It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jesus NEVER existed': Writer finds no mention of Christ in 126 historical texts and says he was a

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I read 200 documents/texts, and none of them mentioned Elvis Presley... I guess by this logic Elvis is a fairy tale.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I am trying to remember was it Josephus or was it Tacticus that also wrote about Hercules being a real person?

Are there any accounts of someone writing about Jesus who actually met the guy or is it all I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who heard from a guy who met the guy and now I am writing it down?

It was Tacitus that wrote about Hercules.

What he wrote about Hercules was a record of the tales people told at the time. In regards to Jesus, his writings were not recording "what people said" about Jesus, he was writing about what was accepted fact at the time. It was common knowledge that Nero persecuted Christians, and a man named Jesus was tortured by Pilate.

OK thanks that is what I thought I remembered. I guess Josephus was the only one that actually lived during that time in question but his writings have been called into question.

Honestly, any writings regarding Jesus is called in to question. Some people simply do not like the idea that Jesus was, most likely, a real man.

From what I have read, I'm inclined to say that he did exist. And just because he did exist, it does not completely validate the Christian religion or prove he was the son of God.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I am trying to remember was it Josephus or was it Tacticus that also wrote about Hercules being a real person?

Are there any accounts of someone writing about Jesus who actually met the guy or is it all I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who heard from a guy who met the guy and now I am writing it down?

What he wrote about Hercules was a record of the tales people told at the time. In regards to Jesus, his writings were not recording "what people said" about Jesus, he was writing about what was accepted fact at the time. It was common knowledge that Nero persecuted Christians, and a man named Jesus was tortured by Pilate.

OK thanks that is what I thought I remembered. I guess Josephus was the only one that actually lived during that time in question but his writings have been called into question.

Honestly, any writings regarding Jesus is called in to question. Some people simply do not like the idea that Jesus was, most likely, a real man.

From what I have read, I'm inclined to say that he did exist. And just because he did exist, it does not completely validate the Christian religion or prove he was the son of God.

thats how i feel. perhaps jesus was just a glorified tibetan-trained jew who decided to turn the cultural philosophies of his time on their head.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Personally, the more I study, the more I believe that Jesus was a composite figure of several real people. But, if Jesus DID exist, I believe he was an Essene Master. Jesus fit the description of the Righteous Teacher, found with the Dead Sea Scrolls, a master who live around a century before Jesus is said to have lived, and who was expected to "reincarnate" within the Essene Community again, in order to re-interpret the oral Torah. www.shareintl.org...

Jesus also fits the description, according to some scholars, as the leader of the Jewish tribe who held out at Masada. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
If Jesus never existed, why the need to subvert and try and destroy some of his writing's by the Roman Authorities/Catholic Church. If it was a scam from the start then surely you would have all the details neatly laid out in you wicked plan! You would have no need for the destruction of various texts, you would have covered every angle since you created it. Why the need to destroy something you created in order make it fit your story? Make sense? I don't think so.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
it means everything, by not saying that they believe that he was the the son of god who came down, paid the price as the sacrificial lamb for your sins where you didn't have to keep on going and giving offerings for sins that you never would be able to pay for, and was raised on the third day which is what his whole mission was about,IE to save the lost of the world.

Sure maybe to YOUR interpretation. If you hadn't noticed, it's hard to find two Christians who agree about interpretations of the bible.

so do i for the simple fact that i don't know for certain what they believe in their heart. and in saying i'm a Christian, they are saying that they believe that Jesus came and did just what he said. unless they just don't know what it means to be saying that, or that they have a ulterior motive, which 9 out of 10 time is very evident. think money preachers.

And? That doesn't mean that YOU are able to tell the difference.

i can, i mentioned one above. another that comes to mind, make that two. preachers, like Jim Jones, David Koresh, these might be poor example to some but they called themselves Christians, and they strayed very far from Christ's teachings.

Then they are Christians.

it's not my standard, it's what written in the bible about believing, it is called faith, it is part what Christianity is built on, one of the main tenants for that matter.
wikipedia has a good definition i like.

Yes, it is you standard. There are THOUSANDS of denominations of Christianity. They all believe things differently. The only person that should be able to tell who is and isn't a "true" Christian is god (if he exists). For more fun, anyone who deems to determine if someone is or isn't a Christian, is THEMSELVES breaking Christian tenants by judging another person (which the bible that you cherish so much tells you not to do). Have fun with that contradiction.

the bible has one too. well many more as a matter of fact here is just one i like.

