It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey theists! I am an atheist. But I am not your enemy.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I would argue, not so much.
Or at least you cannot so easily declare it false.
Case in point, we know Troy existed.
Even if the stories surrounding it are mostly fiction.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

I've always enjoyed your threads. I like how you ask tough questions of not only theists, but atheists. I've seen you accused of being a "fake atheist" which is comical to me. I think you are just an intellectually honest person, and I respect that, the same way I respect your right to not believe in God.

I've had lots of atheist friends. Some of them were preachier than my Christian friends, and some of them were more morally upright than a few self proclaimed Christians I knew. Some of my atheist friends and I had to part ways in the past because of our differences, some of them I am still close friends with to this day.

I feel like you'd fit into the latter category

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Thank you for the kind words.

The fact that you can respect a difference speaks volumes of good of your character.
Which I deeply respect as well.

As for when I was called a fake atheist.
I about fell out of my seat laughing.
I do so love it when strangers try to tell me about me.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Except people aren't worshiping Homer or treating the Iliad like a Bible. In other words they aren't treating the known fictional parts surrounding the city of Troy as fact and making a religion out of it. Christians are treating fiction as fact (some more than others) and revolving their lives around it. Not everything in the Bible is fiction. Many of the people and places are known to have existed or still do today. I'm not declaring that a God does or does not exist. In my opinion anyway, the Abrahamic God and most of the stories surrounding him are just as mythological as well.. any other mythology. Could they have been inspired by a real deity? My opinion is no. You'd have to ask yourself the same question about every other claimed God/Goddess in history/mythology and they can't all be based on real Gods/Goddesses. Anyway.. it's four in the morning. I'm not sure if this post even makes sense lol. Looking forward to your comments.

edit on 7-10-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
a reply to: Prezbo369
Nice non-sequitor............

How lazy, it absolutely follows

When you declare that you're going to 'refuse to allow' people you perceive to be 'idiotic and loud' to say anything, then you're attempting to shut them down and silence them. Which is completely at odds with your inspirational line about freedom....

Also not what I said.
I said it was an umbrella term.

I wasn't referring to your umbrella comment, more about your insistent remarks about people 'speaking for me' and 'particular grouping'.

Nobody speaks for anybody else, not unless you choose to adopt or agree with said sentiments. But you'd know this if you were truly aware that atheists are not a group....

The rest is pretty much the same.

Yep ignore me pointing out your ridiculous and pompous call to arms and claims of people in this context plunging this world into further chaos and conflict just because you cannot stand for others to disagree with you. Get over yourself.

And this would be exactly why I made the comment that has pissed you off.
About the similarity between yourself and the "God Warrior" ala Wife Swap.

Yes that was very witty, however what does slightly irk me is your holier than thou attitude that you continue to display. You disagree with me and other people that happen to be atheists then fine, but acting asthough you're better than me or anybody else purely because you disagree with them and attempting to demonise them and call them idiots puts you (imho) amongst the most......ridiculous and unhelpful atheists.....

But congratulations on finally coming to the realisation that you're an atheist, and that describing yourself as purely agnostic made no sense. I know you enjoyed sitting on the fence and attempting to point out errors from both sides.....

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

To use my example again.
Someone at least partially believed the stories and found the city.
Which was later found to have fallen in conflict.

And also, just on a side note.
This conversation would be an example of my earlier point of not all atheists being "created" equal.
Just to anyone who happens to be reading.
I wouldn't label it as fiction.
I would label it as "most probably mostly fiction".
Calling it fiction or fact is too black and white for me.

Sorry, please excuse the response tacked below sir.

Oh yes.
Do please continue to tell me what I am saying using some of the sloppiest logic ever.
I do so enjoy it.

Also, at no point did I say I was better than you.
Or even really infer it.
This would be an example of the sloppy logic I am talking about.

I would offer to explain why it is I did no such thing.
But given that thus far you have been thus far bending my words to arrive at your wanted conclusion.
I hardly see the point.
You're not going to rationally consider them at any rate.
If your comments thus far are any indication.

So, say whatever else makes you feel better and kindly be gone.

edit on 7-10-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Fair enough.
edit on 7-10-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

You were still unable to address the main point that I was making, that causing people to doubt their preconceived notions or beliefs is not in any way unethical and that indulging people in their superstitions absolutely is.

By what measure of ethics?

At what point do your "ethics" require proselytization?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Oh how sweet

originally posted by: nenothtu

By what measure of ethics?

