It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Overtakes U.S. in Nuclear Warhead Deployment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Moscow Times

With 1,643 nuclear warheads deployed, Moscow has reversed 14 years of U.S. superiority, and now has one more warhead in the field than the Pentagon, according to a U.S. State Department report.

Though both former Cold War adversaries have massively cut their nuclear arsenals since 1991, the data shows that over the past six months — a period that has seen Russia-West relations dive bomb over the crisis in Ukraine — both nations have boosted their nuclear forces.

The report, which is released annually to monitor arms control efforts, has two key metrics — the number of individual nuclear warheads deployed, and the number of launchers and vehicles to deliver those warheads, such as ICBMS, submarines and bomber planes.

Since Russia took control of Crimea they have the number of nuke launchers from 906 to 911 and its arsenal of warheads deployed from 1,512 to 1,643.

Now those numbers only reflect weapons currently deployed... Still in stockpiles are...

According The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, Russia still has 8,000 nuclear weapons, and the U.S. still have over 7,000.

That's a hell of a lot of nukes man and this surge all seems to hinged on the current crisis in Ukraine...
As for me I don't know what to make of it... more posturing like they did during the old cold war days or do they really intend to try a tactical launch?

Either way this is scary news.
edit on 4-10-2014 by HardCorps because: forgot to add news link

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Some say that the nukes will never be used because of MAD; but all it takes is one suicidal maniac to have his finger on the button.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

…what to make of it... more posturing like they did during the old cold war days or do they really intend to try a tactical launch?

MAD is Maddening…

It used to be cited that MAD is working because it kept the two countries from throwing down the gloves, as it were. Who wants to commit country-cide?

Yet the two have also used Proxy wars instead like Vietnam and Syria for instance, as a slow rolling boil alternative to slinging nukes.

So MAD works for the big powers while punishing the little guys.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah but....
This time Russia took control of Crimea... and the US wants them to give it back to Ukraine, it's rightful owners.
But Crimea is home to the Russian Black Sea Fleet... without Crimea and it's sea port... Russia would have no navel bases at all in the Black Sea.... now is that something they would be willing to fight for... oh hell yeah... but is it something to launch a nuke over???

your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Seems like both sides would like a new cold war.... Now why would that be ???

US Drastically Overestimated Soviet Capabilities

American politicians and the public believed that the Soviet Union had hundreds of intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), outmatching the US in bombing capabilities. But over 189 documents were recently released which “showed the Soviets didn’t really have an advantage,” Chief of the CIA’s Historical Collections Division Bruce S. Barkan said.

Inflating the Threat

induce a counterproductive and self-injurious overreaction on the part of its target audience or government.

Soviet Menace Was Hyped

By exaggerating the Soviet menace, these hardliners manipulated the American people into allowing vast sums of taxpayers’ money to flow into the military-industrial complex. But a newly released U.S. document demonstrates how badly the intelligence was distorted

In retrospect, it seems both superpowers had exaggerated Soviet strength

I listened as my new Russian friends laughed when they learned what the U.S. thought of the Soviet threat. The Soviet Army was built on a shoestring. Their real power lay in their posession of nuclear weapons. However, their relative technology and military apparatus was grosely over-estimated by the US

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
Some say that the nukes will never be used because of MAD; but all it takes is one suicidal maniac to have his finger on the button.

I do believe it takes four suicidal maniacs..

One that give the launch codes
One that enter the codes
One that turn the left key in sync with the right key
One that turn the right key in sync with the left key

I hope..

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Good news actually.

The other side has to have an X Amount of bombs to at least be counted as deterrent

Looking at what happened to LIbya and Iraq, they were attacked just because they lacked the bombs.

Iran should get some just like NorKor just to be safe.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I think it would be really unwise for anybody to use nuclear weapons. Nobody,specially USA's rivals would like to join the list of countries who have shot nukes at others. Second, there is one little thing called Mutually Asured Destruction.

Except from terrorist organizations, and I mean real psychos who just want to push the reset button on humanity,its really difficult to imagine there's gonna be any nuclear exchange.We all know the outcome.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
Moscow Times

With 1,643 nuclear warheads deployed, Moscow has reversed 14 years of U.S. superiority, and now has one more warhead in the field than the Pentagon, according to a U.S. State Department report.

Though both former Cold War adversaries have massively cut their nuclear arsenals since 1991, the data shows that over the past six months — a period that has seen Russia-West relations dive bomb over the crisis in Ukraine — both nations have boosted their nuclear forces.

The report, which is released annually to monitor arms control efforts, has two key metrics — the number of individual nuclear warheads deployed, and the number of launchers and vehicles to deliver those warheads, such as ICBMS, submarines and bomber planes.

Since Russia took control of Crimea they have the number of nuke launchers from 906 to 911 and its arsenal of warheads deployed from 1,512 to 1,643.

Now those numbers only reflect weapons currently deployed... Still in stockpiles are...

