everything that has been wrote about him is true, i've got many hours worth of talking on that subject in the future but, i've had a major honor (if thats what most people would say) of seeing a few things via visions!

1, The first was what he wanted people to know about when he was on the cross, while he was up there and when they got bored, they would pull up the cross and let him land face first on to the floor, i feel like he wanted everyone to know that that was one of the painful times every time the did that to him, and over the course of time while he was up there they repeatedly did it over and over

2. The second one i was shown was him on the cross, i did not see anything but his head, this was definitely the hardest to see. i could see from that one image the pain he was suffering while on the cross maybe more on this one later.

3. The third image i was shown i really do not know how to take. it was blissful, but at the same time for my own perspectives on life a massive heartbreaking shame. i was shown a image just after he had been taken off the cross, and wrapped in white robes (i was told) there were i believe two people laying his body to rest onto what i remember being a some kind of red linen on the floor. If you could feel what i felt at the time of seeing these you would understand what it's like to talk to people about this.

I'm not going into too much right now about my own perspectives , how i feel about what i saw or what i feel i've got to do or how and why this has come about, but i promise and put my hand on my heart as a man that this little bit i have explained today is the complete truth to what i saw, and i feel you lot on here should know this with the debate about if was real or not. if you want to know anything else then i'll never be far away, but theres one to get all of your minds into.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Well why would what I wrote mean the Bible isn't necessary?

It's stranger still thinking further to realise he obviously knew he didn't have too.

I don't get that at all? It's much easier to surmise that he knew he didn't have to
record his words himself, because someone would. Low and behold we do have
the Bible and it is necessary so I can know what he said. Lemon peasy.

edit on Rpm100614v382014u04 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
check out John m Allegros work. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth in which he argued that because the authors of the Christian gospels did not understand Essene thought, they had confused the meaning of the scrolls and built the Christian tradition based on the misunderstanding of the scrolls. Allegro argued that story of Jesus was based on the crucifixion of the Teacher of Righteousness in the scrolls: Spider879

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrunkYogi

Religion is what the individual makes of it.

True, but the individual is prone to brainwashing and pressure from the leadership of the religion they are part of. They tend to follow the crowd. I personally can take Jesus as a complete separate identity from the Catholic Church. To me it is unfair when Jesus is attacked and defamed for problems caused by the Church. In my mind he never wanted any organized religion, the Roman Empire created the Church and all the evil that goes with it.

What you have highlighted is a problem with the people themselves, not the religion, per se.

The same thing can be said about gang members, or soccer fans, or people that believe they've been abducted by aliens. They tend to follow the crowd and are susceptible to being manipulated.

That's not a religious problem whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I am trying to remember was it Josephus or was it Tacticus that also wrote about Hercules being a real person?

Are there any accounts of someone writing about Jesus who actually met the guy or is it all I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who heard from a guy who met the guy and now I am writing it down?

It was Tacitus that wrote about Hercules.

What he wrote about Hercules was a record of the tales people told at the time. In regards to Jesus, his writings were not recording "what people said" about Jesus, he was writing about what was accepted fact at the time. It was common knowledge that Nero persecuted Christians, and a man named Jesus was tortured by Pilate.

OK thanks that is what I thought I remembered. I guess Josephus was the only one that actually lived during that time in question but his writings have been called into question.

That is an accusation that is often leveled by mythicists that simply isn't true. There are portions of a passage that are called into question, as the language used seems to indicate it was edited by a Christian at some point, but these are minor details seemingly added to convey Jesus as the Christ. It's believed the original passages didn't have these titles, but that they are authentic and unaltered (and yet still mention Jesus).

Curiously, mythicists are often silent about the second passage that is NOT thought to have been altered, which also mentions Jesus:

