It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima No. 1 at risk of 26-meter tsunami: Tepco

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
This is just a bad translation or outright scare mongering. When has a tsunami/tidal wave ever been known to be caused by a typhoon/hurricane? I can't think of any.

Storm surges happen every time with a typhoon/hurricane. To my knowledge the highest storm surge for Japan was 13 feet, or 3.9 meters above normal - Wikipedia - Typhoon Vera

... And now countless mainstream news outlets are reporting that this average typhoon is going to have 26 meter (85 foot) waves?! Even a 15 meter storm surge (49 feet) is unbelievable.

Shaking my head at how bad this report is....

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Philippines

You`re right.

Having followed "Andrew," "Katrina," others and knowing about the Dutch `53 water-flood disaster I should have picked up about it being way too high. If it gets really bad the numbers are more likely to be max about 25 feet.

My apologize for this one, I caught bad cold now I know, my neighbour came at the door and the phone went at the same time. I don`t know about others, but my brain doesn`t work that well when I`m ill.

edit on 6-10-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Yes the article was not entirely clear.

It was a hypothetical wave of 25 meters, the Typhoon's final data showed only a 1.1 M storm surge at its greatest level during its run by japan.

1.1 meters is not 25 meters, very misleading article.

God Bless,

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
a reply to: Philippines

You`re right.

Having followed "Andrew," "Katrina," others and knowing about the Dutch `53 water-flood disaster I should have picked up about it being way too high. If it gets really bad the numbers are more likely to be max about 25 feet.

My apologize for this one, I caught bad cold now I know, my neighbour came at the door and the phone went at the same time. I don`t know about others, but my brain doesn`t work that well when I`m ill.

No apology necessary =)

From this link we all can see some of the documented records, and this typhoon didn't enter the game with the criteria for storm surge. Some slower larger moving typhoons can cause devastating floods and become a silent killer though.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join