It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Jong-un Coup Attempt: North Korean Leader may have Fled Pyongyang Amid Threats to Life

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You sure about that?

Seems S.Korea is bending backwards to Reunify.

Here I'll help: english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

S. Korea urges N. Korea to hold high-level talks as planned

S.Korea is drooling over them right now.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

You seem to want to react to every incident. I doubt South Koreans themselves think like you.

I think South Korea will welcome reunification with North. It removes the artillery and nuclear threat from Seoul area and provides South with many natural resources + pool of workers.

Reunification is possible only by intervention of China.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: GargIndia

And the U.S. military presence in S.Korea must eventually make a decision on whether to stay or leave. . .

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: GargIndia
a reply to: Xcathdra

You seem to want to react to every incident. I doubt South Koreans themselves think like you.

I think South Korea will welcome reunification with North. It removes the artillery and nuclear threat from Seoul area and provides South with many natural resources + pool of workers.

Reunification is possible only by intervention of China.

The South Koreans are the ones who returned arty rounds when shelled. They don't like having incoming ordinance because of Northern insanity. Secondly, the North is now about 40 years behind the South in terms of technology and industry and the Southerners are now actually taller than their neighbours due to better diets. Reunification would be an economic disaster.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Reunification would be an economic disaster.

Not necessarily. Germany re-united successfully. Of course, Korean reunification will be infinitely more difficult, Germany had a long tradition of liberal education to draw on, whereas DPRK has regressed into a society that can best be described as a classical pseudo-Confucian theocratic monarchy, with some access to modern technology. For all intents and purposes, it does not exist in our world. Educating the people alone might be an insurmountable task if undertaken all at once. Reunification of the peninsula will need to be a long, drawn out affair.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Maybe but the East German government and economy though was nothing close to North Korea. North Korea is open to reunification in 2 forms -

* - Complete reunification under the North.

or

* - Reunification with the South using the Chinese 1 system 2 government type setup.

Neither one of those will resolve the issues at hand. While the south wants reunification as well I doubt they are going to throw open the doors and welcome North Korean officials in with open arms. There will be an adjustment needed for people to get out of the mindset that the north could be trusted.

The same applies to the North but will be infinitely more problematic. The entire structure of North Korea is based on their Dear Leader in addition to the version of historical events that dont seem to match up with anyone but their own.

How do you rectify those fundamental differences?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Reunification would be an economic disaster.

Not necessarily. Germany re-united successfully. Of course, Korean reunification will be infinitely more difficult, Germany had a long tradition of liberal education to draw on, whereas DPRK has regressed into a society that can best be described as a classical pseudo-Confucian theocratic monarchy, with some access to modern technology. For all intents and purposes, it does not exist in our world. Educating the people alone might be an insurmountable task if undertaken all at once. Reunification of the peninsula will need to be a long, drawn out affair.

I respectfully disagree after the initial culture shock,it may only take a few years to come to terms with the new reality look at former North Koreans living in South Korea, people are more resilient than we give them credit for. If one remembered the Russians went through something similar now look at them.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Sure.. The issue though is those North Koreans want change.

What about the ones who dont?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: Spider879

Sure.. The issue though is those North Koreans want change.

What about the ones who dont?

Sadly the ones who don't include the military High Command, who don't want to give up their power.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join