It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Someone just 'Paid it Forward' to me

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:08 AM

originally posted by: BlackProject
It benefits you in no way, only the person who takes off with free stuff but never shares again. Its really stupid.

I'm guessing you are saying this because you have never done it (and most likely never intend too).

PIF is an amazing feeling to be on the recieving side of as Liveandlearn has stated but man, the feeling you get from doing it for someone is that amazing warm fuzzy feeling you get when you watch an emotional video on YT or help an old lady across the street or stop to help someone change a flat.

YOU benefit from it in so many ways. Even though it has cost you some money or time the karma points from PIF are immense too.

I'm not going to bitch at you for having such a negative attitude but dood - you really have to try it!

Next time you see a homeless person in the street - go buy them a Subway and a coffee! That's what I always do when I buy my Subway in town - get an extra meal with a coffee and just drop it off with the next homeless person I see. Spend a minute talking to them and they are so appreciative of it.

PIF is the future!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:25 AM
a reply to: docnorton

What you wrote just seems blank yet again. I am a kind and caring person and have done many things for many strangers to help them, no money crossed hands. Just plain and simple good will to help someone achieve something but thats not to say it will make them in anyway appreciate what is done for them.

I have found myself in the past giving money to homeless people and also buy them food and drinks but then the next day, next week, next month and year, they are still there. Those I helped, still need help. Those who are in a bad situation that have no real mental state to change it, will always be in that situation. I have noted that after all my good will in the past, it has aided no one or induced a push in their life.

I could point out the wrong doings of such a topic all day but I may end my endeavour here. As I guess people will keep replying to me, due to my point of view. I would land PIF in the same category as charities. Guilt trips, that after all aid and help is given, will again ask for another hand out or expect it.
edit on 8-10-2014 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:23 AM
a reply to: BlackProject

I'm not trying to change your mind here but I really think you've got the wrong end of the PIF stick.

You're entitled to your opinion - that's cool with me.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:53 PM

originally posted by: BlackProject
a reply to: liveandlearn

I completely understand how it made you feel and that is great to hear. However generosity should come from doing acts other then spending money, it puts money and material things first with this PIF trend. I was not intending to call you stupid, I am saying those in general that do this, are missing the point. I have seen people feel seriously guilty over being paid for and then feel compelled to have to buy someone else something. I have also seen people feel disrespected due to people thinking they need to some how offer charity. It is just moving money around.

I can see how majority of people these days have forgotten how to act generously to others and think by flashing cash about, helps.

Generosity can come from anywhere and money should not be excluded. People give in any way they can for whatever reason they choose. Consider people who give money to food banks and many other charitable organizations, people who give used goods.

I understand what you are saying and that may/may not be a superior way to give. But any act of giving/kindness should be applauded in my imperfect view.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:19 PM
There have been a few times when I see someone's card get declined or a person has an issue with their EBT card a the grocery store and I always want to quietly step up and just pay the bill. I've resisted because I'm not sure if it would be embarrassing to them.

The few times I've had card issues at checkout I was oddly embarrassed (I have pretty thick skin about this sort of thing usually) and just wanted to get out as quick as possible.

I think I may just start doing it when I see it. I've done it once or twice, but I should sack up and do it more often (it's a rare occurrence anyway). Think I might start doing this at drive thrus too. For some reason it never really dawned on me that the order behind you can be paid for without the other person being at the window. Derp.

new topics

<< 1   >>