Faith is just believing in the insane without the evidence to say that it is true.

that could be seen as true, but then many of the oaths that have been taken by how many public officials and private citizens would be for naught, that's where the faith comes in.

Faith for who? If you have faith that a god exists, but the person you are talking to doesn't. If you get him to say an oath to god, do you honestly expect it to mean anything to them? Or do you need faith for them to keep their word? In all honesty, it's probably better to put your faith in the person rather than god. If you look at an oath as "faith that the person won't lie about their actions" then it is easier to hold them to their word versus having faith that the person won't lie in front of god.

ETA: i forgot to say that about why would some one lie about being a Christian, i knew a guy in high school that admitted to lying to girls in church about being a Christian so he could get in their pants. there are many reasons for people to lie about being a about being a Christian.

Sure, but can you pick them out of a crowd without knowing anything about them?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DrunkYogi

If Jesus never existed, why the need to subvert and try and destroy some of his writing's by the Roman Authorities/Catholic Church.

I know of no claim that Jesus ever wrote anything down.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Yeah that is kinda what I think about him. I get that the myth is probably based off a real man or maybe several.

When I say myth I mean the otherworldly supernatural son of god things that have been written about him.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Ok. Why try and destroy some of his teaching's? I mean they supposedly invented the guy, did they forget they invented him?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
does this really matter after all? People believe what they want to believe, that or most arent ready....sheeps will be sheeps for as long as they want to. You can show them all the facts....wont matter if they are still too blind to accept change....and after all...accept that they were wrong and that doesnt fly...lol good monday! a reply to: Spider879

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

If Jesus never existed, why the need to subvert and try and destroy some of his writing's by the Roman Authorities/Catholic Church.

which is the strangest part. if it was so important to record the words and deeds of this man why did he not do it himself?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I don't believe that challenging the belief in the mythology of the creator of the universe incarnating as Jesus, blah blah blah, invalidates any of the teachings that Jesus supposedly taught. None of what Jesus taught was new by any means. It is the same thing that was being taught for generation upon generation.

I think the more important question would be "Why did Jesus parrot Buddha and Hillel, while the Book of John parrots Philo and Plato?"

edit on 6-10-2014 by windword because: change Pliny to Philo OOOPS

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I reckon he did exist and was more in likeness of a Yogi character. Then along came The Romans/Catholic Church and decided to subvert the teaching's i.e Then came Saul/Paul and i reckon this Sun thing that Zietgiest keep going on about is actually more likely from Paul. Paul/Saul/Sol/Sun. Here is the real subversion.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Maybe Jesus parroted Buddha because the truth is eternal.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: windword

which is the strangest part. if it was so important to record the words and deeds of this man why did he not do it himself?

Well, perhaps he used the easiest and most available medium to spread the word.......speaking to people. Or Perhaps writing down the gospel wouldn't have done any good because most people were illiterate.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Jesus existed that much is fact! He is written about in many historical records most notably by Josephus whom was a Roman scribe from around the time of Christ and more famously he is also prominent in the dead sea scrolls which as we know were written during those times! Now whether you believe him to be the son of god or a jumped up rabbi is for you to decide!

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Having read the Op’s article the following can be stated:

Did Jesus exist? We do not know. The concept of keeping records about who all was around in the way of census data did not really exist in the historical world. They kept track of how many people, but not names and places. So we really are not sure if he did or did not.

Historical reference. That is one that can be answered easily, the reason why is that at that time, he would have been considered a rebel and probably someone of just a footnote, and nothing more.

The Judea region of the Roman Empire was one that was considered to be of a turbulent part of the empire, filled with strife and malcontent. It was considered, as was recorded, to be the absolutely worst Provence that a roman could be assigned to. No governor or soldier wanted to be there. Riots and uprisings were something that was common. I would equate the reason why there is very little in the way of historical reverence is due to one that he was only well known in a very small part of the area of the empire, the one provence that no one liked, and ultimately was just a footnote, until his followers gained more credibility in the empire and spread out through out the world.

