It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston Reports Possible Ebola Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Physicians do not think it is Ebola but are isolating the patient anyway just to be on the safe side.

The individual has a history of travel to West Africa, I'm gathering it's been recent.

UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester has isolated a person who “has a history of travel to and from West Africa” and is evaluating the patient for possible Ebola, the hospital announced Saturday. “We are working closely with the Centers for Disease Control and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and carefully following specific plans and guidelines for the management of patients with suspected Ebola,” spokeswoman Peggy Thrappas said in a statement. Physicians believe it is likely not Ebola, but in the interest of safety, are isolating the patient until confirmation, the statement said.

I'll update as info comes in.

UM ass Isolating Possible Case

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Good to know they are taking appropriate precautions. There will be more of these types of reports, I'm guessing, as the seriousness sets in and Hospitals become educated and aware.

Thanks for posting.

AB

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Your title:

"Boston Reports Possible Ebola Case"

Then:

"Physicians do not think it is Ebola"

Please get your thread title straight. There is enough fear mongering going on without fabrication.

Peace

edit on 4-10-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Physicians thinking it isn't Ebola does not mean it isn't Ebola.

They're still reporting it as a possible case and isolating the person to be safe.

If I was fear mongering I think I'd try for something a little bit bigger.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Hospitals SHOULD be testing for this often, whenever someone shows similar symptoms with travel history to affected areas.
But media really does not have to report every time they test someone. They should report immediately if they get a positive of course, for the protection of the public.

I'm not sure if most hospitals have been doing what they should all along, and there is just more publicity now due to Dallas. Or if people are just coming forward for testing more often out of fear. Or... hopefully not ... more people are suddenly coming to the country from affected areas hoping for better medical coverage.

But, the media needs to be sensible about what they put in their headlines. Not only to reduce panic, but if they over-report, the public might become desensitized and start to ignore the reports.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Physicians thinking it isn't Ebola does not mean it isn't Ebola.

They're still reporting it as a possible case and isolating the person to be safe.

If I was fear mongering I think I'd try for something a little bit bigger.

Nah,

Ebola is the star n flag issue at the moment.

Nice try tho.

Peace

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

You honestly can assume whatever you want. But I did not post this for stars and flags.

As if my achievements will be measured in stars and flags when I die.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

To be fair Jude,
Dallas initially didn't think it was Ebola when they handed that man antibiotics either, did they? - we all know how that has turned out.

Personally, every single person coming from Africa who is sick should be treated as if they have Ebola until proven otherwise.

I'm glad we're constantly seeing threads where possibilities are being noted, means we can better keep up with the effort being made and also, more positive cases when they come up.
edit on pm749318042014-10-04T19:49:03-05:00072014p by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

Personally, every single person coming from Africa who is sick should be treated as if they have Ebola until proven otherwise.

Ebola isn't currentl being, reported in all African countries - its a massive continent, that would be like saying no-one fromTexas should leave the state because of the 1 reported case.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: britchik

Its a big place I get that, lots of people are walking across borders infected.

In the beginning families were hiding sick people because they believed the ''whites'' were responsible.

Even the health authorities said the numbers being reported are grossly under reported.

People are going on about a need to take this seriously, then the first step (if we aren't willing to cancel flights) is every single person who's coming from Africa with as much as a sniffle should be quarantined until proven to not be infected.

- at a bare minimum.

political correctness and emotional blackmail will be the death of us, because EBOLA doesn't care about your skin color, your political correctness or your kind regard for cultures and race.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
a reply to: britchik

People are going on about a need to take this seriously, then the first step (if we aren't willing to cancel flights) is every single person who's coming from Africa with as much as a sniffle should be quarantined until proven to not be infected.

- at a bare minimum

Wow - I'd hate to see what the final solution would be, if this is the bare minimum.

Ebola is currently present and reported in just a few countries - agreed if they have direct flights to US or other countries passengers should be scrupulously monitored (if airports can check your shoes they can check your temperature) = problem is that people don't just take direct flights, they travel to hubs (Brussels in the case of Dallas patient), they spend a few days here and there, and then travel onwards - impossible to track that they've originated from an infected area, let alone Africa.

The WHO is saying that the numbers will rise exponentially, so sooner or later its not just the indigenous Africans who will be infected, but ex-pat oil workers, diplomatic staff, business people , medics, journalists - oh yeah we already have one coming back to the US on Sunday - this really isn't about political correctness, or race. I was merely trying to convey that if you treat the whole of Africa as a problem you aren't focusing on the real issues here.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: britchik

Wow - I'd hate to see what the final solution would be, if this is the bare minimum.

quarantining sick people who are arriving from Africa, in your mind - is too much/drastic?

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It's estimated that in 2015 422,000 people will inbound from Africa to the United States.
www.statista.com...

Once again, its the current infected countries that are risky not the whole of Africa, so yes quarantining people from the whole of Africa with sniffles is too much/drastic.

I've been trying to think where all these people would be quarantined ?? I read a report that the authorities in Dallas had trouble finding an uncontaminated place for the suspect family of only 4 for 5 days until a benefactor stepped forward with a house - there were no places available, hotels wouldn't take them and there is currently no set up for this. Given your scenario - it just won't happen, it takes months, years even to set up a safe quarantine area.

If where you live is anything like where I live, you'd have the whole area saying not in my backyard, put them somewhere else - so where would you place the quarantined. ?

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18495427]britchik[post]

/If where you live is anything like where I live, you'd have the whole area saying not in my backyard, put them somewhere else - so where would you place the quarantined. ?

Michigan?

edit on 4-10-2014 by RunForTheHills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Come on Jude. Check the title of the article. How's this thread title any more sensationalist than that? Is it so important to you that someone might get "undeserved" stars? Grow the f up.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: RunForTheHills

Michigan - what all of it ???

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
At the same hospital, it appears a person who was treated for Ebola and survived, has been admitted.

Dr. Rick Sacra was previously infected with Ebola but survived.

Dr. Rick Sacra, of Holden, who doctors said was successfully treated for Ebola at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, was admitted to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester Saturday morning with a respiratory illness

They don't believe it's a relapse, however.

Doctors do not think it likely that Sacra, who has been suffering from a persistent cough and low-grade fever for several days, has suffered a relapse of Ebola. "Even though the likelihood of Dr. Sacra having a relapse of Ebola is extremely low, doctors will run tests to be 100 percent sure,” said Dr. Phil Smith, medical director of the Biocontainment Unit at The Nebraska Medical Center.

His immune system is in a weakened state so it isn't a stretch to say he caught something else.

Former Ebola Patient Re-Admitted

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Your title:

"Boston Reports Possible Ebola Case"

Then:

Please get your thread title straight. There is enough fear mongering going on without fabrication.

Peace

But that was the title of the article?

UMass Memorial isolates patient for possible Ebola

"Physicians do not think it is Ebola"

Possible is as possible is.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Is interesting that since the Dallas Liberian man "unexpected" infection, we are seen more and more people been tested from countries that have hot spots of ebola and that have traveled into the US recently, I gather that the government is finally tracking these travelling individuals.

new topics

top topics

join