It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorist Refuses to Show ID at DUI Checkpoint: Do You Have To?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
got to admit i have jumped just about every reply cause answer to the question is if you have nothing to hide then whats the problem? maybe inconvinence but if u ask me the time it takes up is nothing compared to what could be missed,give cops a break.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Driving is a privilege

Driving requires a license from the state.. (As a rule)

No officer will arrest you for forgetting your license at home, they will run you and either issue the ticket or let you go. Unless you are a BUTTHOLE and just not showing the license due to some misguided ignorance of the law and trying to prove something..

I can guarantee that if you use me to prove a point, it will not end up being the point you want to make.

Semper

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Greetings- This is "fishing with a net" . I'm retired from a P.D. in Ca. and have been retired for 10 yrs now. When these first began, the reasoning was pretty solid in it's foundation. Back then, the fuzz had to provide an alternate route for those citizens that wanted to "bow out".. It wasn't until the 3rd or 4th one that "motors" (motorcycle cops) were assigned as "chasers".. I remember the first few were "sponsored" by Uncle Suga and that included concluding patrol calls with a disposition code if drugs/alcohol/both were involved on EVERY CALL. It was under a Federal grant. When these started I was working "Street Crimes" and I worked a total of 3.. They then turned into a $$$ making operation, because as was noted many are operating on suspended licenses which means an impound which means an impound fee from the P.D./Sheriff to get Your car out of jail, once You got Your license up to snuff and ALL Your fines paid.. Ever wonder where "many" of those cars sold at auction come from?

Ever wonder why it takes 4 hours after You call the P.D. for that noise complaint? Because they are out handing out drunk driving pamphlets and poking their nose in Your car.. This of course, divides the division..

"Many" like to work this detail because it is on the "big clock" but when it is ALL shook out at the end it is like the new Mom that goes back to work and Her paycheck barely covers the daycare bill, so in the long run it costs $$..

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

You are being under home land security agenda act. The question, are you still as American citizen, to oppose?

Another question, are you seeing and feeling the change?

I will answer for you. You are conditioned in masses but individually you are under control. Prison state. Funny as US of A sells empty, bloody in absence news to YOU.

edit on 4-10-2014 by darkorange because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I'm not trying to say we shouldn't have to or slam police, put them down or any of that. Most police officers are stand up people that want to help their communities, I respect and appreciate that. I would show my DL in a heartbeat as I've said, but still wonder in the back of my mind if I should really have to, that's all.

I was just wondering about the OP article.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
If you are just driving in your city and encounter a cop that grew up in your town or city and is just trying to figure out if you came from elsewhere to cause trouble, JUST SHOW HIM YOUR DUMB ID.

In you best German accent say "SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!!" In America this is not the way things are...thanks God.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

If you check carefully, when you apply for and obtain your license, you AGREE to hand your license to any, ANY, official that requests it when you are operating a motor vehicle on the roads in that state..

Like the ATS terms and conditions, they expect you to keep your word.. If you don't, you can not drive in the state.

Semper

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Unless you are a BUTTHOLE and just not showing the license due to some misguided ignorance of the law and trying to prove something..

From the article it seems like these guys went in to that checkpoint with the intent not to show ID, film the scene and release the video on youtube.

I actually know the lucky officer that asked for these guys ID's and he is both an excellent and respected police officer in the community (as most police officers are.)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Most police officers are stand up people

I believe this to be true and I've been arrested thirty
three times.

Flagged!
edit on Rpm100414v35201400000036 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: GoOfYFoOt

My town does them in the middle of the day, that's why I'm always a little curious as to why they're really there. Wouldn't a DUI checkpoint make more sense at say 10pm vs 6pm, when people are returning home from work? My suspicion is that they're looking for illegals, the town I live in depends on and is world renown for it's grapes.

I have lived in two states now that do the DUI checkpoints. Both states are the same, it's my opinion that it isn't about protecting us from drunk drivers if they post the frigg'in checkpoint location in the paper the day before. My brother ended up in a big hassle over it because he called them Nazi's when they asked why he was out late and wanted to know where he was going. Thankfully there was a level headed sgt. there that let him pass without a trip to the local jail. It's been years and he is still pissed. I think this is a conditioning on the part of authorities for future control of the population. The same with TSA, viper teams, ICE, etc. They practice while we get ready.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Most police officers are stand up people

I believe this to be true and I've been arrested thirty
three times.

Flagged!

Are we related? LOL My brothers name is Randy, when we were young they always knew him by first name. To Funny.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I thought you had to commit a crime before officers could just stop you and accuse you of it. At these check points, it's an outdoor courtroom. The officer is the judge and jury. You are guilty until you prove your innocence. It's absurd and I've always felt this way about check point chickies.