And now Caesar, upon hearing the death of Festus, sent Albinus into Judea, as procurator. But the king deprived Joseph of the high priesthood, and bestowed the succession to that dignity on the son of Ananus, who was also himself called Ananus. Now the report goes that this eldest Ananus proved a most fortunate man; for he had five sons who had all performed the office of a high priest to God, and who had himself enjoyed that dignity a long time formerly, which had never happened to any other of our high priests. But this younger Ananus, who, as we have told you already, took the high priesthood, was a bold man in his temper, and very insolent; he was also of the sect of the Sadducees, who are very rigid in judging offenders, above all the rest of the Jews, as we have already observed; when, therefore, Ananus was of this disposition, he thought he had now a proper opportunity. Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the sanhedrin of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned: but as for those who seemed the most equitable of the citizens, and such as were the most uneasy at the breach of the laws, they disliked what was done; they also sent to the king, desiring him to send to Ananus that he should act so no more, for that what he had already done was not to be justified; nay, some of them went also to meet Albinus, as he was upon his journey from Alexandria, and informed him that it was not lawful for Ananus to assemble a sanhedrin without his consent. Whereupon Albinus complied with what they said, and wrote in anger to Ananus, and threatened that he would bring him to punishment for what he had done; on which king Agrippa took the high priesthood from him, when he had ruled but three months, and made Jesus, the son of Damneus, high priest.

Further, they rarely mention the passage Josephus penned which also mentions John the baptist and his execution (which is also recorded in the NT):

Now some of the Jews thought that the destruction of Herod's army came from God, and that very justly, as a punishment of what he did against John, that was called the Baptist: for Herod slew him, who was a good man... Herod, who feared lest the great influence John had over the people might put it into his power and inclination to raise a rebellion... Accordingly he was sent a prisoner, out of Herod's suspicious temper, to Macherus, the castle I before mentioned, and was there put to death.

Some of the mythicists, who have essentially been proven wrong by history, then turned around and claimed Josephus was in on it, and he actually wrote the new testament as some kind of big joke for the emperor! Rich stuff, with no historical evidence to back it up.

But I guess if a person needs to perform such mental gymnastics to get history to fit within their own personal paradigm, then no amount of evidence is going to convince them in the first place, right?

So, in summary, yes, certain portions of Josephus writings are thought to have been altered by a Christian scribe. Others are not, and are thought by scholars to be authentic, that also mention Jesus, and even John the baptist.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

How would you find Mathew, Luke, john and mark in a desert ? Your more likely to find them hanging out at the local mall. Just another reason not to be preached to

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

why are there no written words from jesus himself? he was supposedly an educated man. if he came to save mankind, why didn't HE write some things down??

What difference would it have made? Would his writings not be called into question anyways?
edit on 6-10-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

What difference would it have made? Would his writings not be called into question anyways?

not if it was an original piece. and i would think the son of god/god incarnate would know better than anyone else how to make that kind of thing last until it was needed.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

True also, but when a religious organization i.e the Catholic Church has around 1.2 Billion members then it becomes a massive organized religious problem. A danger to the world.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

It has lasted for 2000 years. Obviously, He did know better than anyone else how to make it last. Again, if Jesus had actually written his words down himself, we would still be having this conversation. People would just be claiming that He never wrote anything down, and that it was an imposter who created him, the same way they are doing now.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
a reply to: Spider879

He is WRONG, and it doesn't take much to disprove either.

The Bible - New Testament

Josephus On Jesus

Tacitus On Christ

And that is just a quick rebuttal.

Have you ever taken one single second to wonder why the bible isn't found in the history section in your local library? Try looking in the fiction section.
edit on R592014-10-06T14:59:13-05:00k5910Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33

He is WRONG, and it doesn't take much to disprove either.

The Bible - New Testament

Josephus On Jesus

Tacitus On Christ

And that is just a quick rebuttal.

Have you ever taken one single second to wonder why the bible isn't found in the history section in your local library? Try looking in the fiction section.

One might be inclined to question how much time you've spent reading history books at the library? Clearly you are either unaware or willfully ignorant on the evidence that supports Jesus historical existence.

I am genuinely curious why some people have such a deep seeded need to deny the man even existed. It's not like you have to believe in God to believe that Jesus walked the earth, or that the new testament is based on a real group of people (Jesus included) that actually existed.

Think critically for a moment. If the whole thing was made up, wouldn't the most vociferous opponents of Christianity simply say so? The romans actively persecuted the Christians and went so far as to write entire documents on why Christianity was a perverse religion in their eyes, yet not once do they make the accusation that Jesus never existed. Similarly, Jews of the day condemned Christians and Jesus, going so far as to accuse Jesus of being a sorcerer. Why bother making such accusations of a mythical character that didn't exist? Wouldn't it have been far easier to discredit the entire early Christian movement by simply pointing out that Jesus was a myth? A fictional character?