Why by my very own.........of course?

At what point do your "ethics" require proselytization?

Proselytization? That might be the standard procedure for you, but it's not for everyone else.

Try to think outside of the box.
edit on 16-10-2014 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Oh how sweet

Why by my very own.........of course?

Of course. Now explain to me why I should give a rat's ass about YOUR ethics, such as they are. After all, they are not MY ethics - and isn't that really your gripe, having someone else's ethics foisted upon you?

Proselytization? That might be the standard procedure for you, but it's not for everyone else.

You'll note, perhaps with some interest and not a little chagrin, that nowhere, at any time, have I "proselytized". Tell me, what IS my belief system? Bonus points for supporting your notion with a direct quote from me to verify it.

The same cannot be said for you. Need I quote?

'Splain to me about that "standard procedure" thingy again, with emphasis on whom it really applies to.

Try to think outside of the box.

I don't just think outside the box, I live outside the box. You should try it, but it might scare the beejeezuz out of you. You seem to be very comfortable inside your box, and violently opposed to leaving it.

edit on 2014/10/16 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu
Of course. Now explain to me why I should give a rat's ass about YOUR ethics

DId someone say you should give a rats a** about my ethics?

My opinion, my ethics.

Camomile is very calming.

isn't that really your gripe, having someone else's ethics foisted upon you?

By who? you?? or the member I was replying to earlier?

Did you even read the exchange?

If not camomile then perhaps some stronger type of herbal medication?

You'll note, perhaps with some interest and not a little chagrin, that nowhere, at any time, have I "proselytized". Tell me, what IS my belief system? Bonus points for supporting your notion with a direct quote from me to verify it.

You brought up Proselytization out of the blue, so I guessed it might be the standard procedure for you when entering a debate.....when attempting to read anything, I've heard its always best to relax and take a deep breath first, or use either of my earlier suggestions.

I don't just think outside the box, I live outside the box. You should try it, but it might scare the beejeezuz out of you. You seem to be very comfortable inside your box, and violently opposed to leaving it.

Yeah im sure you're a regular internet warrior.....

(I've heard that a hot bath and some candles can also work)

I'm sure you've earned yourself some brownie points. x

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

DId someone say you should give a rats a** about my ethics?

Why yes, yes they did! thank you for asking! as a matter of fact, it was you who did - in this post.

Specifically, what you had to say was:

You were still unable to address the main point that I was making, that causing people to doubt their preconceived notions or beliefs is not in any way unethical and that indulging people in their superstitions absolutely is.

Which is a statement of fact (not opinion as you are now trying to assert), and even absolutes. We should all care about absolute facts - or do you not agree?

By who? you?? or the member I was replying to earlier?

Did you even read the exchange?

Oh no, certainly not ME! I have no ethics, and therefore cannot foist any of my own upon you. What gripes you may have with the other poster is beyond my reach, and none of my concern. Frankly, I'm uncertain as to WHOSE ethics you are afraid of.

You are frequently not very clear, and somewhat incoherent in your demands and pronouncements. Flighty, even, with your various prescriptions for herbal medication. Are you a doctor, perchance?

You brought up Proselytization out of the blue, so I guessed it might be the standard procedure for you when entering a debate.....

Um, no, Sparky, it wasn't "out of the blue". try to follow along with the conversation. You entered the thread like a madman slinging crap with a sock, and commenced to proselytizing your ethics, speaking in terms of "absolutes" and whatnot, as if you have the answers, and are the bearer of the standards.

I called you on that (which has apparently struck a nerve), and I'm afraid that I can't apologize for that. It is what it is, and I call 'em like I see 'em.

I don't see that any of my wars are any of your concern, but I assure you they were not engaged in upon the internet.

What a silly notion!

You know, I think I'll let you have the last word here - I've had to do that with almost all of my wives at one time or another, too, just to get a little peace and quiet. Girls so DO love having the last word! The topic of the thread wasn't "Combative Atheists" - but thank you for providing a sterling example! As I recall, it was more about non-combative types, the ones who don't feel threatened by someone ELSE'S worldview. I see you do not fit that category.

The floor is yours - and have a nice day!

edit on 2014/10/16 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Pot.
Kettle.
Black.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Please don't advertise in my thread.
I consider it rude

You welcomed him with your first two words...Now you are wiser...has he been back?
Great thread BTW
S + F

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

He did actually.
Can't now considering he's been banned.

Thanks!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join