If a cop sees you weaving while driving or any other signs that you're impaired, then, and only then, should they pull you. When I'm going somewhere, I don't like to be interrupted or accused of a crime and treated like dirt. If they want to catch drunk drivers then park out somewhere and watch.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Oh gawd Marlin, I'm not cop'n to nothin. But I'll say this.
It's the biggest gag of any night out, to be ride'n shot
gun and get sucked into a check point with a good friend
driven his car. I had my friend Ron so worked up in the ten
minutes we waited in line one time. His shirt was soaked from
sweat and his wife sit'n in the back seat said, " Damn Ron, you
ran your fingers thru your hair, so many times. Half of it's in the
back seat with me", as the cops just waved us right thru and we
drove away. His wife and I were still laugh'n hard an hour later.

So it's like anything else, it's what you make of it.

Damn it make that his wife and I
edit on Rpm100414v002014u30 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I think we are all stuck by the wording on drivers lisc. form and when it comes in the mail. They all say when you get it to carry it at all times and we must..."Surrender to Law enforcement upon request".

We read that quickly and put it in our wallets/purses...and then forget its intended purpose: to identify when asked to. So we have to....

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: darkorange

Then wouldn't that have best been served by either not linking my reply and/or typing "let Me ask You a "rhetorical question".. ?

I wouldn't have answered that way because I couldn't understand the question. "Am I still as American citizen, to oppose?" What's this mean? I don't understand the question.

Do I oppose the current "police state"? Is that the question? Let Me ask You a question, Let Me answer that for You.

It doesn't matter what I "think" it only matters what I "do". In My Fed. leo career, "they" wanted Me to 'blow a whistle' on a 'whistleblower' in Fed. court, when I refused I was "drummed out". During My Ca. leo career I NEVER received a 'citizen complaint' and worked in a city that once led the US in murders per capita.

So I actually had some "skin in the game" and You? Sure, I may have been ignorant thinking I could change the culture from within but at the time I tried the internet wasn't so prevalent, I'd probably just sit on anonymous message boards and type what a drag it is, because that is much more helpful then doing something tangible..

LAPD.org PORAC.org

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I think we are all stuck by the wording on drivers lisc. form and when it comes in the mail. They all say when you get it to carry it at all times and we must..."Surrender to Law enforcement upon request".

That's what I was thinking too.
I was curious as to what other ATSers thought.

This happened in my town and it's kind of the talk of the town right now. I know the officer involved and he's a stand up cop, a family guy and one of the most respected police officers in town. Some people are saying they understand why the guys refused to show ID and others are saying just show the darn ID. What I don't like is that these checkpoints are done so early in the day, I feel like they're mainly looking for illegals and people with outstanding warrants and not DUI's.

I'm all about questioning authority, but there's a way that it can be done while complying to the police officers request and being respectful of the officer. My husband saw the video before youtube pulled it and said these guys were calm and collected but yet it escalated to the point warrants had to be issued.

It's a waste of resources, IMHO, for the city to have to do that and my city is still recovering from the 6.0 South Napa Quake that was centered 5 miles outside of town.
edit on 5-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: Their they're there

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
If you're driving and you've done something wrong the cops are in the right to get your ID. If you're just rolling through a DUI checkpoint it's on the cops to determine if you've been drinking. If they can't do that, they don't need to know who you are.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
If you're are the one actually driving, the cops have every right to ask for your licence, registration, and insurance. You might want to actually read your motor vehicle code for the state/province you are in.

If you are a passenger, you are under no obligation to provide them with id.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: erwalker
If you're are the one actually driving, the cops have every right to ask for your licence, registration, and insurance. You might want to actually read your motor vehicle code for the state/province you are in.

If you are a passenger, you are under no obligation to provide them with id.

They have to have a reason to stop you and ask for ID. At a checkpoint they have no reason, it's a fishing exercise. If you get picked and they smell alcohol on your breath? Sure, you need to provide ID at that point. Checkpoints are a little different from getting pulled over.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Yes, the police cannot randomly stop a motorist without cause and demand to see his licence and registration.

However, the police can set up a checkpoint that requires every motorist who passes through it to produce their licence and registration. There are very specific rules for setting up such a checkpoint and these must be strictly followed. These include letting the public know where and when such a checkpoint will be established and checking everyone's licence and registration who passes through the checkpoint, with no exceptions. They may also be combined with DUI checkpoints in those states that have provisions for such checkpoints.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join