It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Jong-un Coup Attempt: North Korean Leader may have Fled Pyongyang Amid Threats to Life

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Actually the US does not have a singular "American Command presence" in S. Korea (unless I missed something along the way). People seem to forget the war between North and South Korea never ended. We are merely in a 50 year long cease fire.

The US military presence in S. Korea is under the authority of the United Nations going back to the Korean war. There are something like 16 other countries still involved who had since removed their presence.

Wikileaks cable release showed conversation with Chinese Diplomats stating China could work with a unified Korean under a Seoul provided American forces remained below the 38th parallel.

I think China is to the point where its more in there interest - economically, militarily and politically, to have a stable Korea under any government than the one currently in control in N. Korea rather than have N. Korea start something that will drag China in that could cause massive economic upheavals between China, the Us and the other nations China trades with.
edit on 8-10-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Sorry. Can't capture text for quoting again.

USFK/CFC (Combined Forces Command) has been led by an American Four-Star at least since my 20+ years of service on this peninsula began in '83. It's a real sticking point for the Americans and a source of frustration at times for the South Koreans.

Not sure about the history of UNCMAC, but no deviation in command authority sticks out in my memory. The U.S. Commanding General has typically worn all three hats.

Deleted

-Cheers
edit on 8102014 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I dont think I was clear.. I was stating the American presence in S. Korea is based on the UN resolution authorizing the use of force to support S. Korea against the north.

While the US has a military presence, its based on the UN and not something separate for the US, if that makes sense.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yeah ... I don't get paid enough to understand that interrelationship. Occasionally, I get to brush elbows with some bigwigs (it's a small community). There were some very interesting comments made during the planning phases of US installation relocations. These were made many many years ago ... and the positions of policy makers have changed hands many times. I just haven't seen (or heard) anything to cause a deviation in that mindset.

What was said at the time (heavily paraphrasing of course) was that the U.S. presence demands a US four-star billet. If they can't keep that, they're taking all their shiny toys and leaving this place, like they did the Philippines. To say the entire room was stunned into silence would be an understatement. If memory serves, that was the message delivered to the last president when he was serving as the mayor of Seoul (don't hold me to my facts on the specific parties ... that's from rote memory).

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
South Korea says Kim jong-Un is not in Pyongyang. Rather, he is currently located North of the city. I find it interesting, particularly if Pyongyang really was under lockdown...

au.news.yahoo.com...

It is also interesting to note that Kim Jong-Un has missed another important meeting, commemorating the anniversary of his father's induction as the general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea. It probably isn't relevant though, as Kim Jong-Un had missed last year's meeting also.

www.koreaherald.com...

Other points of interest include the fact that the officials of whom visited South Korea, done so on Kim Jong-Un's jet. It must be noted that Kim Jong-Un had since purchased another jet, but it is still an interesting point to consider.

english.chosun.com...

Finally, North Korea has today publicly acknowledged the existence of its labour camps in response to a U.N. human rights report. North Korea is also seeking discourse with the EU.

abcnews.go.com...

I don't know how good of an indicator these are for any apparent problems in North Korea. But as we all said earlier...time will tell.
edit on 8-10-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
All the moves and signals??..can we jump the gun and say it's... OVEHA!!!!..
or will someone bust our bubbles.

edit on 8-10-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Your good.. You lived / experienced it. My only "qualification" was from historical research and nothing more.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Apparently one of the people who visited Seoul had body guards. Some observers noted that because under N. Korean law only the HBIC gets security.

As for him being outside of Pyongyang and the lock down - Makes sense to be honest.

Pyongyang is where the elite / supporters live. Remove Un and put him somewhere where approaches in and out can be monitored. Lock down Pyongyang on the off chance supporters aren't happy about Un's retirement (if the rumors are true).

I also found it interesting they announced his sister was running things while Un was recovering from his medical condition. Since the announcement I have not heard anything from her in any way shape or form. Makes me wonder if that was announced to continue the image that the "family" is still in charge.

I wonder if we will see N. Korea announce the death on Un from a failed medical procedure or "health related" issue. Name the sister as the replacement while the generals hold the power.

(post by amymark removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Your good.. You lived / experienced it. My only "qualification" was from historical research and nothing more.

Doesn't make me any more 'an authority' on the subject. The discussion is good ... and this thread's got a tiger by the tail.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I'm not sure where a 'chunky' Asian guy with bad hair and a limp could hide?

Perhaps he faked his gout-limp and got a decent haircut to avoid satellite street-view/walking analysis cams and is at Dennis Rodman's place?

I think little should be done to track down the despotic a$-0le and worry about the next commie that took his place (his sister, is rumored to have done so??).

Playing political 'grab a tiger by the toe' (like a Bin Laden style raid) is just a waste of time, when the game that is afoot is the next leader being chosen by eeny, 'meany' (not meenie), miney, moe., who is the best killer of our foe?(democracy).

edit on 8-10-2014 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Some interesting information allegedly out of North Korea:

Yet claims that Kim has been toppled are not supported by reports of internal North Korean lectures explaining the surprise visit to the Games. DailyNK, a South Korean media organisation staffed in part by defectors who have sources in the North, says civilians were gathered at workplaces and housing complexes on Saturday afternoon to hear the government’s explanation for the trip.

“Senior party and military cadres were dispatched all the way [to the Asian Games] for our athletes, who, without exception, honoured the Fatherland with their indomitable fighting spirit,” one lecturer explained. “With his great love and compassion, Marshal Kim Jong-un personally organised their dispatch, and provided them with a special plane,” she added.