Kind of like either Ghandi or Martin Luther King Jr. initially where was no books or even any real reference to them, until after their death. And who knows how history will view or even state about them in the future, in say a 1000 years after they have died and are long gone.

Even more notable figures in history, there is not a lot about them, save that which people have gone through and looked at them. This is something is common if one does say genealogy work, where the records get harder and more obscure to find on one person or another.

So I would say it is possible he may have existed, but is not going to be as famous or prominent as some would think in the records of that era. And even then back then it was a common practice, when someone was no liked in the empire to erase and forbid the speaking or writing of said persons name.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher
a reply to: Spider879

I read 200 documents/texts, and none of them mentioned Elvis Presley... I guess by this logic Elvis is a fairy tale.

That kind of reverse and falsely applied logic is so full of holes, it's barely even laughable

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

not going to argue with you any more. except i will take exception with this. Jesus tells us to do both. with deferent reasons.

anyone who deems to determine if someone is or isn't a Christian, is THEMSELVES breaking Christian tenants by judging another person (which the bible that you cherish so much tells you not to do). Have fun with that contradiction.

for those that believe, we understand what Jesus words mean here.

Matthew:7:1-2
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you" .

it should be noted that according to Strong's concordance, the word translated "judge" can also mean "condemn."
what this says to me, and yes i can find more than two Christians that would agree with me, quite a few more as a matter of fact maybe even into the ten of thousands. any way what i think is, although i may not be able to see a person heart and that i don't know any person relationship with God/Jesus. that's why i said i believe them because they say they are. until i see other wise.

Jesus also said this.

Matthew:12:34
"Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."

and

Matthew:12:33
"a tree is known by its fruits".

so here he also said that you can tell who's who, by what they say and do. in other words you can tell by one's repeated words and actions what they are likely to believe.

you can reply if you like, but to use some more of Jesus words.

it's time to "wipe the dust" from my feet.

edit on 6-10-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
in reply to- Spider879

Nothings changed in the world today as regards to being erased from history when someones speaks against any empires or systems of power that control the people. From my perspective, it always seems like it's up to the people who was close to, or closely touched by what said persons was doing.

Having said that i might have abit of a bombshell for you all, i've been through a whirlwind of a time in this last 6 month i'll tell you, and don't get too mad with me with how this is gonna sound because this is the first time i've even mentioned this subject in the public domain so here goes lol, what would you say if i said i've personally seen 3 images a man sent to me, i won't say where from for some time yet but, from my own perspective there definitely was a man who suffered on the cross, i almost feel like i've got a very important message to get out to everyone but i'm not sure how to do this without coming across as completely crazy (lol) but it is a very serious subject. This happened over the course of a couple of month with lots of other things happening from there on so i'm going to keep this short just as a little teaser for you. I might get the whole story out soon i dunno, but heres goes this is just to clarify a few things i've read on here.

With what i've been shown i can say that yeoshua was certainly a real man who lived in the past! i'm not saying that everything that has been wrote about him is true, i've got many hours worth of talking on that subject in the future but, i've had a major honor (if thats what most people would say) of seeing a few things via visions!

1, The first was what he wanted people to know about when he was on the cross, while he was up there and when they got bored, they would pull up the cross and let him land face first on to the floor, i feel like he wanted everyone to know that that was one of the painful times every time the did that to him, and over the course of time while he was up there they repeatedly did it over and over

2. The second one i was shown was him on the cross, i did not see anything but his head, this was definitely the hardest to see. i could see from that one image the pain he was suffering while on the cross maybe more on this one later.

3. The third image i was shown i really do not know how to take. it was blissful, but at the same time for my own perspectives on life a massive heartbreaking shame. i was shown a image just after he had been taken off the cross, and wrapped in white robes (i was told) there were i believe two people laying his body to rest onto what i remember being a some kind of red linen on the floor. If you could feel what i felt at the time of seeing these you would understand what it's like to talk to people about this.

I'm not going into too much right now about my own perspectives , how i feel about what i saw or what i feel i've got to do or how and why this has come about, but i promise and put my hand on my heart as a man that this little bit i have explained today is the complete truth to what i saw, and i feel you lot on here should know this with the debate about if was real or not. if you want to know anything else then i'll never be far away, but theres one to get all of your minds into.
edit on Mon12014Mon, 06 Oct 2014 13:09:21 -0500310185 by DNorth85 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join