The obvious answer is that at that point in history, it would have been an absurd accusation, as many people were witness to Jesus ministry, miracles, and execution. There may even have been other documents now lost to history that were common knowledge then, or proclamations, which also confirmed these events.

The supporting extra biblical historical evidence is clear: Jesus existed. It's up to you whether or not you believe He was the Son of God, or if the reports of his miracles were fabricated or not, but the bulk of academics agree that Jesus walked the earth. Even Christianity's most vocal modern opponent (Richard Dawkins) admits that the evidence for a historical Jesus is practically incontrovertible.
edit on 6-10-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Fortunately most scholars disagree with his findings...

He wasn't that famous in the first century as this guy claims... millions would not have heard of him...

It actually took a few centuries for the name to be spread across that side of the world...

We know for a fact James existed... We know Paul existed...

Paul met James who he called "the brother of the lord"

Jesus most definitely did exist.... but likely not as Christianity makes him out to be...

You're mistaken. No scholars have cited contemporaneous documentation proving that Jesus lived. Some scholars, despite that, BELIEVE that Jesus lived. Belief is not evidence. There simply is no evidence. Nothing was written about Jesus until two generations after he allegedly lived. The second-hand claim that Paul alleges is not evidence. The fact that Paul lived is not evidence, in any way, that Jesus lived. Paul never even claimed to have witnessed Jesus living -- nor did anyone else.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Now, I am no biblical scholar, but it is my understanding that there is plenty of evidence that is accepted by historians that a man named Jesus did exist, and was crucified by the Romans.

Extra-biblical writers such as Tacitus and Jospehus validated some of the things written in the NT, and I believe the Egyptians even wrote about Jesus.

Now whether or not he was the son of god is irrellevant.

You are mistaken. There is zero contemporaneous documentation (and that's the only kind that counts). Tacitus and Josephus were not even alive when Jesus allegedly lived and could not have witnessed him living. Tacitus simply repeated stories and Josephus never wrote about Jesus. In 400 AD, the church inserted a forgery into his works that mentions Jesus. It was so poorly written that almost no one takes it seriously. It even included language not in use at the time Josephus lived.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Josephus' works in which he profusely goes on and on about the divinity of Jesus is a known forgery. The ensuing mention of Jesus, the Christ is also a known interpolation. Josephus was NOT a follower of Jesus Christ, as his forgeries would seem to indicate.

Josephus refers to many Jesus' throughout his works, like "Jesus the son of Gamaliel, the successor of Jesus the son of Damneus" "Jesus ben Phiabi, Jesus ben Sec", "Jesus ben Sirach, Jesus ben Pandira, Jesus ben Ananias" just to name a few, but NEVER does Josephus refer to Jesus ben Joseph or Jesus of Nazareth or the Nazarene.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

a reply to: immoralist

No, Tacitus specifically mentions Jesus, his crucifixion, and is widely accepted as being authentic.

As far as Jospehus, he is discredited because he seemed to be arrogant and liked to build himself up. I believe he was also incorrect about some geologic measurements.....or something like that. That, in no way, indicates he was wrong about Jesus.

Uh..Tacitus wasn't even alive when Jesus allegedly lived. Only first-hand accounts (ie., I saw Jesus at the well today) are considered evidence that someone lived. Not one person who lived when Jesus allegedly lived wrote a word about him. The Romans were scrupulous record-keepers who kept a census and recorded every trial and execution. No mention of Jesus.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: da pickles
a reply to: marg6043

How would you find Mathew, Luke, john and mark in a desert ? Your more likely to find them hanging out at the local mall. Just another reason not to be preached to

Wait... Are you serious? Can you confirm for me if you are claiming what I think you are claiming? Are you claiming that because the english transliterations of these names are, well, english, that must mean they are fictional characters?

Do you realize that these are the english equivalents of these names, after being transliterated from Aramaic (which doesn't even have written vowels) to greek, to latin, to english?

Jesus name itself is an english translation. It originally would have been "Yeshua" in Aramaic (יֵשׁוּעַ), a derivitive of "Yehoshuah", or "Joshua" in English.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie

Good one!
Always wondered that myself.

Maybe somebody that talks to god can ask for us doubters?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join