The text for these lectures, a regular feature of life in North Korea, is produced centrally for dispatch throughout the land, and delivered without deviation. Not attending public lectures and teaching sessions is, officially at least, not an option – as mandated by the Ten Principles for the Establishment of the One-ideology System.

www.theguardian.com...

The above seems to address the dispatching of the officers to South Korea, as well as their use of Kim Jong-Un's plane...

I'm not too sure what to make of this. In my opinion, the likelihood of Kim Jong-Un personally dispatching the officers, as well as granting them the right to use his jet, seems more likely than himself being overthrown and officers using his jet to fly to South Korea.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
a reply to: Aazadan

Reunification is an unlikely end to US military presence on the peninsula.

It would likely have a strong influence on the persistence of a four-star combined military command under US leadership. This 'had' been a plan in the works and was only recently reconsidered (redacted to some degree) by the sitting South Korean president.

OTOH, reunification might weaken Korean/Japanese relations, making the entire region more susceptible to Chinese influence/politics.

This is a situation which warrants watching. I'll guarantee something is in the works, but there's still a possibility of return to the status quo ... and that probability grows in two simultaneous directions daily.

Probability of spillover at any border: highly unlikely to non-existent

Any reunification would take time, but the end result is an eventual removal of US forces from Korea and like you said it would increase Chinese influence in the region which goes back to my point. China would very much support that even if they can't do so overtly right now due to North Korea.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I wonder if we will see N. Korea announce the death on Un from a failed medical procedure or "health related" issue. Name the sister as the replacement while the generals hold the power.

I can't see the NK's admitting to a failed medical procedure unless they can some how blame it on the doctor from another country.

I think they need to keep the image of Un behind the scenes, maybe he oversees things from behind the throne (or is said to) while a more cooperative figurehead becomes the face. That being his sister currently, but it's a good way to remove the Kims entirely.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The truth is we really don't know what's going on in NK right now, These changes that are happening in NK right now could have been ordered by Kim himself in order to change NK hermit status.

edit on 8-10-2014 by Ancient Champion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Has anyone come across info on what was discussed in the meeting between the 3 N. Koreans and S. Korea?

Someone else observed that something occurred in N. Korea because of the contradictory actions by the North. While the 3 met in Seoul a N. Korean naval vessel exchanged fire with a S. Korean vessel.

It would be..... awkward... to head to Seoul and talk about peace (if that's what was discussed) while at the same time having a naval confrontation.

@ Aazadan

Anything is possible. We have to remember that N. Korea is isolated and the people only know what the government tells them. If the government announces Un died and America is at fault the people will believe it.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Has anyone come across info on what was discussed in the meeting between the 3 N. Koreans and S. Korea?

Someone else observed that something occurred in N. Korea because of the contradictory actions by the North. While the 3 met in Seoul a N. Korean naval vessel exchanged fire with a S. Korean vessel.

It would be..... awkward... to head to Seoul and talk about peace (if that's what was discussed) while at the same time having a naval confrontation.

The naval incident occurred after the North Korean officials returned to the DPRK. South Korea had actually fired multiple warning shots, to which the North responded.

Seoul defense officials say a South Korean naval ship fired a warning shot after a North Korean vessel crossed the so-called Northern Limit Line off the western coast. The North Korean ship returned fire before retreating.

The officials, who spoke anonymously, said neither ship intended to hit one another and that no injuries or damage occurred in the early Tuesday incident. They said the South's boat fired about 90 rounds in the exchange, which lasted about 10 minutes.

www.voanews.com...

It is interesting to note that North Korea has actually sent a letter to South Korea, enquiring as to why the naval incident had occurred. Essentially, South Korea will not divulge any information from the letter, as it relates to ongoing talks between the two states.

North Korea sent a message to South Korea Wednesday to protest the warning shots fired at its patrol boat near the disputed maritime border on Tuesday.

A South Korean government official, who did not want to be named, told reporters in Seoul the North sent a message of complaint. However, the official did not disclose further information about the sender, the receiver or the message’s content.

Another South Korean official said the message was not delivered through the Panmunjom channel, which refers to the Joint Security Area on the border between the two Koreas.

This has led to speculation that Pyongyang may have sent the message directly from its National Defense Commission, which is led by Kim Jong Un, to the South Korean Presidential Office, which is one means of transmission used in the past.

Seoul’s Defense Minister Han Min-goo Wednesday said the message’s contents cannot be revealed as it relates to ongoing talks between the two Koreas.

www.voanews.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
A Reuters source close to Pyongyang and Beijing claims that Kim Jong-Un has only injured his leg, and is still in total control of the state.

Apparently, the leader had pulled a tendon during military drills and needs 100 days to recover.

If it's true, can you imagine the look on the peoples' faces when he was rolling around on the ground in pain?

(Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is in firm control of his government but has hurt his leg, a source with access to the secretive North's leadership said on Thursday, playing down speculation over the 31-year-old's health and grip on power.

The source said that Kim hurt his leg while inspecting military exercises.

"He ordered all the generals to take part in drills and he took part too. They were crawling and running and rolling around, and he pulled a tendon," the source told Reuters on condition of anonymity.

"He injured his ankle and knee around late August or early September while drilling because he is overweight. He limped around in the beginning but the injury worsened," the source said.

Kim needs about 100 days to recuperate, said the source, whose information could not be independently verified.

"Kim Jong Un is in total control," said the source, who has close ties to Pyongyang and Beijing.

www.reuters.com...

edit on 9-10-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Just came across that and was headed here.

Thanks for posting it.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I had too much swiss cheese once. It gave me "discomfort" I will never forget. So I do understand. May Chubby Cheese McKimmy survive this lactic calamity just as I did.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join