According The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, Russia still has 8,000 nuclear weapons, and the U.S. still have over 7,000.

That's a hell of a lot of nukes man and this surge all seems to hinged on the current crisis in Ukraine...
As for me I don't know what to make of it... more posturing like they did during the old cold war days or do they really intend to try a tactical launch?

Either way this is scary news.

So, what does it tell you?

2nd.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

This time Russia took control of Crimea… and the US wants them to give it back to Ukraine, it's rightful owners.

You can't fool me. The Russians were asked by the Crimeans in their referendum to protect them from the EU and its hired thugs in order to prevent what happened in Kiev happening in the Crimea. Besides, the Russians were already there.

Nice rewrite of history. Kiev was first, then Crimea.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

This time Russia took control of Crimea… and the US wants them to give it back to Ukraine, it's rightful owners.

You can't fool me. The Russians were asked by the Crimeans in their referendum to protect them from the EU and its hired thugs in order to prevent what happened in Kiev happening in the Crimea. Besides, the Russians were already there.

Nice rewrite of history. Kiev was first, then Crimea.

I concur.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What happened in Kiev were protests to oust the corrupt government.
What happened in Crimea was the annexation of land.
And if it was the USA who took Mexico's lands, you'd be supporting Mexico. Because sovereignty.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: metodex
What happened in Kiev were protests to oust the corrupt government.
What happened in Crimea was the annexation of land.
And if it was the USA who took Mexico's lands, you'd be supporting Mexico. Because sovereignty.

When corrupt government is out, it's place takes another corrupt government. Current government in Ukraine is the same elite ruling the country since 1991, same names.

What happened in Crimea was hearing voice of the people who condemned military coup. For they knew who, why, serving whos interests, projected expectations as an outcome, ethnic threats, push for unwilling consequences, inequality, double talk, disguise, anti Russian agenda, blackmail as a region, potential involvement as part of US of A missile deployment, victims of fault play on national scale.

Or you think people are shallow drones? I am shocked this has to be explained to an average ATS individual. Thought this would come as human logic follows.

Cheers)

edit on 4-10-2014 by darkorange because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: darkorange

You have a lot of problems forming coherent thoughts. It's like your brain was cleansed of all thoughts and very specific words were mixed together. Take a read on what you wrote.

I'm sorry but i refuse to continue this conversation until you seek rehabilitation.

EDIT: What i mean is that you are either following the hatred cult of "blame it on america", or you're a troll. either way you're dellusional.
edit on 4-10-2014 by metodex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

If nukes are used no one wins.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Are you talking about Obama?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

You have a lot of problems forming coherent thoughts. It's like your brain was cleansed of all thoughts and very specific words were mixed together. Take a read on what you wrote.

I'm sorry but i refuse to continue this conversation until you seek rehabilitation.

EDIT: What i mean is that you are either following the hatred cult of "blame it on america", or you're a troll. either way you're dellusional.

You're wrong. He was correct. The US spent $5 billion in funding on NGOs to topple the democratically elected leader of Ukraine, Victor Yanukovich. The US used NAZI thugs to do this. The US violated the Budapest Memorandum which was supposed to uphold the territorial integrity of Ukraine. Ukraine is now a failed state, just like Libya, and just like Iraq. That is the pattern. Whenever the US decides to use local radicals to overthrow legitimate governments that were not a threat to the US, in violation of international law, the result is a failed state. The people of Crimea and Novorussia decided not to be ruled by a fascist junta that planned their genocide. Crimea voted to join Russia in full compliance with international law. It is you who are delusional, but you will never understand this.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Wow Russia the stewards of peace sure have a lot of Nukes. The MOST. Hmmmm.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Adaluncatif

Are you talking about Obama?

i was thinking Putin since Putin is the one bragging about its nuclear stockpile and what he can do with it.

Personally I thin he is doing it on purpose because he knows the current state of the Russian armed forces is not enough to withstand a modern war without the use of nuclear weapons.

Although Putin supporters seem to not understand that radiation and fall out don't stop at the border.
edit on 8-10-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Adaluncatif

You're wrong. He was correct. The US spent $5 billion in funding on NGOs to topple the democratically elected leader of Ukraine, Victor Yanukovich. The US used NAZI thugs to do this. The US violated the Budapest Memorandum which was supposed to uphold the territorial integrity of Ukraine. Ukraine is now a failed state, just like Libya, and just like Iraq. That is the pattern. Whenever the US decides to use local radicals to overthrow legitimate governments that were not a threat to the US, in violation of international law, the result is a failed state. The people of Crimea and Novorussia decided not to be ruled by a fascist junta that planned their genocide. Crimea voted to join Russia in full compliance with international law. It is you who are delusional, but you will never understand this.

You have the Official Story down pat. Letter perfect. Just keep repeating it so that people think you believe it. (Under no circumstances question the Official Story!)

new topics

<<   2 >>

join